• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thanksgiving vs. week before Christmas

swimrunmom

Earning My Ears
Hello,

So due to my compromised immune system we are unfortunately going to have to reschedule our upcoming trip. I have two teens that don't want to miss school and I am heat intolerant so summer is out. That leaves Thanksgiving , it would be Wednesday before through Saturday or the week before Xmas, Dec. 19- 23. Already have a trip spring break next year, so that time period is out. I know both will be incredibly crowded, but for those who have been, which might be the best time to go? Any insights to either of these weeks would be really appreciated!🙂

Hello,

So due to my compromised immune system we are unfortunately going to have to reschedule our upcoming trip. I have two teens that don't want to miss school and I am heat intolerant so summer is out. That leaves Thanksgiving , it would be
1. Wednesday before through Saturday
2. or the week before Xmas, Dec. 19- 23.
Speaking GENERALLY:
1. Busy.
2. Somewhat less busy.

Speaking for THIS YEAR...
Who knows?

Busy? Yes, but certainly worth it. MVM Christmas Party, Christmas tree walk at Disney Springs, so many resort decorations. Either time will be fabulous! 😃

We visited 16 to 26 December and it was, honestly, not busy until 24th and even then it was great fun, because people were in such good spirit. It was a tad chilly though but also nice to be able to wear jeans and not be ‘glowing’.

Hello,

So due to my compromised immune system we are unfortunately going to have to reschedule our upcoming trip. I have two teens that don't want to miss school and I am heat intolerant so summer is out. That leaves Thanksgiving , it would be Wednesday before through Saturday or the week before Xmas, Dec. 19- 23. Already have a trip spring break next year, so that time period is out. I know both will be incredibly crowded, but for those who have been, which might be the best time to go? Any insights to either of these weeks would be really appreciated!🙂

With Christmas being on Friday this year, you'll be coming in at the same time as all the Christmas crowds. I'd do the week of Thanksgiving. They will both be busy, but I think Thanksgiving will be slightly less.

With Christmas being on Friday this year, you'll be coming in at the same time as all the Christmas crowds. I'd do the week of Thanksgiving. They will both be busy, but I think Thanksgiving will be slightly less.
Oh that is a very good point!

We are considering one of these options, too. We have 2 summer vacations booked - a quick June trip to Disneyland (we are in CA), and a longer July trip to a national park. I'm preparing for the possibility that none of that will be happening, so we're considering a Christmas WDW trip as an option. I'm a teacher, so it's either Thanksgiving week or Dec 19-28. I'd lean towards the Christmas option, but the crowds make me nervous!

we've not been during Thanksgiving (although I'd love to one year) but have been both the week before and week after Christmas and I would not hesitate to go either time again. The week before Christmas is definitely less crowded than the week after but it's festive just a fun time to go

I would choose the week before Christmas. We went Thanksgiving last year, and it was the busiest I've ever seen WDW. Actually, it wasn't Thanksgiving Day that was so busy (went to DHS and AK). But Epcot on Good Friday and MK on the Saturday after were miserable. I've always loved our trips right before Christmas. The latest we've stayed is December 23.

I could be completely wrong but I am thinking that the time before Christmas might not be that bad. Schools here in NJ will be in session through 12/23 since Christmas is so late in the week. Happy to hear other people's thoughts.

IMO, the week before Christmas will be less busy than the week of Thanksgiving. Schools here in NY will still be in session during your December dates. And frankly, with the way the economy and people's jobs have been impacted, there will be people who can't swing a Disney trip right before Christmas.

The only con between those dates is that late December has a higher chance of cooler temperatures than late November. Anything is possible for either time frame, but the December dates would be less likely to have warm enough temperatures for pool time, and I would recommend bringing lots of layering clothes.

Both will be busy.
We have done Thanksgiving several times and it has been variable, not busy to very busy.
I would still pick the week before Christmas.
As others have noted, with the economy downturn, there may be less people going to Disney right before Christmas.

I could be completely wrong but I am thinking that the time before Christmas might not be that bad. Schools here in NJ will be in session through 12/23 since Christmas is so late in the week. Happy to hear other people's thoughts.

This is interesting! Almost all CA districts always have 2 full weeks off, so I didn't even realize other states wouldn't be out the 18th.

This is interesting! Almost all CA districts always have 2 full weeks off, so I didn't even realize other states wouldn't be out the 18th.
Most schools in NJ and the Philly area are off around 12/24-1/1 depending on when the days fall. It’s rare for a public school to have off longer but some private schools give two weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter