Tent time?

Carrie Ellis

DIS Veteran
I am new! We (2 sets of twins 3yo and 8 yo & DH) will be tenting in late Sept. I am planning on over a week. What is the longest anyone that you or someone you know has tented at FW? I am very optimistic! I think it will be fun since we will be so busy and hopefully not too crowded!

But I do not want it to be miserable for my childrens first trip to Disney!

Thanks for all the wonderful post that I have read already!

Carrie

Carrie,
Welcome.
Has your family been camping before? We tented for 12 days in August when our twins were 8 yo. We were lucky as it didn't rain until the last day. We enjoyed every minute of our trip, but did take a few precautions for rain. We had a big tarp over our tent and it covered the walkway to the screenhouse for a double layer of protection and we were close to the comfort station. There is so much for the kids to do at FW, I can't imagine how they could be miserable. Be sure to go to the campfire and see the movies. That year our boys wanted to stay at the campground and see the movie every night. we had requested a site close to the campfire area. With a litlle planning you will have a great time. KQ

Dh and I honeymoon tented in FW in Aug 1992. We were there for 7 nights. It was sooo hot. We couldn't wait to go home. That being said we are diehard Disney fans and have stayed in FW 3 times since. If you are tenting be sure to bring fans at the very least. We had no fan or AC. There was no way to escape the heat. Late september won't be as bad as Aug. I have read posts where people have brought their window AC unit from home and zipped it in the tent door. Great Idea. Also bring a tarp to put under your tent and another to put over it as it will help with the rain and help block sun. Keep reading the boards for more tips. FYI we always go for 2 wks min now. We also have a Travel Trailer.

Thanks so much for the postitive advice! I requested the 1500 loop when I made the reservation. I read the recommended spots on this forum. My second set of twins will be almost 4 so I think they will be ok with that length of time. We have camped before but for only a day or two. We will be doing a 2 day camp this summer so that will be a way to confirm. I am assuming that FW is easier and nicer than the normal camping because of the activities, the Disney spirit and comfort station close. I am really trying to plan this so it will go smooth. Hopefully it does not backfire!

I find that the longer I camp, the more comfortable I am!!

If I'm camping for just one or two nights, then I don't bring as much "stuff" cause I don't want to haul it or fool with it for just a couple of nights.

But if I am camping long term, then I bring more luxuries because I'm going to set it up and not have to fool with it for awhile.

For example, for one or two nights I just shove a couple changes of clothes in a duffle bag. For longer camping, I pack my things in rubbermaid drawers, and set things up so I'm not living out of a duffle bag or suitcase.

Also, camping at Ft. Wilderness is super luxury camping!!!!

The comfort stations are super clean, the laundromat is right there!

It's almost as if I'm home!!

When I camp long term, I can also get into a routine, especially at Ft. Wilderness.

For example, I do a load of laundry each night. Since the comfort station is right there, I grab my shower bag and my laundry bag. I drop the clothes in the washer and head for the shower, when I get out of the shower, I transfer the clothes to the dryer and go back to the campsite and spend half an hour to an hour online on the computer. Then I go pick up my clean clothes from the dryer and head to bed!

No time out of my day wasted at all!!

I would love to be one of those snowbirds at Ft. Wilderness in the winter!! Except I would be in a tent!!

Carol

Thanks so much ClKelley, my3princes and kingdomqueen! I am feeling so much better! Hopefully no hurricane that week! well actually a week and a half! he he! I am planning on having a veg day or two to let the kids chill out. I can not believe how addicted I have become on researching and planning! Great advice!

We tented for 15 nights in December/January with our 12 and 14 year old daughters. We loved it. Didn't feel the need to hurry up and do everything. We usually stay the week of Thanksgiving.

Not exactly kids here, but himself and I (him 67, me 74) are tenting for the first time in many years this coming January, for 10 days. We wanted to come down (from northwest Michigan) for a winter break, but didn’t want to take our mini camper. Did that one winter in 2017 and it wasn’t a repeatable experience lol.

I don’t think we’d make it in a tent where we couldn’t stand up, so we a Gazelle two room, so there’ll be plenty of room. It’ll be interesting to see if our backs and the air mattress hold up.

Off to another exciting adventure in 6 weeks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter