Thanks a lot, Verizon

china mom

DIS Veteran
DH and I snuck out to the Verizon store today to try to purchase new cell phones for the Kids' Christmas presents. They were not in stock so we ordered them. When we got home, both kids showed me texts from Verizon thanking them for their purchase.

I might have covered by telling them that we upped the data plan to unlimited as a surprise but chances are the older one isn't buying it.

Does anyone else have a ruined surprise story?

I hate how any thing on the Grid, decides to show people that you didn't want to show, its so hard to be sneaky now a days

It's happened a few times over the years. An email will slip through telling about an online Christmas or birthday purchase and the recipient sees it before I do. :(

When DH bought a big screen t.v. our bank called to verify that it was a legitimate purchase. I didn't know anything about it, but said yes, it was legit.

Can't blame Verizon.
Its standard procedure.
Their system didn't know you were surprising your kids.

Its like the poster recently that claimed Disney ruined their surprise because DME info came in an envelope that said important rip info inside.
Disney does this so you don't mistake it for junk mail.

I tried to plan a surprise Disney trip... Credit card company called because they thought it was a fraudulent charge and left a message on the answering machine that DH heard.

Couple of times, first time was my own rookie mistake with Amazon. Of course Amazon shows everything you recently viewed so even without looking at the actual purchases they pretty much knew what they were getting lol. (Now I not only make sure that feature is turned off I also made my own separate amazon account for just for Christmas and birthday purchases).

Second time was also from Amazon, my son is into making films and really wanted this prop sword. Great! Then they delivered it propped up against the front door, not even in a cardboard box but right in the manufacturers box with PROP SWORD emblazoned on it along with a photo. Of course my son was the first one home so there went that surprise. He still loved it though haha

All 4 of us get the auto texts from Verizon when there are any changes to our account. Sorry it ruined the surprise tho.

DH and I snuck out to the Verizon store today to try to purchase new cell phones for the Kids' Christmas presents. They were not in stock so we ordered them. When we got home, both kids showed me texts from Verizon thanking them for their purchase.

I might have covered by telling them that we upped the data plan to unlimited as a surprise but chances are the older one isn't buying it.

Does anyone else have a ruined surprise story?
Did Verizon know they were Christmas presents? Stinks that they didn't take precautions not to ruin a child's surprise.

I have never had Verizon so can't speak to the company, but sitting in the mobile section of Best Buy for several hours yesterday, there were so many complaints about Verizon and that Verizon wouldn't let people get the same deals as the other carriers. One person wanted to finance an iPhone (not a lease) and Verizon would not allow them to do that with iPhones, although the other carriers offered multiple options. They ended up switching carriers and porting their numbers while I sat there.

I bought a combo of 5 phones yesterday (iPhone Xs and Note 9s) as presents for all our kids. Sprint was awesome (actually the Sprint rep at Best Buy.) Since the Black Friday deals required immediate activation, the Sprint lady at Best Buy activated the phones and then turned right around and put the old phones back on the plan. They weren't down more than a couple of minutes. No one noticed.

On Christmas, since the phones are already on the account, we just have to log in and swap them again. No notifications were sent to the individual phones, just to the main account (DH and mine.)

And bonus, when she saw how long we had been with Sprint, she waived the activation fees, saving me $120 on top of the Black Friday deals.

I feel for you though, because I have had surprises ruined. A couple of years ago, I bought my husband furniture for his office. It said it was going to be delivered a week before Christmas and I had the shipping address of the neighbors on it.

Less than a week after Black Friday, DH called me and asked why there was a huge furniture box sitting in the middle of our driveway. Not only did they not deliver it to shipping address, they just dumped it in the driveway of the billing address with no notice. Good thing it wasn't snowing.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter