Terminology Debate

When waiting, we are part of the line. To stand on line you would have to stand on someone in the line.

Now if they painted a big line on the ground it would be different.

Person from central CT here, and for the most part I say standing "in line". I know many NYers and those in CT near NY do say on line, especially in use of waiting for tickets. However, given that I would be agreeing with a Red Sox fan if I say "in line", I am now considering a change over!! :lmao: I always thought "on line" didn't sound right, but I am hearing that more and more lately.

Person from central CT here, and for the most part I say standing "in line". I know many NYers and those in CT near NY do say on line, especially in use of waiting for tickets. However, given that I would be agreeing with a Red Sox fan if I say "in line", I am now considering a change over!! :lmao: I always thought "on line" didn't sound right, but I am hearing that more and more lately.

I believe it is all of the Mets fans that say "on line". Who would ever want to agree with them?

What part of Central CT for you?

Born and raised in on the North Shore in eastern Massacusetts, and its always been IN line. Can't say I had ever heard of "on line" until I got my first modem. :)

And I had never heard of a "queue", or "queuing up", until one year I was at the Chester Zoo in England...

I thought your guys waited in queue over there. Has BBC America been lying to me all these years?:confused3

I think in the internet age the term online has become more applied to being on the Internet while inline is used for standing in a line. If you look down and are not standing on a painted line I guess you aren’t online though, are you?

You are right, nearly. We wait in a queue.

I've heard it both ways. I've also heard 'on accident' as opposed to 'by accident' from very well spoken folks.

Like Mickey Man I too am from central Connecticut, a die hard Red Sox fan(so perhaps a Yankee fan has to change-lol) and wait in line also. I work with folks from the New York City area and they always say on line.

Yup...j/k :)

Where are you from in the finger lakes region? My wife and I grew up in Auburn. (and we both say "in" line :laughing: )

I live just south of Ithaca - near Watkins Glen. And we talk kinda funny down here. :rotfl: But I'm originally from just north of NYC and we "upstaters" really TAWK funny.

Here in Western PA we say "in" line but I try to throw in "queue" whenever possible. LOVE those Brits!!! And shouldn't it be "accidentally" instead of by accident or on accident? The world is preposition happy...:rolleyes:

Originally from Western NY.... lived in Erie, PA and Boston, MA and now Syracuse NY and it has always been IN LINE......

Wendy

Go Red Sox!!!

I'm originally from eastern Long Island, NY and I say I'm waiting in line or I'm getting on the line and the line forms a que.

What about a person "gone missing"? :scared1:

I say either "is missing" or "they're gone"!!!

Midwest girl here.....I say IN line. But I have heard ON line many times, I can't really remember where though. I always wondered if I was saying it wrong, but according to the results here I would say I'm in the majority.

To me it's always been 'in'line. If I heard 'on'line I would either look for the computer or the line on the ground to stand on. :confused3

I am in the "IN" line group. I am from NY and never heard of waiting ON line... I also use queue, but what do I know..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter