Tell me where to find discounted Textbooks

DisMomme

Waiting to go to my WDW home again...
I'm taking some classes this summer and I'm looking for a reliable, inexpensive company to order my books from. I bought a used book from a Barnes & Noble seller. It looks almost brand new but they do not have the other books I'm looking for.

I am leary to buy a used book online because I've seen some that are terrible. Do you know of any bookseller that sell reduced price new books? or a gently-used used book?

I rent them for my daughter from collegebookrenter.com I found them to be much cheaper than chegg. The service has been great! Returns are easy and one time we ordered the wrong book and I sent it back and got credited quickly. Couldn't be happier and I was worried about the whole "rental" aspect of things.

I usually buy used from Amazon and B&N. Like anywhere else, just check the seller's feedback/rating, though especially on Amazon it's worth remembering that a lot of sellers are just other college kids selling off their books from last semester. I've used Chegg but I could get most of my books cheaper used on Amazon, AND since I own them I can sell them off somewhere later.

Also be sure to check your school library, many profs have a copy of the book on reserve and if you're willing to just take an hour each week and do your reading in the library you can avoid buying it (saved me $130 on my media & society book). Or look for international editions or one edition down, usually they're exactly the same or just very slightly different - but it's like $5 used vs. $70 used. I've done this a lot and never had a problem with missing information.

Thanks for the quick responses and great ideas. I'm not sure I want to rent my books. I'd like to have them for future reference.

I like the idea of going to the library (wish I'd known that when I was at college). Unfortunately, I'm taking these classes online and I'm about 300 miles away from the campus.

Has anyone used a download textbook? I found one of my books available from the publisher in download form. It is about 1/2 the price, same as I can find for used books. Can I highlight the text in a download or should I keep a word doc open to put notes?

We always buy ours used through Amazon.com. 99% of the time that is the cheapest way to go.

Before you use a textbook download be sure that you know how the teacher plans on using the book. My husband recently wanted to do a download version as it was the cheapest but he found out that the book was required to be used during the actual class and that the teacher did not permit any electronics (computers, iPads, iPhones, etc.) during class.

Now it is rare that a teacher bans all electronics but his one teacher did due to cheating issues in a previous class. Apparently she allowed the textbook to be used during exams but didn't want students to access computers and iPads during the exam because of the ability to search the Internet.

Can I highlight the text in a download or should I keep a word doc open to put notes?

I've only ever had one e-book and it used Adobe Digital Editions. You could highlight, but the word doc wouldn't work since it didn't allow you to copy out of the e-book (DRM restrictions). However it did create a little toolbar with links to the places you'd highlighted, or you could search the text (my favorite part). It can be hard to read on your computer screen for a long time (or at least I think so), but otherwise I think e-books are a great value.

I rent from chegg too. Most of the info I would need or want to refer back to could be found online and be the most updated info (books generally become outdated at some point). If you are looking to buy them betterworldbooks.com is a good place. It's located in my area but they ship all over. The books were always in really good or new shape.
Good luck!

I got my graduate degree online and bought all of my books one edition older from amazon.com and saved hundreds.

IIf you are looking to buy them betterworldbooks.com is a good place. It's located in my area but they ship all over. The books were always in really good or new shape.
Good luck!

Betterworldbooks.com is where I got my first book. It said it was used but there is no highlighting at all in it and the CD that came with it was still sealed. I wish they had the other books I need.

I understand the renting concept but I will need the books to refer to next year as well. I also need to take a state exam when I am done and woud like to have the textbooks to refresh my memory. How long can you keep the rented books? I guess I will check out the Chegg website and see if they even have my books.
Thanks!

My son and daughter rented from Chegg.com.

:thumbsup2 this is what everyone at my college does. And I don't even bother buying Math/Algebra books. If they just use worksheets to teach you and the homework is online..the only thing you would need to buy is online access code for the homework..FYI.

If you want to purchase, try www.addall.com. They list essentially every online book dealer in the country, and some outside the US as well. You can then choose whoever has the best terms on the items that you want.

There is standard terminology on the physical condition of used books being sold by legitimate dealers; it comes out of the rare-book auction world. These are the usual terms used in the market:

Book Condition
Condition of a book is usually in the form of VG/VG, Fine/Good, VG/--, etc. The first part is the condition of the book, the second is the condition of the dust jacket. If a "/--" is present, it usually means that the dustjacket is not present.

New - A new book is unread, in print and in perfect condition with no missing or damaged pages.
As New - To be used only when the book is in the same immaculate condition to which it was published. There can be no defects, no missing pages, no library stamps, etc., and the dustjacket (if it was issued with one) must be perfect, without any tears.
Fine (F or FN) - Approaches the condition of As New, but without being crisp. For the use of the term Fine, there must also be no defects, etc., and if the jacket has a small tear, or other defect, or looks worn, this should be noted.
Very Good (VG) - Describes a book that does show some small signs of wear - but no tears - on either binding or paper. Any defects must be noted.
Good (G) - Describes the average used worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted.
Fair - Worn book that has complete text pages (including those with maps or plates) but may lack endpapers, half-title, etc. (which must be noted). Binding, jacket (if any), etc., may also be worn. All defects must be noted.
Poor - Describes a book that is sufficiently worn, to the point that its only merit is as a Reading Copy because it does have the complete text, which must be legible. Any missing maps or plates should still be noted. This copy may be soiled, scuffed, stained or spotted and may have loose joints, hinges, pages, etc.

I have been renting from chegg for the past year and I love it. Especially last fall when my math book was $250 and I rented it for $25.99.

Another thing I have done is check any used book stores in your area. We have Half-price books and it takes a bit of digging but I have found textbooks for less than $10 there.

DD gets her books from textbooks.com. They are really good about buying back anything you don't want to keep at the end of the term.

I've had really good luck with ebay. I just stick with the sellers who show pictures of their actual book, not the mass market pictures from ebay. Some classes it really doesn't matter if you get the previous edition, I always email my professor ahead of time and ask if it'll be ok to use the 5th edition instead of the 6th for example. Some classes this doesn't work, my Immunology text had 2 new chapters for instance, but many times the professor has said it was fine. It really depends on the subject matter.

I've often seen one of my classmates looking at our text online through google, and she said she didn't buy the book. Next time I see her, I'll try to remember to ask how that works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter