Term-time holidays following the High Court decision

Hi

Yes attendance is a big issue in Schools as is lateness it's an OFSTED measure all schools are judged on both, many schools spend lots of Pupil Premium money getting children to school. I agree that it's a no brainer go in term time and save a shed loads of money and pay the fine. Even going to Spain this spring bank cost £900 flights only for four and I booked when the flights came out with Ryanair months ago. One week in June flights only Ryanair booked today would cost £312 for the four of us, you can do the maths.

However it would be irresponsible of me to do that, so we pay the flight costs.

A child's attainment is judged throughout school they are assess at every stage so regardless of ability they are either achieving or not, it's not about how 'bright' a child is, if they are on target they are achieving as far as the school is concerned.

So in my view if your child is working hard, attending school and not late for school, the odd day or week should not matter, it's a judgment call made between the school and the parent. As I said the rule has never changed if you take your child out of school and the school thinks you are not fulfilling your obligation to ensure that your child receives efficient full-time education suitable to the child’s age, ability, aptitude and to any special educational needs the child may have, you could be prosecuted or issued a fixed penalty notice, holidays in term time or not.

Regards

Paul

Last edited:
I'm rather surprised how reasonable everyone is being, and how I agree with almost everything that's been said!

I'm sure I read on a forum somewhere that it was outrageous for parents to take kids out of school for even one day because 'no one NEEDS a holiday'. And that I would totally disagree with. Making precious family moments that live in memories I would say is very important. But agree with what's been said, its all about balance, and yes of course you can make precious family memories in August in a caravan in the UK, but travel abroad is definitely an expanding experience for any child, and who wouldn't want that for their children if in a position to do it.

I do feel sorry for teachers, as it can create extra work and difficulties for them - depending on how conscientious they are in trying to get that child caught up, Having said that, I've taken my dd out, and not really noticed that the teacher did anything additional to help her (wouldn't even mark homework that was completed a few days later than the rest of the class). Not that I'm expecting it, just saying don't complain about something that didn't happen.

So I think I'm agreeing with the general tone that parents are best placed to make the decision, and schools should just live with it unless there are other factors (like persistent lateness, or other ongoing absences), in which case the whole pattern of behaviour needs to be addressed.

Sencybil.

not quite on point but something happened yesterday !!

To any people not aware our plans for our aug holiday are uncertain as in feb i had a accident and badly broke my leg requiring 2 surgeries ( its still in a circular external fixator) and currently part wheelchair very immobile. i had arranged with school that my mum can drop the children in school 10 mins early on her way to work but yesterday was told this can no longer happened and suggested i just take them late by taxi my self, when i explained i have therapy and would be about 11am i can get them there she said this was ok.

My kids are 7, 8 , and almost 10 so need little supervision and had been helping teachers set up class during the 10mins they were there early , i was shocked that they felt missing up to 2 hours school a day was preferable to been dropped off 10 mins early, our family are going out of there way to do school runs for me and they did not miss any school during my month stay in hospital.

would love to see them even dare send me a fine now if we end up going on holiday this august!!

I would love to be able to take holidays during term times but unfortunately, while the ruling is supportive of taking children out of school, it makes no mention of taking my teaching assistant husband out of school...

I would love to be able to take holidays during term times but unfortunately, while the ruling is supportive of taking children out of school, it makes no mention of taking my teaching assistant husband out of school...

Yep, I'm in the same situation being one of the teachers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter