Teppan Edo- bring in own food?

MarBee

DIS Veteran
I know that Teppan Edo is currently closed, but I’m planning an April trip and hoping things are much better by then 🤞

I was wondering if they would let my extremely picky eater son bring in his own food while his sister, dad, and I all ate there. No allergies or anything. There is just nothing on the menu that he would like, and I make it my general policy not to fight with him about food while on vacation. If we can bring in a hot dog or pretzel or whatever, is it rude for him to sit at the hibachi table even though he’s not eating hibachi?

I would think because part of the dining experience there is a "show" that they put on at the table, it would be hard for you to bring him, not pay, and then have him sit and eat his own food. If you did decide to make a reservation there, that's something I would call the restaurant directly or call Disney when making the reservation and ask.

If he is over 2, he will probably have to order something. Teppan Edo is just like any other hibachi. We ate there for Eat to the Beat concert combo and it was good but not great. Coral Reef was better.

I would think because part of the dining experience there is a "show" that they put on at the table, it would be hard for you to bring him, not pay, and then have him sit and eat his own food. If you did decide to make a reservation there, that's something I would call the restaurant directly or call Disney when making the reservation and ask.
I wouldn’t mind paying for his spot. Just don’t want him to barf all over the place if he eats there. And he will puke unfortunately.

Will he eat plain rice? I don’t know about bringing your own food but I’d attempt to order him a little something, even if he won’t eat it.

Will he eat plain rice? I don’t know about bringing your own food but I’d attempt to order him a little something, even if he won’t eat it.
Nope. He’s the worst. I mean he’s amazing in all other aspects in life, but he’s the worst with this stuff. His sister eats pretty much anything. This kid eats like 10 things without throwing up or gagging.

I would expect to pay for him. I think you could eat his food portion there and share it among you. Maybe, you can get the chef not to put the food by him but one of you instead.

We have gotten 3 adult entrees for 2 adults and 2 kids before at Teppan Edo with no issue. However, I think bringing other food in would be frowned upon except baby food for a very young child. Maybe feed him something beforehand and purchase a drink for him at Teppan Edo.

Nope. He’s the worst. I mean he’s amazing in all other aspects in life, but he’s the worst with this stuff. His sister eats pretty much anything. This kid eats like 10 things without throwing up or gagging.

This is my kids, too! Fun times. My son has not improved with age unfortunately. less barfing but still extremely picky at 20 yrs old.

What I always did at WDW was to feed him first at quick service and then order something small so that he had a plate and a drink in front of him. Then one of us would eat whatever was on his plate while he just drank his drink. Every once in a while a server would take notice, but I felt it was less rude than bringing food in from another place.

I'll echo what a previous poster said - there likely won't be any issue with you ordering 3 entrees with 4 people sitting at the table, however at his age they will likely not be ok with eating food (other than small snacks) that the restaurant hasn't provided. There can be liability issues with that especially if it's prepared food that was purchased elsewhere and brought in. Best bet is to feed him something he likes before you go, so that he's not hungry and can just enjoy the show at the hibachi.

I think, that it's normal to bring the food with you at the restaurant. There are different life situations, so there is nothing bad or strange in it.
Have to disagree. I don't think it's normal in any way to bring ones own food into a place where the entire purpose is to sell prepared food.
Which ten things? It's possible Teppan Edo shares the kitchen with one or more other restaurants. If yes, they might be able to prepare or obtain other food.

Which ten things? It's possible Teppan Edo shares the kitchen with one or more other restaurants. If yes, they might be able to prepare or obtain other food.

I thought 50's primetime and Hollywood & vine were the only restaurants that shared a kitchen, other than those with a TS and a lounge that share a kitchen for the QS and TS services.

I know that Teppan Edo is currently closed, but I’m planning an April trip and hoping things are much better by then 🤞

I was wondering if they would let my extremely picky eater son bring in his own food while his sister, dad, and I all ate there. No allergies or anything. There is just nothing on the menu that he would like, and I make it my general policy not to fight with him about food while on vacation. If we can bring in a hot dog or pretzel or whatever, is it rude for him to sit at the hibachi table even though he’s not eating hibachi?
I would call. I do not think it will be allowed especially since it is hibachi. You could probably arrange for them to get you something else in advance. Otherwise I would eat elsewhere. The food there is great and when my son was a very picky 5 year old he was so enamored with the show that he ate all his food.

That's why I said "it's possible". Kona and 'Ohana share a kitchen. Now I know 50's PT and Sci-Fi do. With wayyyy over 100 restaurants at Disney World, there might well be more that share kitchens.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but personally I would never bring in food to a restaurant for one of my kids. A baby, sure, but not an 8 year old. I’d either be looking for other restaurants that everyone enjoys or they’d sit there and nibble on a basic kids meal (mine usually get plain steak or chicken at Teppan Edo) while we enjoy our meal.

To be perfectly honest, if someone we were sharing a table with at Teppan Edo pulled out a hot dog and fed it to their child, I would think it’s a little rude (to use the word from your original question).

Another vote for you would have to ask the restaurant. I'd suspect they might say no because states have regulations regarding outside food being brought into a restaurant and eaten inside the restaurant. In other words all food served at the restaurant must be from an approved source.

If this was my child, I would feed him his food in advance of going to the restaurant, and once seated at Teppan Edo buy him a drink and see if you can find something on the menu (even a desert) that he might enjoy. If he will at least drink something, I think you'll be fine. I'm sure restaurants in WDW deal with Children not wanting to eat certain foods -- probably nothing new to them.

That's why I said "it's possible". Kona and 'Ohana share a kitchen. Now I know 50's PT and Sci-Fi do. With wayyyy over 100 restaurants at Disney World, there might well be more that share kitchens.

it is probably 50’s primetime and Hollywood and vine that share since they are next to each other and I believe even share a bathroom (according to my daughter who used the facilities at 50’s).
I also think OP probably should book a restaurant where everyone has something they like to eat if possible. (With the limited menus this might be easier said than done). It would be very odd at a hibachi style place to pull out different food for a person sitting at the hibachi table

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter