Thanks Uncle Sam! I'm going to Disneyland! PTR

jedijill

Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
This trip wasn't supposed to happen. In fact, it may still be a figment of my imagination. You see, I promised myself I was taking this year off from going to WDW. I'm a DVC member but with a small contract. I travel solo so usually just get a studio which works perfectly for me. Well, until 3 years ago when I had the brilliant idea of offering to use my points to book a 2BR villa at AKV for my niece and nephew's first trip. We loved it...sadly, it used up 2 years of points and I've been borrowing every since. So I vowed to take this year off and let my points catch up. Before you feel too sorry for me, I have a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan booked on the newly re-imagined Magic in September.

So a couple of years ago I started thinking it was time I ventured back to the place that started it all but it just hadn't worked out. Last time I ventured out West was in March 2005 when Space Mountain was down during the big rebuild and during preps for the 50th. After Carsland opened, I really started to get the itch. However, I had plans and just hadn't figured out a way to make it work.

Fast forward to this winter and tax time. I *finally* sold my house back in Missouri after renting it out for almost 5 years after I moved to Denver. I was scared of the tax implications and had decided to just hunker down and prepare for the worst. Imagine my sheer delight when I discovered that I was worried needlessly and in fact fared far better than I anticipated! So after using the money for responsible things like paying off some small debts, I decided last week to put the money to an even better use by booking a trip to DL!

So a little about myself. I'm single and live in Denver, Colorado which is my dream location (sorry Missouri..you can't compete with seeing the mountains everyday!) I've been to both WDW and DL as well as DLP. I have an awesome mini dachshund named Bailey who gets to go play with a family of 2 kids that adore her when I'm off on my adventures!

Planning in the next post.

Jill in CO

I'm here, Jill, and reading along.

I'm so glad you are going and I will be coming to you for lots of tips as Mark and I plan on going in 2015.

I don't think I knew that you had lived in Missouri prior to Denver.

Bailey is adorable.

Trying to find dates was easier said than done.

I am going back to KC in a couple of weeks to see my niece and nephew during my nephew's spring break and then a friend from MN is coming to Colorado the next week to visit her daughter that just moved here. Then another trip back to Philly for business the first full week of April then its Easter. I'm planning on spending some time with one of my friends that I've made here on the Disney so I'm trying to work around her schedule as well.

That left the week of March 29-April 5 so I requested the days off Monday when I got to work on Monday. I bought a 5 day PH through the Ebates/Orbits 20% deal on Monday night. Today at work, when I was supposed to be putting a report together, I booked flights from Denver to LAX. I would have preferred to fly into SNA but the flights were double! I $107 each way for nonstop flights. That means I have to take the 5:30AM flight on the 29th and get into LAX at 7AM! I have a 8:15pm flight back to Denver on the 5th.

I'm still working on a hotel. My heart wants The Disneyland Hotel but my adult brain says no! It's about $1000 more than staying at one of the offsite Good Neighbor hotels. I'm still struggling to pick one. I've polled friends on Facebook and I just can't settle on anything. All have pros and cons and some of the top contenders like the Candy Cane Inn is already booked. Ugh, its so hard to make an adult decision!!!!

Jill in CO

I'm here, Jill, and reading along.

I'm so glad you are going and I will be coming to you for lots of tips as Mark and I plan on going in 2015.

I don't think I knew that you had lived in Missouri prior to Denver.

Bailey is adorable.

Thanks for joining in Kathy!

I'm born and raised in Missouri and moved to Denver from KC in 2008 for a new job. My family still all lives in KC.

Thanks for compliments on Bailey. She's my little buddy. I picked her out when she was 4 days old and she came home when she was 7 weeks. She turned 9 the day after Christmas. Sorry...that was way too much. :)

Jill in CO

I'm in!

I hope you figure out the hotel situation. I wish I could help. We only stay out there if we stay onsite with points.

Looking forward to your visit!

I'm here!

That is a great price on the flights!!!!!!!!!

We are staying at the Anabella for the DL half, I've stayed there before and have been quite happy. Super easy walk across the street. Have stayed at one of the Sheraton's as well, it was "just" far away enough that it bugged me, though it was perfectly fine as a hotel.

The fact that a prom or something was there during our stay for part of it, and a knitting convention (no joke) didn't really help.

YAY Uncle Sam!!!

I really need to do our taxes, I'm always terrified.

Present and accounted for as well.

Bailey is adorable! Awesome airfare deal.

The Aussies like HoJo; especially if you get on their mailing list and hope for a special mid-week rate.

I like Candy Cane as well. Lately, we've been staying at the Residence Inn Maingate. It is about a 15 minute walk to the gate; and it's fine for my family. It's just a matter of whether it suits you or not.

Good luck with the accommodation decision.

Looking forward to this trip report. Not long to go now. :banana:

Awesome that you were able to pay off bills and go for a trip :) hopefully crowds won't be too bad, usually thats right in the middle of spring breaks. Awesome prices on flights!

I'm here!

That is a great price on the flights!!!!!!!!!

We are staying at the Anabella for the DL half, I've stayed there before and have been quite happy. Super easy walk across the street. Have stayed at one of the Sheraton's as well, it was "just" far away enough that it bugged me, though it was perfectly fine as a hotel.

The fact that a prom or something was there during our stay for part of it, and a knitting convention (no joke) didn't really help.

YAY Uncle Sam!!!

I really need to do our taxes, I'm always terrified.

Im here for the adventure :) must come back and read.

Present and accounted for as well.

Bailey is adorable! Awesome airfare deal.

The Aussies like HoJo; especially if you get on their mailing list and hope for a special mid-week rate.

I like Candy Cane as well. Lately, we've been staying at the Residence Inn Maingate. It is about a 15 minute walk to the gate; and it's fine for my family. It's just a matter of whether it suits you or not.

Good luck with the accommodation decision.

Looking forward to this trip report. Not long to go now. :banana:

Awesome that you were able to pay off bills and go for a trip :) hopefully crowds won't be too bad, usually thats right in the middle of spring breaks. Awesome prices on flights!

:welcome: everyone!

I'm super excited about this "bonus trip!"

I stayed at the HoJo in 2005 and liked it but the prices have really gone up since then. The flight times aren't the greatest but you can't beat the price. The fun part is that I flight back super late Saturday night and then have to spend Sunday packing to get ready to go to Philadelphia on Monday morning. Ugh!

Jill in CO

Hotel Update

I started reading emails this morning when I got to work and I saw that Orbitz was having a flash sale on the Anabella at 40% off. I logged in through Ebates to get some cash back. The flash sale brought the Anabella down to an average of $125/night which is much better than the other comparable hotels in the area. Total was going to be about $1100 with taxes. I remembered at the last minute to try the 20% Orbitz code and it worked!!!!! It brought my total down to $867 for the week!!!!!!! :cheer2:

I'm so excited!!! I didn't dream I could find such a good deal!!! Now I'm off to find a rental car deal.

(I can tell I'm not getting much work done today!)

Jill in CO

How exciting! I live just north of you in severance Co just outside Fort Collins in headed out to dl this weekend and I'm plotting to go to dw soon. I bought tickets from DIA to sna but I paid a little more and we have a short layover.

How exciting! I live just north of you in severance Co just outside Fort Collins in headed out to dl this weekend and I'm plotting to go to dw soon. I bought tickets from DIA to sna but I paid a little more and we have a short layover.

:wave2: neighbor! I'm in SE Denver. This is a good weekend to go to DL to avoid the snow and cold weather! Have a great trip!

I really like nonstops if I can get them...I just want to get there!

Jill in CO

:wave2: neighbor! I'm in SE Denver. This is a good weekend to go to DL to avoid the snow and cold weather! Have a great trip!

I really like nonstops if I can get them...I just want to get there!

Jill in CO

I did the layover because my mom lives in Las Vegas and she is getting on the same flight and then we will share a taxi. I always look up tickets all over and end up flying southwest. We got the winter offer so we are staying a PPH. Ill waive to you Sunday morning! We are leaving here at 5am for DIA.

I did the layover because my mom lives in Las Vegas and she is getting on the same flight and then we will share a taxi. I always look up tickets all over and end up flying southwest. We got the winter offer so we are staying a PPH. Ill waive to you Sunday morning! We are leaving here at 5am for DIA.

That makes a lot of sense! I love SW! I just couldn't justify paying for onsite for a bonus trip. :) Next trip will be GCH for sure!

Jill in CO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter