Tentative Day Itinerary at Disneyland

We just got back on a one day tour of Disneyland on the way after 10 days at aulani. We were there last Friday. Frankly Based on the crowds we saw I can’t see how it would work. We actually did both parks in a day and got lots of rides in but that was only because we started in California adventure at 7 am because we stayed there. Then at about 10 am we moved to Disneyland and the only reason we got lots of rides in is because my daughter used a wheelchair and we got return times to many rides that overrode the fast pass process or got in the right away through the exit. By about 11 the wait times were almost an hour for almost everything. Good luck.

Correct!

FP rides to do in the morning:
Space Mountain
Star Tours
Indiana Jones

Why? As the day progresses, these FP return windows get later and later, which means that you have to wait longer in order to get your next FP.

FP that are usually easier to get:
BTMRR
Splash Mtn (unless it's a super hot day, then Splash Mtn FP are at a premium in terms of desirability)
Buzz Lightyear
Haunted Mansion

FP that can go either way depending on crowds:
Matterhorn
Thank you! :D

We just got back on a one day tour of Disneyland on the way after 10 days at aulani. We were there last Friday. Frankly Based on the crowds we saw I can’t see how it would work. We actually did both parks in a day and got lots of rides in but that was only because we started in California adventure at 7 am because we stayed there. Then at about 10 am we moved to Disneyland and the only reason we got lots of rides in is because my daughter used a wheelchair and we got return times to many rides that overrode the fast pass process or got in the right away through the exit. By about 11 the wait times were almost an hour for almost everything. Good luck.
Thinking that maybe it's because it's the last few days before blockout for AP holders. Of course we really don't know what things will look like the few weeks right after SWGE, so I'll be checking to see! Thanks!

I probably sound paranoid but - the plan VandVsmama provided covers all the thing I put on my original plan, right? Just making sure ;)

Ok so I revised VandVsmama's plan a bit to better fit us and to make it a little shorter, here:

7:10 am - arrive, park, wait for rope drop. After tickets scanned and entered the park and "at the rope," get a FP for Space Mtn. Set an alarm on phone for time to get next FP.

8:00 am - rope drop, go to Fantasyland. Mad Tea Party, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Storybook Canal Boats.

~ 9:00- go to Toon Town. Go straight to Mickey's house for a M&G. Ride Gadget’s Go Coaster if wait is less than 15 minutes.

Head to Tomorrowland, use Space Mtn FP. Grab FP for Star Tours.

Back to Fantasyland, Matterhorn in single rider line, quick break for dad/sister

When Star Tours FP return window opens, go on. Get a splash Mtn FP if the return time is before 11:30 am, otherwise wait for a FP with a return time after 2 pm. While on Splash Mtn, dad/sister explore (Tarzan’s Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island, etc.)

Buzz Lightyear (if time allows).

Head to New Orleans Square, Pirates of the Caribbean.

Snack, bathroom break.

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

11:30 am - enter SWGE

2:00 pm - exit SWGE.

Get silhouettes done on Main Street.

MID-AFTERNOON TIME KILLER OPTIONS: Storytelling at Royal Theater, Mickey & the Magical Map, Great Moments with Mr Lincoln, get an ice cream, Tiki Room, explore Toon Town some more, Tom Sawyer’s Island, river boat or Columbia, shopping, photos, Snow White’s wishing well, etc.

Get Quick Service lunch, be at parade watching spot by 2:45 pm and eat while waiting. (watching spot either in front of small world or right in front of or just to the left of the Alice in Wonderland themed bathrooms in Fantasyland, the bathrooms with the playing cards on the stall doors) Bring a light towel to mark territory for parade (3:30pm start).

MID-AFTERNOON TIME KILLERS, LISTED ABOVE

6:30 pm - pick up Hungry Bear F! dining package. Eat dinner.

Get a FP for BTMRR earlier to ride now (between 7pm and 8:45pm). Break for dad/sister.

For Fantasmic! - Get in line at 8:45 pm for 9:30pm show. Stay in F! spot for fireworks.

After fireworks, head to Fantasyland the back way through the back side of BTMRR.

Go on IASW. Probably won't need a FP at that point, but keep an eye on FP for small world throughout the day anyways and look at small world wait times around this time on the Disneyland App leading up to the trip.

If wait times are pretty short, maybe revisit some Fantasyland attractions or hop on Finding Nemo if the wait time is relatively short.

Hop on Peter Pan’s Flight (wait time irrelevant as it’ll most likely be the last ride of the day)

Shopping if wanted

Exit Disneyland (park closes 12am, try to get out around 11pm-11:30pm)

okay so which plan would you pick, this one or the original? :) I believe that either way the attractions are the same.

Reactions: EmJ
Maybe its just me, but having an itinerary setup like this just sets you up for failure IMO. It puts extra stress on having to worry about staying on your itinerary when you are on a fun vacation that sometimes is more fun to just play it by ear.

What happens if one of the rides goes down?

What if someone has to go to the bathroom and its a longer then normal wait?

What if there is a handicap person getting on or off a ride so that adds 10 minutes to that ride.

What if you dont get through your whole list in the first half of the day? Do you just eliminate an item, do you bump it to later in the day eliminating something else?

It just sounds like a bunch of clock watching and headache.

No way you can do those things on a EMH day for Fantasyland between 8am-9am.

Only way that changes is if majority of EMH entrance have early SWGE reservations.

Otherwise expect 30-45 minutes each for Dumbo, Alice, and Storybookland.

Mad Tea Party should have a low line though.

ME

Maybe its just me, but having an itinerary setup like this just sets you up for failure IMO. It puts extra stress on having to worry about staying on your itinerary when you are on a fun vacation that sometimes is more fun to just play it by ear.

What happens if one of the rides goes down?

What if someone has to go to the bathroom and its a longer then normal wait?

What if there is a handicap person getting on or off a ride so that adds 10 minutes to that ride.

What if you dont get through your whole list in the first half of the day? Do you just eliminate an item, do you bump it to later in the day eliminating something else?

It just sounds like a bunch of clock watching and headache.
Tbh, I think I *get* OP. It's like talking to myself from 20 years ago. I'm a hyper-Type A to the core--imagine if Monica Geller and Hermione Granger managed to have a baby. That baby is me. Still to this day I plan everything, meticulously, down to the restaurant menu, because the idea of NOT having a plan is so stressful to me that I would be anxious the entire time, especially leading up to the trip instead of being excited about it. The trick is knowing that your plan might not go as planned... maybe within the first 5 minutes the entire thing gets pitched in the bin and you adjust and do something different. As long as OP knows her plan is really a wish list and has the ability to be (very) flexible if any of those things happen, she'll be okay ;). It just means you skip an attraction, substitute for something with a shorter line, eat at a different restaurant than you thought, meet a character when you expected to see a show, or whatever. The idea of playing almost anything by ear makes me want to break out in hives... Excel is my favorite computer program, lol.

Last edited:
... She's potty trained but we'll still bring diapers in case, so that's good. :)
Make sure that you and your dad know the location of the Baby Care Center (across from the Little Red Wagon and Plaza Inn off of Main Street) and First Aid (end of the same alley, on the right). Just in case of any emergencies/sort of emergencies, knowing where to go right away can save time and stress. You can get diapers at the Baby Care Center if you find that you didn't bring enough. It's funny how being excited at DL and being outside all day and eating fun snacks all day can result in a need for many more diapers/surprise accidents. The Baby Care Center can be a life saver!

Last edited:
Tbh, I think I *get* OP. It's like talking to myself from 20 years ago. I'm a hyper-Type A to the core--imagine if Monica Geller and Hermione Granger managed to have a baby. That baby is me. Still to this day I plan everything, meticulously, down to the restaurant menu, because the idea of NOT having a plan is so stressful to me that I would be anxious the entire time, especially leading up to the trip instead of being excited about it. The trick is knowing that your plan might not go as planned... maybe within the first 5 minutes the entire thing gets pitched in the bin and you adjust and do something different. As long as OP knows her plan is really a wish list and has the ability to be (very) flexible if any of those things happen, she'll be okay ;). It just means you skip an attraction, substitute for something with a shorter line, eat at a different restaurant than you expected, meet a character when you expected to see a show, or whatever. The idea of playing almost anything by ear makes me want to break out in hives... Excel is my favorite computer program, lol.
I totally get where the OP is coming from. I think it's even worse if you've done WDW, because there this sort of planning can absolutely be the magic bullet. Our most recent full trip (we did a holiday party as an addon to a Universal trip this last winter) we spent seven full days in the park, did pretty much everything (all rides, all shows etc.) and never waited longer than a half an hour, only waited longer than fifteen minutes three or four times. And it was because we had plans like this for all seven days. Our daily touring plans would have thirty/forty items on them and, yeah, we diverged from time to time (actually only a handful of times in the week) but you could sort of make an educated decision. If we do A, then B, C or D. The whole week my husband would say things like "OMG it says those people are waiting an hour and a half for that ride, are we doing that?" "Yeah, but we're doing it Wednesday morning--it should be practically walk on" or "We have a FP for it Thursday night."

Tbh planning a trip to DLR is sort of freaking me out because it seems pretty apparent that that sort of planning really won't work the way it does at WDW, largely because of the differences in the FP system. Whatever, you adapt, you roll with it. And frankly I'm just falling back on the fact that we have five days and we should be able to do pretty much everything regardless. If I only had a day I'd be a basket case...

I totally get where the OP is coming from. I think it's even worse if you've done WDW, because there this sort of planning can absolutely be the magic bullet. Our most recent full trip (we did a holiday party as an addon to a Universal trip this last winter) we spent seven full days in the park, did pretty much everything (all rides, all shows etc.) and never waited longer than a half an hour, only waited longer than fifteen minutes three or four times. And it was because we had plans like this for all seven days. Our daily touring plans would have thirty/forty items on them and, yeah, we diverged from time to time (actually only a handful of times in the week) but you could sort of make an educated decision. If we do A, then B, C or D. The whole week my husband would say things like "OMG it says those people are waiting an hour and a half for that ride, are we doing that?" "Yeah, but we're doing it Wednesday morning--it should be practically walk on" or "We have a FP for it Thursday night."

Tbh planning a trip to DLR is sort of freaking me out because it seems pretty apparent that that sort of planning really won't work the way it does at WDW, largely because of the differences in the FP system. Whatever, you adapt, you roll with it. And frankly I'm just falling back on the fact that we have five days and we should be able to do pretty much everything regardless. If I only had a day I'd be a basket case...
Yes! And then I’ll actually keep notes IN the park so that when I get back I can reconstruct our trip and compare it to the plan to see how it was different. I currently have our touring plan typed up in Excel, with each day broken into 30 minute “units”. DH thinks it’s funny... but he’s sure not complaining when we walk onto a ride in 5 minutes and walk off to a crowd about to wait 50. Did your husband think you were magic when he didn’t have to wait in any lines?

Yes! And then I’ll actually keep notes IN the park so that when I get back I can reconstruct our trip and compare it to the plan to see how it was different. I currently have our touring plan typed up in Excel, with each day broken into 30 minute “units”. DH thinks it’s funny... but he’s sure not complaining when we walk onto a ride in 5 minutes and walk off to a crowd about to wait 50. Did your husband think you were magic when he didn’t have to wait in any lines?
Absolutely! At first I was a little sheepish about the whole thing and I tried to build in extra time, but there still does occasionally come the moment where lunch was only scheduled for an hour and well... By the end he was more gung ho about the plan than I was. He was constantly looking around and saying "OMG these people aren't getting to do anything!"

My favorite was actually a mobile ordering moment. We were going to Columbia Harbor House and the line stretched all the way back to Fantasyland. Seriously the line was so long that I didnt initially realize that's what it was for. Once we got about midway past the line it became apparent that it was for the restaurant. My husband looked at me and said "I guess we have to get in that line." I responded just keep walking. When we marched past the line and up to the counter where they just handed us our food he looked at me with pure amazement and said "OMG we have a fast pass for lunch?!" loud enough to get several glares from people waiting in line.

Absolutely! At first I was a little sheepish about the whole thing and I tried to build in extra time, but there still does occasionally come the moment where lunch was only scheduled for an hour and well... By the end he was more gung ho about the plan than I was. He was constantly looking around and saying "OMG these people aren't getting to do anything!"

My favorite was actually a mobile ordering moment. We were going to Columbia Harbor House and the line stretched all the way back to Fantasyland. Seriously the line was so long that I didnt initially realize that's what it was for. Once we got about midway past the line it became apparent that it was for the restaurant. My husband looked at me and said "I guess we have to get in that line." I responded just keep walking. When we marched past the line and up to the counter where they just handed us our food he looked at me with pure amazement and said "OMG we have a fast pass for lunch?!" loud enough to get several glares from people waiting in line.
:rotfl::rotfl:

Tbh, I think I *get* OP. It's like talking to myself from 20 years ago. I'm a hyper-Type A to the core--imagine if Monica Geller and Hermione Granger managed to have a baby. That baby is me. Still to this day I plan everything, meticulously, down to the restaurant menu, because the idea of NOT having a plan is so stressful to me that I would be anxious the entire time, especially leading up to the trip instead of being excited about it. The trick is knowing that your plan might not go as planned... maybe within the first 5 minutes the entire thing gets pitched in the bin and you adjust and do something different. As long as OP knows her plan is really a wish list and has the ability to be (very) flexible if any of those things happen, she'll be okay ;). It just means you skip an attraction, substitute for something with a shorter line, eat at a different restaurant than you thought, meet a character when you expected to see a show, or whatever. The idea of playing almost anything by ear makes me want to break out in hives... Excel is my favorite computer program, lol.
Yep, you probably do get me. You've described me pretty well :P

No way you can do those things on a EMH day for Fantasyland between 8am-9am.

Only way that changes is if majority of EMH entrance have early SWGE reservations.

Otherwise expect 30-45 minutes each for Dumbo, Alice, and Storybookland.

Mad Tea Party should have a low line though.

ME
I suppose that what we don't get done in the morning we'll do at night after IASW if that would work.

Maybe its just me, but having an itinerary setup like this just sets you up for failure IMO.

I've made plans that would probably drive you insane. They have formatting, colors, highlights, and after a year of tweaking, a plan ends up like a work of art. Navigating Disney is like that. Or it can be if you're into that. Part of the challenge is building something that works for everyone... Especially when you travel with a big group and have all sorts of personal styles to mesh into one glorious trip. It's a lot of fun. :) It turns a week of Disney for $10k or whatever into a year of Disney for no extra $k's.

At Disneyland you don't have to do this, but you still can. I think the OP learned via this 5-page exercise! The original plan was meticulous, down to the minute. The current rev I think is much better, giving up the by-minute approach in favor of general areas. If I would suggest anything, it's get out of that list format and start with Excel. You'll get a better visual of your day when you bucket into hour or half-hour increments, and it helps envision how busy or relaxed a day is by the colors.

I think these... Alice, Dumbo, Storybook, Tea Party, Mickey, Gadget, Matterhorn, Space, Star Tours, Buzz, Splash, Pirates, all by 11:30... are practically everything at Disneyland in 3.5 hours. :cool: Maybe I'm out of the loop on this. I think you'll be in FL from 8-10. For 10-11:30, pick one other land. TL probably and try to get your Space and Star Tours FPs in that hour. Then you're off to Star Wars and after that, AL / FrL.

Last edited:
I've made plans that would probably drive you insane. They have formatting, colors, highlights, and after a year of tweaking, a plan ends up like a work of art. Navigating Disney is like that. Or it can be if you're into that. Part of the challenge is building something that works for everyone... Especially when you travel with a big group and have all sorts of personal styles to mesh into one glorious trip. It's a lot of fun. :) It turns a week of Disney for $10k or whatever into a year of Disney for no extra $k's.

At Disneyland you don't have to do this, but you still can. I think the OP learned via this 5-page exercise! The original plan was meticulous, down to the minute. The current rev I think is much better, giving up the by-minute approach in favor of general areas. If I would suggest anything, it's get out of that list format and start with Excel. You'll get a better visual of your day when you bucket into hour or half-hour increments, and it helps envision how busy or relaxed a day is by the colors.

I think these... Alice, Dumbo, Storybook, Tea Party, Mickey, Gadget, Matterhorn, Space, Star Tours, Buzz, Splash, Pirates, all by 11:30... are practically everything at Disneyland in 3.5 hours. :cool: Maybe I'm out of the loop on this. I think you'll be in FL from 8-10. For 10-11:30, pick one other land. TL probably and try to get your Space and Star Tours FPs in that hour. Then you're off to Star Wars and after that, AL / FrL.
Thank you! I definitely agree with the planning part and I'll get started in Excel, any tips?

I'd probably say FL from 8-10am, get FPs for Space and Star Tours while in there, then move to Tomorrowland before SWGE reservations. Depending on time we'll see how it works out. Thanks again for the advice. :)

Ok so I revised VandVsmama's plan a bit to better fit us and to make it a little shorter, here:

7:10 am - arrive, park, wait for rope drop. After tickets scanned and entered the park and "at the rope," get a FP for Space Mtn. Set an alarm on phone for time to get next FP.

8:00 am - rope drop, go to Fantasyland. Mad Tea Party, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Storybook Canal Boats.

~ 9:00- go to Toon Town. Go straight to Mickey's house for a M&G. Ride Gadget’s Go Coaster if wait is less than 15 minutes.

Head to Tomorrowland, use Space Mtn FP. Grab FP for Star Tours.

Back to Fantasyland, Matterhorn in single rider line, quick break for dad/sister

When Star Tours FP return window opens, go on. Get a splash Mtn FP if the return time is before 11:30 am, otherwise wait for a FP with a return time after 2 pm. While on Splash Mtn, dad/sister explore (Tarzan’s Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island, etc.)

Buzz Lightyear (if time allows).

Head to New Orleans Square, Pirates of the Caribbean.

Snack, bathroom break.

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

11:30 am - enter SWGE

2:00 pm - exit SWGE.

Get silhouettes done on Main Street.

MID-AFTERNOON TIME KILLER OPTIONS: Storytelling at Royal Theater, Mickey & the Magical Map, Great Moments with Mr Lincoln, get an ice cream, Tiki Room, explore Toon Town some more, Tom Sawyer’s Island, river boat or Columbia, shopping, photos, Snow White’s wishing well, etc.

Get Quick Service lunch, be at parade watching spot by 2:45 pm and eat while waiting. (watching spot either in front of small world or right in front of or just to the left of the Alice in Wonderland themed bathrooms in Fantasyland, the bathrooms with the playing cards on the stall doors) Bring a light towel to mark territory for parade (3:30pm start).

MID-AFTERNOON TIME KILLERS, LISTED ABOVE

6:30 pm - pick up Hungry Bear F! dining package. Eat dinner.

Get a FP for BTMRR earlier to ride now (between 7pm and 8:45pm). Break for dad/sister.

For Fantasmic! - Get in line at 8:45 pm for 9:30pm show. Stay in F! spot for fireworks.

After fireworks, head to Fantasyland the back way through the back side of BTMRR.

Go on IASW. Probably won't need a FP at that point, but keep an eye on FP for small world throughout the day anyways and look at small world wait times around this time on the Disneyland App leading up to the trip.

If wait times are pretty short, maybe revisit some Fantasyland attractions or hop on Finding Nemo if the wait time is relatively short.

Hop on Peter Pan’s Flight (wait time irrelevant as it’ll most likely be the last ride of the day)

Shopping if wanted

Exit Disneyland (park closes 12am, try to get out around 11pm-11:30pm)

okay so which plan would you pick, this one or the original? :) I believe that either way the attractions are the same.

It’s been a few years for us @ DL. This time a girls’ trip with GD. Pressure is on to do it all lol not usually quite so commando but feeling the need for a game plan.

I’m digesting :) your plan as a starting point of sorts. Noobish Q, you are not factoring in using the Max Pass?

It’s been a few years for us @ DL. This time a girls’ trip with GD. Pressure is on to do it all lol not usually quite so commando but feeling the need for a game plan.

I’m digesting :) your plan as a starting point of sorts. Noobish Q, you are not factoring in using the Max Pass?
We'll be using MaxPass. :) And if you need help you could make a thread, there are so many awesome Disney experts here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter