Temp check at entry - how strict?

misskari

Mouseketeer
Hello - We will be traveling in June with my 5 yr old daughter who has Cerebral Palsy. It's generally known/accepted that kiddos with CP have a hard time regulating body temperature, so she naturally temps high (ave 99.3). I am a little concerned that she'll temp too high and not be allowed entry, especially with the huge range that forehead handheld scanners have. I know they don't look at Dr's notes, so if anyone has experience with temping high I'd love to hear how you navigated it.

I have one who tends to run high specifically when in the car or outside (I've been told this is a small child issue that most people don't know because it normally never matters) but anyway, his forehead would be high but his tummy would temp normal. If you have a thermometer that tests the surface, it might be worth checking to see if she has a "low" spot. We've had a couple times in the past year people questioned him, but he lifted his shirt, got a scan on his tummy and got in. This didn't happen at Disney, but I would expect an explanation that it's a thermal regulation disorder would help you.

I normally temp at 97.4 or somewhere in that neck of the woods. At WDW, my temp was almost always lower than that, sometimes by quite a bit. One time I asked and they said it was 94.5! Hello hypothermia! LOL!

I think if she does have high temp, they will ask you to move to a different area and wait for a bit and then they will re-check you. If you are OK at that time, you are good to go. If it's still high, then they won't let you in at that time.

I have one who tends to run high specifically when in the car or outside (I've been told this is a small child issue that most people don't know because it normally never matters) but anyway, his forehead would be high but his tummy would temp normal. If you have a thermometer that tests the surface, it might be worth checking to see if she has a "low" spot. We've had a couple times in the past year people questioned him, but he lifted his shirt, got a scan on his tummy and got in. This didn't happen at Disney, but I would expect an explanation that it's a thermal regulation disorder would help you.
This is great info to know! Thank-you for sharing it! :)

This is from the Disney World website:

"Temperature screenings are required for entry to some locations.

You will be required to undergo a temperature screening with no-touch thermometers before entry to some locations at Walt Disney World Resort, including the Walt Disney World theme parks, the Disney Springs area and table-service restaurants at Disney Resort hotels.

Based on guidance from health authorities, anyone displaying a temperature of 100.4 F or above will be directed to an additional location for rescreening and assistance. Those with temperatures 100.4 F or above will not be allowed entry; those in their party will not be allowed entry either.

Before you leave home, be sure to check the temperatures of everyone in your party—including yourself—as an extra layer of precaution."

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/#drawer-card-temperatureScreenings

So they are pretty strict, but the temperature would have to go over 100.4 degrees to be denied entry. I am not sure if they would allow temperatures to be taken anywhere but the forehead and behind the ear - those are the two I have heard of. Maybe someone else has had experience with alternate temp-taking locations on the body.

I have heard they have a tent with AC for people to sit in if they run a high temp. would that help her if her temp is a little high that day.

They will not take a temp anywhere except forehead or behind ear.

If your child runs high, explain her condition when you are taken to the little tent and they should understand. They are actual contracted healthcare professionals so they will understand.

They will not take a temp anywhere except forehead or behind ear.

If your child runs high, explain her condition when you are taken to the little tent and they should understand. They are actual contracted healthcare professionals so they will understand.
Is that an official policy documented somewhere?

Is that an official policy documented somewhere?

You can call Disney and ask them, or you can call Advent healthcare and ask them, since they are the ones doing the checks. I know here in CA, Hoag is running the checks and they will only actually read a forehead or temple temp, not even behind the ear.

Have you tried taken her temp occasionally when you’d expect it to be higher? Does it ever near 100.4f?
Before it actually rolled out so many people worried their allergy fever was going to trip the system. Haven’t heard of anything since so likely no issue after all.

You can call Disney and ask them, or you can call Advent healthcare and ask them, since they are the ones doing the checks. I know here in CA, Hoag is running the checks and they will only actually read a forehead or temple temp, not even behind the ear.
That's interesting. As I posted earlier, my son has been able to have his tummy checked at multiple places in Michigan. Calling CMs to ask anything in advance is notoriously useless.

That's interesting. As I posted earlier, my son has been able to have his tummy checked at multiple places in Michigan. Calling CMs to ask anything in advance is notoriously useless.

I don't know many places outside of Disney that are so strict about temp checks, honestly. Even the doctors offices we go to are very blase about it. Downtown Disney at Disneyland is another story.

When we went in August, my DS with autism was flagged for over 100.4 temp twice as he also runs high and has trouble maintaining body temperature at times. Both times they immediately retook behind his ear, and his temp was fine and we were let in. After it happened twice, we started having him ride in the stroller walking up to the entrances with a fan blowing on him to keep him cool. We didn’t have the issue again!

We had brought our thermal scanner from home and checked everyone before leaving our hotel room each morning, and he was always fine there. Since we stayed at Boardwalk and walked to two parks a lot, I honestly think he just overheated in those short walks. He was 5 this past summer and does not like to ride in the stroller at all, so it was hard getting him to do that for the walk over. We are going again this summer and I am nervous about this same thing happening again. But that was what worked for us last summer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter