Thanksgiving recommendations

julieheyer

Crazy for the Mouse!
Hi!

We're going to be in SF area for Thanksgiving week. We're actually staying in Hayward for the week. There are 8 of us, 4 girls 9-13 and 4 adults. We're planning a day to Yosemite, and a day in SF to do the touristy things. I'd love suggestions on what to do, see, visit. We're thinking a day in wine country but not sure what's kid friendly there?

Also, since we're there on Thanksgiving day, could someone recommend a place to get lunch/dinner that day? I've been looking online, but can't seem to find a good option or 2?

Thanks!

We spent that week in SF a couple years ago.

I can't really help you where to eat on TG day, we had a kitchen and did a simple dinner together. We are a family of 4 (Girls were 7 and 10 at the time) and had a great time.

Drove down to Carmel and Monterey one day to see the aquarium and the mission. Spent alot of time at Golden Gate Park at the playground and the science museum. Went to the Childrens Museum near the palace of fine arts. The kids loved the Cable cars and China town. There is a trampoline place in the Presidio just East of the South end of the Golden Gate Bridge that was helpful to burn energy. Spent an afternoon in Berkley and looked around the campus for awhile and had lunch. Went to a Womens soccer game at Stanford. We were there for a week and could have easily stayed another week as we were never at a loss to find something to do.

Have fun and just look for things that the kids have interest in.

PDuckX said:
We spent that week in SF a couple years ago.

I can't really help you where to eat on TG day, we had a kitchen and did a simple dinner together. We are a family of 4 (Girls were 7 and 10 at the time) and had a great time.

Drove down to Carmel and Monterey one day to see the aquarium and the mission. Spent alot of time at Golden Gate Park at the playground and the science museum. Went to the Childrens Museum near the palace of fine arts. The kids loved the Cable cars and China town. There is a trampoline place in the Presidio just East of the South end of the Golden Gate Bridge that was helpful to burn energy. Spent an afternoon in Berkley and looked around the campus for awhile and had lunch. Went to a Womens soccer game at Stanford. We were there for a week and could have easily stayed another week as we were never at a loss to find something to do.

Have fun and just look for things that the kids have interest in.

Thank you!! I appreciate your reply. I'm looking forward to GG park too! Toying w/ Alcatraz. Dh would like to see it, and it sure is popular!

Looking on yelp for restaurant ideas. We'll have a little kitchenette, but I don't think I could make Tgiving dinner in it? Hmmm, it would be nice though. Dh wants to get Chinese!

Thank you!! I appreciate your reply. I'm looking forward to GG park too! Toying w/ Alcatraz. Dh would like to see it, and it sure is popular!

Looking on yelp for restaurant ideas. We'll have a little kitchenette, but I don't think I could make Tgiving dinner in it? Hmmm, it would be nice though. Dh wants to get Chinese!

When I said simple dinner, I meant very simple. We went to Safeway and got a pre-cooked turkey breast, boxed mashed potatoes, boxed stuffing, can of cranberry sauce, and can of green beans. Not the best thanksgiving dinner, but we all will remember it. I must say it wasn't all that bad of a dinner either. I can remember one or two way back that were similar.

I remember the City being pretty dead so it was easy to get around. We didn't really have any schedule other than Monterey and just rode the trolleys and busses and got off when ever we saw something we wanted to check out. The San Francisco City Pass as a great way to go, you get bus/Trolley passes and tickets for several attractions at a good price. I would recommend buying them at the Alcatraz booth. It will give you a guaranteed pass to the Island (which sells out fast).

Have a good time.

There is a site called GotDailydeals.com there is a deal for the Walt Disney Museum in SF in the Presidio. The tickets are 10 dollars , that is half off. Sorry don't have the link.

Look on opentable.com for dinner reservations... We ate last year at.... Palomar? Palomino? I think it was.... we are local but I hate cooking so we went out! It was pretty good.

Kim

The Exploratorium in San Francisco is amazing
Chinese - Our hands down, eat there several times per visit is:
Washington Street Bakery and Restaurant on Washington St. in China Town

mamacatnv said:
The Exploratorium in San Francisco is amazing
Chinese - Our hands down, eat there several times per visit is:
Washington Street Bakery and Restaurant on Washington St. in China Town

Thanks! We've read such mixed reviews on Chinatown. Good to see a recommendation. Thx!

PDuckX said:
When I said simple dinner, I meant very simple. We went to Safeway and got a pre-cooked turkey breast, boxed mashed potatoes, boxed stuffing, can of cranberry sauce, and can of green beans. Not the best thanksgiving dinner, but we all will remember it. I must say it wasn't all that bad of a dinner either. I can remember one or two way back that were similar.

I remember the City being pretty dead so it was easy to get around. We didn't really have any schedule other than Monterey and just rode the trolleys and busses and got off when ever we saw something we wanted to check out. The San Francisco City Pass as a great way to go, you get bus/Trolley passes and tickets for several attractions at a good price. I would recommend buying them at the Alcatraz booth. It will give you a guaranteed pass to the Island (which sells out fast).

Have a good time.

We are doing Alcatraz now. Should we get the tickets in advance? The selling out thing I've read on tripadvisor too. Thx!

usnuzuloose said:
There is a site called GotDailydeals.com there is a deal for the Walt Disney Museum in SF in the Presidio. The tickets are 10 dollars , that is half off. Sorry don't have the link.

Thx! I'd love that, but dh will be a bit disneyed out :(. He can only indulge my Disney obsession so far;).

gatorfreud said:
Look on opentable.com for dinner reservations... We ate last year at.... Palomar? Palomino? I think it was.... we are local but I hate cooking so we went out! It was pretty good.

Kim

Thanks! Good suggestion! Wonder how much the restaurants will be upcharging. We've never eaten out on Thanksgiving. :)

Thx! I'd love that, but dh will be a bit disneyed out :(. He can only indulge my Disney obsession so far;).

We just went a few weeks ago. While there is obviously Disney memorabilia around, the museum focuses on his career and family life. There aren't princesses and giant mice wandering around. We thought it was really interesting and emotional. When we were there it was a quiet and reflective mood, not chaotic and theme-parky. And the view of the bridge from the second floor is amazing.

I Have taken my kids wine tasting before...We usually would go more in Sonoma, to smaller wineries. For instance, Ridge had chalk for the kids to draw on the sidewalk with....the owners of Trenadue, took them riding in the golf cart. They liked the massive gardens at Ferrari carnaros.

Sterling over off 12 past napa has a gondola that will take you up the hillside...kids liked that.

We are doing Alcatraz now. Should we get the tickets in advance? The selling out thing I've read on tripadvisor too. Thx!

You might check, but we bought our tickets the day before at the booth with the City Pass which gave us next day reservations. If you are doing the City pass you can do it that way. If no City pass you should call ahead for a reservation. Try to go early, it gets really crowded.

There is enough in the City for girls that age for a whole week's worth of fun. I would also suggest not going to Sonoma or Napa for wine tasting with the kids- the wineries there are in general not kid friendly. There are some wineries in Livermore and some in Santa Clara and Santa Cruz areas that are more low key and family friendly. I would suggest The Tech Museum in San Jose- Mythbusters special exhibit will be going then- lots of hands on fun for the girls. Buy your Alcatraz tickets now- they will sell out during the holiday weekend. I would go whale watching in Monterey, and the boardwalk is open on the weekends in Santa Cruz, I would also take the girls horseback riding in Half Moon Bay- if they have experience they can ride the horses on the beach- we took our girls last year and it was amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter