Tent camping at fort wilderness in Dec?

devmer

Mouseketeer
Is it possible? I read that there is electricity at all the sites so I could bring a space heater to help keep us warm. We would be going in the beginning of Dec. Can you get a magic your way package with dining if you camp? I will be at WDW with my family but I'm pretty sure if I camp no one else will be willing to leave the comfort of their hotels:laughing:. I will be alone with my 2 kids at the campsite? Is it safe to do that? Do they have security patrolling the place? Am I crazy to even consider this?
Thanks,
Dawn

Can you get a magic your way package with dining if you camp?
. . . usually not
. . . but, with lowered attendance, who knows?

I will be alone with my 2 kids at the campsite? Is it safe to do that?
. . . very safe

Do they have security patrolling the place?
. . . during the day, a fair amount of security
. . . during the night, a roving guard

Am I crazy to even consider this?
. . . no

We are going in Nov and tent camping. We got the dining package with no problems at all. Which is great because then we don't have to pack food (WooHoo!).

Yes, you can get Magic your Way plus Dining when camping at Fort Wilderness. Fort Wilderness is very secure and is by far, the nicest campground I've ever been to, and we camp a lot!

You mentioned electricity so I assume that is the type of heater you would use. Just don't use a propane heater. The dangers of fire and suffocation are both real. The electric heater has its risks also. Make sure the heater is away from EVERYTHING, clothes, blankets, an air mattress if used. Make sure you have the proper rated extension cord for your heater and consider not using it at all when there is wet weather.

I'm not going to tell anyone how to camp but I would personnaly not be at ease with a heater in my tent. I would just have a good sleeping bag for myself and whoever else was with me, and maybe even electric blankets for the especially cold nights.

I have been every year the week after Thanksgiving. One year it was actually extraordinarily hot; almost 90 every day and in the 70's at night.

One year it never got over 50 degrees one day and it was very windy.

Pretty much though, since 2000, it has mostly been 80 during the day and around 60 at night.

When I was a kid my mom and I ALWAYS camped at FW. We had SP and would go once a month in winter. It's great.

Each 'loop' has a comfort station. Bathrooms/showers/laundry/ice/pay phones.

DON'T bring a space heater. Tents can be very flammable - I personally don't think they are safe. Bring electric blankets instead. Works wonderfully.

Bring a small broom and a 'welcome' mat. The campsites have a fine gravel, not dirt/grass. It can get everywhere.

I'd check out the camping board for more tips.

Have FUN!

We took our kids tent camping at the fort last year when they were 5 and almost 2. Safety and comfort wise we were fine. We were there in November and needed sleeping bags at night but we didn't need any additional heat.

If you haven't camped before, definitely do a practice camp out, even if it is in your back yard, so that you and your kids are comfortable setting up and sleeping in your tent.

Also, you didn't mention how young your kids were, but the one thing we didn't really think about was how exposed you are to your neighbors. They can hear everything you do in your tent and see and hear everything you do outside it. We felt a little bit like we were on display with our two little ones (It didn't help that we were put in an RV loop even though we just had a tent, and most of our neighbors were seniors.) Everybody at the Fort was very nice and it is fun to see the decorations, etc. they put up around their sites.

Finally, consider that it will take you longer to get places, as you have to ride the internal Fort bus or walk across the fort to get to the bus stops to get to the parks.

All that being said it is a great campground and lots of fun!!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. My kids will be 8 and 9 when we go. I have been camping many times so I know what's involved. An electric blanket is a great idea, I don't usually tent camp when it is cooler and very rarely have I had electricity so it didn't even occur to me. I found the camping board after I posted here so I posted over there also.
Dawn

With kids that age and being seasoned campers, you are golden. I bet you will love the Fort!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter