• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tent camping

singlefan

Earning My Ears
Two of my dear friends and I are planning a WDW trip next spring and thought it would be fun to tent camp at FW. We have camped all over the country, and are no strangers to tenting. We have visited FW a couple of times to go to Trail's End and also to Hoop-Dee-Doo, and we've seen a lot of big-rig type campers, but never really noticed any tent sites. Is there a seperate tenting area, and if so, is it decorated as much as the RV - type sites or is it less, well, "tacky"?

Tents can go in the Partial sites (loops 1500 and 2000) which are also suitable for pop-ups and in the Full and Preferred sites (loops 100-300 and 1600-1900). Those loops have the coquina (crushed shell) sand pads which are nice for tents. Partials don't have a sewere hookup while all other types do (plus elec, water, cable tv in all)

I suppose you could put a tent on a premium site but since they are all concrete (no coquina) it would have to be self supporting (no stakes) and you would need a great mattress.

People tent all year round in any loop so don't feel bad. Go wherever and whenever the wind blows you. :laughing:

Bama ED

And everyone decorates, there does seem to be less in the 2000 and 1500 loops. But, you can spiff it up. :wizard:

i guess tacky is in the eye of the beholder. Many of the people who camp where ever you go, be it the Fort or a state run campground, will decorate! Deciding on weather to camp there or not def. should not be based on that. The Fort is a great place to camp!!! Hope you have a great time and make your reservations quickly if you want a spot!!!

Our first FW trip, more than 30 years ago now, was in a tent. As I recall, we enjoyed that trip as much as any. It is still Disney, after all. :yay:

Our first Disney trip was last September and we camped in a tent in the 2000 loop and decorated it for Halloween along with our cart. We loved FW so much, we'll be back there next week for a few nights...again in a tent. :) Even in a tent, FW is far from 'roughing' it.

"Tacky" is a loaded word. What about "colorful", or "elaborate"? Too PC? How about "attention-getting"? ;)

When we were earth dwellers we would tent camp in the premium loops side by side with the big rv's. Most of them are people that started out in tents too and would tell us how they missed camping in a tent.

When we were earth dwellers we would tent camp in the premium loops side by side with the big rv's. Most of them are people that started out in tents too and would tell us how they missed camping in a tent.

Can;t I miss it, but it is how we, like many, started out. And we do have fond memories of traveling in those 'tent years'. It beats a trip to the mall, any day! :thumbsup2

if so, is it decorated as much as the RV - type sites or is it less, well, "tacky"?

Ill see your tackiness, and raise you two pink flamingos!!

!CCYkM-wB2k~$(KGrHqN,!lcEz+w,,nlkBNK62MrEvQ~~0_3.JPG

Thanks for all the info everyone. We've decided to go back to Arizona instead, but maybe next year.

Our first Disney trip was last September and we camped in a tent in the 2000 loop and decorated it for Halloween along with our cart. We loved FW so much, we'll be back there next week for a few nights...again in a tent. :) Even in a tent, FW is far from 'roughing' it.

What did you use to cool the tent?

It’s funny. When we tell people we tent camped at WDW we get funny looks and they just say that roughing it At Disney isn’t not their idea of a fun time. I explain that is it is far from roughing it and it was the best Disney vacation we ever had!!!

We have been RVer's for the last 20 years but we are tent camping at the fort

We go back and forth as to rv or tent camp at the Fort. Tents won for the 2nd time in a row. While there is no "roughing it" at the Fort, there remains the wonders of being outside with the scent of fresh coffee and bacon sizzling in the morning and the sharing of the day's events under the dark lantern lit night. Of course we love the convenience of the golf cart to loop around the resort and sitting out on the beach to watch the clouds go by or the fireworks light up the sky, and that happens whether it is the rv or the tent.

We go back and forth as to rv or tent camp at the Fort. Tents won for the 2nd time in a row. While there is no "roughing it" at the Fort, there remains the wonders of being outside with the scent of fresh coffee and bacon sizzling in the morning and the sharing of the day's events under the dark lantern lit night. Of course we love the convenience of the golf cart to loop around the resort and sitting out on the beach to watch the clouds go by or the fireworks light up the sky, and that happens whether it is the rv or the tent.

Your making me excited for our trip in September!!

When we tent camped at the Fort a few years ago for Halloween, quite a few tent sites did AWESOME with their decorations. It was sooo cool to see it all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter