Terrible food at Disneyland this week

I think when you eat at the parks frequently you find hidden gems at counter service. I rarely do sit down, but if it do it’s Lamplight Lounge brunch or lunch/dinner, or Craftsman Bar in the GCH. I’ve personally never had a bad meal at either of those places. I also had a good meal at Hearthstone Lounge in the GCH.

For me, the best counter service in the parks is in Galaxy’s Edge. I love most things at Docking Bay 7 and all the Ronto Wraps (breakfast, regular and plant based). The chocolate popcorn sold in this land is one of my favorite treats. I will walk from Main Street to Galaxy’s Edge just for lunch.

Rancho Del Zocalo has good food at decent prices and plenty of seating.

Red Rose Tavern has some decent items: the flatbread is inexpensive and pretty good and we often order their tots as a snack. So good!

In DCA, Award Wieners is surprisingly good. Yes, it’s hotdogs, but they are GOOD hotdogs with great fries at a good price and big portions.

Pym’s Test Kitchen has the yummy chicken schnitzel (it’s really not a sandwich) and more awesome tots.

I agree with ALL of this, although we aren't a big hot dog family. I have like one or 2 a year, one of them being a hot link corndog from the Castle. But the Carne asada fries at Award Weiners are FANTASTIC. I forgot about those. Ronto Wrap is the best singular food item at DLP also.

I'm kind of the opposite when it comes to QS. There is very little QS at DLR I want to/will eat. I won't touch most of the favorites people mention. I'm an annoyingly picky eater.

But that makes it really distressing to me when the things I like go away or change for the worse. I did love the Mediterranean food and Bengal skewers/rice plate.

I have to say that we had an absolutely amazing experience at Napa Rose last night. The food was both delicious and beautifully presented. The staff was friendly and very attentive. It was definitely on par with our previous visits. I was actually pretty worried going in last night after a few of the reviews, but it was a delightful meal and delightful evening.

The breakfast this morning at Jolly Holiday, on the other hand, was incredibly “meh.” The egg and bacon croissants were served room temperature and so was my macchiato. My husband’s black coffee was hot, so maybe they didn’t steam the milk? The yogurt parfaits were way too sweet and the fruit underripe.

Lunch at Harbour Gallery was pretty good. I enjoyed my lobster roll, DH said the muffuletta salad was tasty, and both DDs enjoyed their clam chowder bread bowls.

We have dinner reservations at Blue Bayou tonight. It’s definitely been hit and miss for us in the past, so we will see. Pirate’s was closed last time we came and both of our DDs put BB on their “must do” list. At the very least, I’ll enjoy the ambiance.

I have to say that we had an absolutely amazing experience at Napa Rose last night. The food was both delicious and beautifully presented. The staff was friendly and very attentive. It was definitely on par with our previous visits. I was actually pretty worried going in last night after a few of the reviews, but it was a delightful meal and delightful evening.

The breakfast this morning at Jolly Holiday, on the other hand, was incredibly “meh.” The egg and bacon croissants were served room temperature and so was my macchiato. My husband’s black coffee was hot, so maybe they didn’t steam the milk? The yogurt parfaits were way too sweet and the fruit underripe.

Lunch at Harbour Gallery was pretty good. I enjoyed my lobster roll, DH said the muffuletta salad was tasty, and both DDs enjoyed their clam chowder bread bowls.

We have dinner reservations at Blue Bayou tonight. It’s definitely been hit and miss for us in the past, so we will see. Pirate’s was closed last time we came and both of our DDs put BB on their “must do” list. At the very least, I’ll enjoy the ambiance.
Those disappointing experiences reported for Napa Rose have been very concerning. Glad you had a good meal, and I look forward to hearing about Blue Bayou.

Those disappointing experiences reported for Napa Rose have been very concerning. Glad you had a good meal, and I look forward to hearing about Blue Bayou.
Yes, I REALLY hope to see more good reviews about NR. Maybe DLR is beginning to respond to the feedback.

I love table service, and at WDW I’ll book 2 TS meals a day, but I’ve determined that outside of Lamplight, Carthay Circle, and the GCH restaurants, it’s really not worth it.

I like the break that a sit down lunch provides but Rancho Del Zocalo and Docking bay 7 just have better food than cafe orleans, River belle, blue bayou or carnation cafe. There’s really nothing worth the price and logistics of sit down in Disneyland.

At DCA I still like Lamplight a lot. Carthay is overpriced but I’ve always found the food pretty good (except when we ordered the vegan special once which was disgusting), and we like the cocktail options. Craftsman Grill is solid though not spectacular. I’ve only done Napa Rose twice and liked it a lot both times (unlike Blue Bayou the food is at least good, though probably 2x what it should cost), though sounds like NR may have gone downhill.

I’m not a fan of most of the DTD restaurants. Those could really be upgraded. Ballast point is pretty good. Never liked Naples or the Jazz place. Tortilla Jo’s is nothing special.

I’m shocked that pizza planet is getting love here, I thought it was disgusting but I did get pizza, not pasta.

Blue Bayou was decent tonight. Not great, but decent. DH and I both had the scallops. On a scale of excellent, good, fair, poor, or unacceptable, we thought the perfectly cooked scallops were a solid “good.” If the seasoning had just a smidgen/pinch less salt they might even have rated an excellent. They weren’t salty, just a touch too much used on the seasoning. My DD 20 gave both the corn fritters and mushroom ragu pasta a solid “good” and said if the pesto on the pasta had been a tad more flavorful, it might have gotten an excellent. My DH gave the pork shank a “good.” The only downside was my prime rib. I’d give it a “fair.” There was a bit of fat on it, though to be fair, the slice was so big I couldn’t finish eating it. The roasted brussel sprouts were delicious and I don’t typically like brussel sprouts. But the meat was just okay and I did not like the sauce it came with. I definitely would have preferred a horseradish sauce. Part of the problem is that my DH and my dad both cook some exceptionally good prime rib, so getting something at a restaurant that’s a few steps down is a disappointment. The service was good to good plus. Very friendly and attentive staff. Our water glasses were never less than half full. I didn’t feel rushed but I also didn’t feel encouraged to linger (understandable, I think). We did not have dessert as the starter and main were so filling, we definitely did not have room.

Oh, and the wine list was nice, too! Can’t remember what my DH had but I had a Frank Family Chardonnay with my scallops and a few sips of his red with my prime rib.

Our food has been lukewarm the last two times we’ve eaten at CC. We have not been thrilled with the table service restaurants for awhile…. Smaller portions and the quality is down.

The best meal we’ve had in awhile was actually at Wine Country….. the food was hot, good quality, and tasted good. This was 11/30/22.
We had a fantastic meal at WCT in early November too!

Blue Bayou was decent tonight. Not great, but decent. DH and I both had the scallops. On a scale of excellent, good, fair, poor, or unacceptable, we thought the perfectly cooked scallops were a solid “good.” If the seasoning had just a smidgen/pinch less salt they might even have rated an excellent. They weren’t salty, just a touch too much used on the seasoning. My DD 20 gave both the corn fritters and mushroom ragu pasta a solid “good” and said if the pesto on the pasta had been a tad more flavorful, it might have gotten an excellent. My DH gave the pork shank a “good.” The only downside was my prime rib. I’d give it a “fair.” There was a bit of fat on it, though to be fair, the slice was so big I couldn’t finish eating it. The roasted brussel sprouts were delicious and I don’t typically like brussel sprouts. But the meat was just okay and I did not like the sauce it came with. I definitely would have preferred a horseradish sauce. Part of the problem is that my DH and my dad both cook some exceptionally good prime rib, so getting something at a restaurant that’s a few steps down is a disappointment. The service was good to good plus. Very friendly and attentive staff. Our water glasses were never less than half full. I didn’t feel rushed but I also didn’t feel encouraged to linger (understandable, I think). We did not have dessert as the starter and main were so filling, we definitely did not have room.

Oh, and the wine list was nice, too! Can’t remember what my DH had but I had a Frank Family Chardonnay with my scallops and a few sips of his red with my prime rib.
I miss the wonderful bread basket they used to serve. I was surprised there was no bread.

I miss the wonderful bread basket they used to serve. I was surprised there was no bread.

This reminded me, is the bread basket still absent at Napa Rose? We haven't been for about a year, although we have always had fantastic meals there. Just haven't been able to score a reservation for a long time.

This reminded me, is the bread basket still absent at Napa Rose? We haven't been for about a year, although we have always had fantastic meals there. Just haven't been able to score a reservation for a long time.
There was a focaccia basket available for purchase. I believe it was $16 or $18. We passed. As much as I love focaccia, paying to fill up on bread didn’t seem the best plan before what we knew would likely be a very filling meal (and it was).

In the main dining room, you order everything separately, including bread, as 3Tinks mentioned. I don't know about the lounge. I'll try the lounge next time but I'm not going back to Napa Rose dining room unless I hear that it has changed considerably.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Steakhouse 55 will reopen this year.

Agree that the wrap is excellent but that location is in sore need of a great coffee!
Right? I usually drink mine with some milk and sweetener, so it hid the taste somewhat. DH drinks his coffee black but couldn’t handle the taste and ended up doctoring his up just to make it palatable enough to get his morning caffeine fix.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter