Thanksgiving

Scrapdolly

Mouseketeer
please can any US residents who may know tell me if there are fast food restaurants and gas stations open on thanksgiving ... Not in Florida ... Actually in Tenessee, Kentucky and Illinois

I am not sure if it is a shut down of everything or if essentials like gas will be open and would be nice to grab food on the way

Thanks in advance

If it's anything like Arizona some stuff will be open. Here all Jack in the box's are open and some McDonald's, even Starbucks.

please can any US residents who may know tell me if there are fast food restaurants and gas stations open on thanksgiving ... Not in Florida ... Actually in Tenessee, Kentucky and Illinois

I am not sure if it is a shut down of everything or if essentials like gas will be open and would be nice to grab food on the way

Thanks in advance

Usually, bigger gas stations along the interstates are open. It's a hit and miss about restaurants.

I would check with the chamber of commerces of specific areas you are traveling through to see what the local practice is.

Most chambers will have a website with contact info.

Most gas stations around Nashville are open. Walmart is too, but they have a bunch of stuff roped off for black friday. Not sure about fast food, but we go out to the Palm on Thanksgiving sometimes and often on Xmas eve, and there are other nicer places open.

Thanksgiving is a big travel day here, so you should be fine along main routes like interstates. (Those are the ones labeled "I-___" so you're probably looking at I-65 based on the states you mentioned.)

your in for a treat, gas station food is so delicious and there bathrooms are so clean you can lick the floor

I worked in a call center and one day we were talking about germs and wiping down the keyboards in between shifts because we didn’t have a dedicated cubicle. I said I wasn’t afraid of germs and picked up my keyboard and licked it to prove my point.

I won a lot of respect that day LMAO

You should be fine in Tennessee. Not everything will be open, but many restaurants will be open at least part of the day. Gas stations along the interstates should be open for business as usual as well, but when in doubt fill the tank when you see an open station. :-)

Thanks in advance

Just let me know your planned route of travel and I can give you the best places to stop. I commonly travel in all three of those states and already have my stops hard wired.

Yes, a LOT of things will be closed.
But, necessary stops along the Interstates will be open and operating.
Thanksgiving is a HUGE travel-day.

There are always the dumb Early Black Friday sales.
But, yes, many restaurants and establishments will be closed.

Cracker Barrel restaurants are open for most of the day, serving Thanksgiving Dinner.

Happy Travels!

I can't speak to Tenessee, Kentucky and Illinois .Gas stations around here are open every day without regard to holidays. Thanksgiving is a HUGE business day for nicer restaurants, and most are already booked solid. Fast food places are going to be hit or miss. A lot of us will be working and need a place to eat. And it is a huge day for catering companies since many companies that are open on Thanksgiving bring in a holiday meal for those working.
I know here the Noodles Chain is closed to the public on Thanksgiving, but they will be working preparing catered food for all the retail workers working holiday sales on Thanksgiving. The stores bring food in. The manager of Noodles told me they prepared more food on Thanksgiving.....a day they were closed to the public....than another other day of the year. It was a "all hands on deck" situation to deal with the huge catering orders.

A lot of places will be closed, especially as the day goes on. Before noon or 1pm, you'll have no trouble finding somewhere to stop. After that it gets trickier. Major gas stations along the interstates should be open, but many fast food restaurants will be closed.

Thanks in advance

It will be hit or miss. Small towns will be closed.

They announced this week that all the malls here in STL MO will be closed on TD this yr. There is a big trend here to have things closed on TD.

I would plan this trip carefully if you are looking for a hot meal.

Cracker Barrel might be a good TD option, but it will be busy! Call ahead to see if they are open and if they are doing reservations. Wait times are long, so factor that in with your driving schedule.

Last edited:
Rest stops on the turnpike or major highways in NJ are open 24/7 which includes all of the fast food places in them. I would assume most states are like that.

I know in my area some fast food places are open until about 2 pm on Thanksgiving.

Thank you all for your help - we are sorted for a proper evening meal in St Louis ... it was gas that was really worrying us.

You have all been brilliant.
we are travelling on Interstates all the way I24, I 169 and I 64 so it sounds like we should be OK for gas and we are not going to starve if we don't eat till we get to St Louis.

Denny's should be open, at least they were last year. My son's marching band and choir went down to Disney, and we followed. We drove down from Pennsylvania and left Thanksgiving morning. Had dinner at a Denny's that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter