• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Temperature of Mini Fridge on the WISH

PurpleKomodo

Mouseketeer
On the Wish, is the mini fridge in the staterooms a real mini fridge or a drink cooler? We travel with some medication that needs to be refrigerated. If they are drink coolers, can the temperature be adjusted down like in many of the WDW resorts?

Is it cold enough to keep milk safe, or yogurt OK?
If it's the same as on the other ships, no. I asked maintenance about the temperature once and they told me that they keep most things in the stateroom turned off during turnover on the day of embarkation, so the beverage cooler is at its warmest when you first arrive. If you fill it with beverages, it will cool off a bit overnight that first night. It won't get American refrigerator cold but it will chill canned and bottled drinks alright. I always sail with drinks in the cooler, and from the second day onward, they're always cool enough for me, and I don't like warm drinks.

But milk or milk products? No, I would never put them in there, at any time of the cruise. I tried to put a dessert from Cabanas in for several hours once (not ice cream, just some other chilled Cabanas dessert), and it got ruined in there. In a regular refrigerator at home it would have been fine.

If it's the same as on the other ships, no. I asked maintenance about the temperature once and they told me that they keep most things in the stateroom turned off during turnover on the day of embarkation, so the beverage cooler is at its warmest when you first arrive. If you fill it with beverages, it will cool off a bit overnight that first night. It won't get American refrigerator cold but it will chill canned and bottled drinks alright. I always sail with drinks in the cooler, and from the second day onward, they're always cool enough for me, and I don't like warm drinks.

But milk or milk products? No, I would never put them in there, at any time of the cruise. I tried to put a dessert from Cabanas in for several hours once (not ice cream, just some other chilled Cabanas dessert), and it got ruined in there. In a regular refrigerator at home it would have been fine.
I think it's actually worse (warmer) on the Wish. I recall the one on the Wish not getting cold at all-just enough to chill some wine (and the 'drawer' format of that made it awkward to even get a bottle of wine in there). On the Fantasy it seemed to get at least closer to refrigerator temp.

On the Wish, is the mini fridge in the staterooms a real mini fridge or a drink cooler? We travel with some medication that needs to be refrigerated. If they are drink coolers, can the temperature be adjusted down like in many of the WDW resorts?
Best thing to do is pack some quart or gallon size zip lock bags. Ask your room host to bring you a bucket of ice each day. Fill a couple bags with ice and place it in the cooler drawer. Pour the water out of the bags and replace with ice every day. This will boost the chill quite nicely.

Was the reasoning for this nonsense at the hotels to save Disney money?

The Platinum gift on our last cruise was a generously-sized "backpack" cooler . . . and well, I often bring two 12-packs of Diet Dr Pepper (there is no substitute) and purchase a case of the mini-Perrier's as well. Our Room Steward kept that cooler filled with ice (2x day) to keep those drinks COLD. Yeah, we tipped generously.

So do lowes, home depot, best buy etc— they are a type of refrigerator for beverages.
Just checked, and Disney advertises it as a refrigerator, not a cooler.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships/wish/staterooms-inside/
They may say that but they don't get really cold. It barely chilled the wine we put in it. Not nearly has cold as a real refrigerator. I agree with other posters the drawers on the Wish were much warmer than the refrigerators on the Magic and Fantasy. If you need medication at a certain temperature you will need ice to cool the drawer down or get Disney to store it for you.

They may say that but they don't get really cold. It barely chilled the wine we put in it. Not nearly has cold as a real refrigerator. I agree with other posters the drawers on the Wish were much warmer than the refrigerators on the Magic and Fantasy. If you need medication at a certain temperature you will need ice to cool the drawer down or get Disney to store it for you.
Back in the days when the Magic and Wonder had just coolers, if you had medication that required a cooler temperature you could request a real refrigerator. Wonder if that still happens if what Disney is advertising as refrigerators aren't cold enough?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter