tell me it's possible

pixxi

Mouseketeer
I'm not a runner but wanted to motivate myself and challenge myself. About 7 years ago I signed up and did a triathalon without and prior training and my goal was to finish. I did!

So, I signed up for the Glass Slipper Challenge to again motivate and challenge myself. I work in a hospital and walk 12 hours during the day. The walking doesn't bother me. Now that I'm trying to walk fast to see where my min/mile time is I have horrible shin splints and ankle pains. They go away when I stop walking, if I stretch when I'm walking it's worse (feels like it's burning).

I have bought new shoes, KT tape, compression stockings and it's a little better to start with but when I did a jog/walk app after the 2nd jog portion my shins killed and then I started walking like I was stomping the ground. I was able to keep walking the 1.5 miles but at a slow pace. I'm able to walk a 16 min. mile....exactly on time so no extra leeway...yet. But I'm not walking more than 1-1.5 miles a few times a day when I'm not working.

Does anyone else have a similar story and overcame the problem? I'm starting to feel defeated before I even really start. I do think I have beginning arthritis and just bought some Tylenol arthritis to try before. I just saw a rheumatoid doctor who said my hip's were like a 60-70 yr old (arthritic looking without a lot of cushioning) and I'm 41. Since all the other labs were fine he's going with diffuse pain and wanting to treat me for fibromyalgia. I feel more stiff in the joints, so I'm not sure that's right.

I don't want to loose out of the money but I also want to enjoy the experience of a Disney run, I do have time but I'm just worried. I'm 5'2" so I feel like I'm taking 4 steps to other peoples 1 step.

The naughty side of me wants someone to run the 10K for a pace time and that will give me more time on the coarse but that isn't fair to myself or anyone else! I'm also thinking of paying $125 and joining a 12 week running program...but I don't even know if I'm up to that level yet even if they say beginning runners.

Any word of advice for people that have been in my shoes.

Plenty of people have been in your shoes. If you need advice/inspiration, I would take a few minutes to read through some of the training journals on this board.

Well, I'm not even remotely experienced, but the first question I'd ask is whether you have been fitted for your new shoes. If you are experiencing pain, that's always the low-hanging fruit. I've "run" off and on for a while, and the absolute most important thing is appropriate shoes.

Second, what are you running on? Run on blacktop, not the sidewalk. I've found what I'm running on makes a big differences for shin splints, in particular.

That said, I haven't been training long, but the first month or so I HURT. I know you aren't really supposed to run through pain because it's usually a sign of injury, but I guess I could tell it was general pain and not an injury. For a while I didn't think I was ever going to be able to run more than 60 seconds. I got to the 90 second intervals, I thought my legs were broken, LOL. Shins hurt, ankles, heels. I also have the joints of an old person--I'm 38 and very overweight, so running is pretty stressful on them. However, only a couple of months into CONSISTENT training, I feel great. I'm running 20 minutes at a time, and can easily run/walk 4 miles. I would have laughed in June if you'd said I'd be here now. Very important is consistency. I've tried before, but gave up within a few weeks because my shins hurt or whatever. I'd stop for a while, and then it was always like starting at the beginning.

In my completely unprofessional opinion, it sounds like you are having the tight, screaming muscles of a body not used to the activity. I'm sure someone can give a much better explanation of lactate threshold or some other explanation, but new running feels hard on the muscles. You've trained before, so you know what it takes, and I'm sure you can do it!

I'm not a runner but wanted to motivate myself and challenge myself. About 7 years ago I signed up and did a triathalon without and prior training and my goal was to finish. I did!

So, I signed up for the Glass Slipper Challenge to again motivate and challenge myself. I work in a hospital and walk 12 hours during the day. The walking doesn't bother me. Now that I'm trying to walk fast to see where my min/mile time is I have horrible shin splints and ankle pains. They go away when I stop walking, if I stretch when I'm walking it's worse (feels like it's burning).

I have bought new shoes, KT tape, compression stockings and it's a little better to start with but when I did a jog/walk app after the 2nd jog portion my shins killed and then I started walking like I was stomping the ground. I was able to keep walking the 1.5 miles but at a slow pace. I'm able to walk a 16 min. mile....exactly on time so no extra leeway...yet. But I'm not walking more than 1-1.5 miles a few times a day when I'm not working.

Does anyone else have a similar story and overcame the problem? I'm starting to feel defeated before I even really start. I do think I have beginning arthritis and just bought some Tylenol arthritis to try before. I just saw a rheumatoid doctor who said my hip's were like a 60-70 yr old (arthritic looking without a lot of cushioning) and I'm 41. Since all the other labs were fine he's going with diffuse pain and wanting to treat me for fibromyalgia. I feel more stiff in the joints, so I'm not sure that's right.

I don't want to loose out of the money but I also want to enjoy the experience of a Disney run, I do have time but I'm just worried. I'm 5'2" so I feel like I'm taking 4 steps to other peoples 1 step.

The naughty side of me wants someone to run the 10K for a pace time and that will give me more time on the coarse but that isn't fair to myself or anyone else! I'm also thinking of paying $125 and joining a 12 week running program...but I don't even know if I'm up to that level yet even if they say beginning runners.

Any word of advice for people that have been in my shoes.

First, don't let your "naughty side" get the better of you. I won't get on a soapbox, but as you said it wouldn't be fair to anyone.

Your shin splint and ankle pain sounds a lot like the pain I had when I began running. When I say began running, I mean I began walking because my transition was very slow. I worked through and around the pain by mixing up my forms of training, mainly low impact cardio training on an elliptical to augment my running/walking. My shin splints were caused primarily by muscle tightness in my lower legs and calves so I also looked up stretches to help with shin splints. I've had shin splints come back at various points in my training over the past few years, even as I have lost a fair amount of weight and have vastly increased my fitness. The return has always corresponded with periods where I neglected my shin splint specific stretching. There are many great resources on the web to give insight on different stretches.

The other piece of advice I would give is that training at top pace in every training session, or even most of them, is the best way to get injured; and, even if you avoid injury, is not likely to provide the best gains/results. Your shin splints may be a byproduct of trying to do too much, too soon. This feels counter-intuitive, but it may be best to not try to immediately walk/jog/run at the required pace for GSC and rather work up to that pace.

I believe that many other people have been in your shoes and accomplished their goals (I'm one of them). There are certainly going to be some aches and pains when beginning walking/running at a level you aren't accustomed and I think you definitely need to give it some time, work yourself into your program, and reevaluate as things progress. Achieving your goals may not be easy but that makes achieving them more worthwhile in the end.

I have been fitted for new shoes at the local running store but going the treadmill and also a foot pressure analysis which didn't indicate anything but that I'm normal. I was fitted with a shoes but after 1 day of wearing it I returned it and had to special order a wide shoe but they ordered me a mens shoe in a extra wide. It's been 3 weeks and no shoes, my gut is telling me that the mens shoe is going to be to wide since I'm a wide in new balance for womens.

I also joined the local running stores training program for a walk/run 10K, a 12 week program with education and training. Monday was the first day and while this is a beginner course, everyone else had completed 1/2 and full marathons. When the walk/run started the instructor wanted to keep all of us together for safety but all others took off running so there wasn't a run/walk portion (2 min run/3 min walk). I had to stop and walk pretty quickly since my ankles/shin hurt so I couldn't flex my ankle/toes up. I feel totally intimidated and this isn't what I expected when I signed up, everyone had their heart rate monitors strapped to their chest and garmins and decked out in athletic gear. I addressed this concern when I signed up and was told there are all levels and I won't be the only one who is slower. A nurse that wants to run a 10k decided to take pity and walk with me to I wasn't alone but now I'm holding her back. The instructor said to talk to the store about getting inserts but the salesman said he doesn't think I need them.

I keep going for walks a few times a day when I'm not working 12 hour shift. I walk all day where I work. I know it's going to take work but I'm so frustrated, I'm trying to do the right things to get this to work. I even made a motivation board at home.

My advice is o switch to run/walk intervals rather than just trying to walk fast. It is far easier to run/walk a 14 minute mile than it is to walk a 14 minute mile.

I agree with everyone else, it will be painful until you get in to shape. I am telling my daughter the same thing as she is overweight and trying to train for the Infinity Challenge. She's having aches and pains everywhere. But I would also recommend icing on a daily basis, if not twice a day if possible. I have PF and when it flares up icing helps so much but I have to be committed. It's a royal pain, but it works.

I also agree with the walk/jog method.

I am sure your local running store invites all levels/paces to run, but sometimes the true factor is the runners who sign up to participate. Since it is a store sponsored group, are there organizers who run with the group? If so, can one of them run with you? Have you checked for a local Galloway run/walk group? You might find that it has a wider range of levels/paces than your local store. My group ranges from the super speedy to straight walkers. No one runs alone. You may also want to look at your intervals. How did you decide upon a 2 min run/ 3 min walk? Shorter intervals might work better. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it really does work. You have plenty of time. Just be consistent. Your hard work will definitely pay off. Happy training!

Last edited:
Yes, if you are overweight, things will hurt at first. FTR, I really haven't lost any weight--maybe a few pounds--and my joints already feel so much better.

Your experience is exactly why I've never joined a running group. I'm sure there are plenty that are awesome, but that scenario is exactly my worst nightmare. I'm confident I would be the one that ended up with the marathon runners, and then I'd promptly quit. If this is one you paid for (as mentioned above), I'd be particularly grumpy, because it obviously won't give you what you need (and what was advertised). Hopefully this was just a free group at your store.

Do the run/walk intervals! I can't say this enough. When I started running, no way could I have walked a 15 min/mile pace for any length of time. My first runs (30 second intervals) weren't even that fast. But there's something about the act of "running", even at obscenely slow rates, that makes you feel like more than a walker. You can also build on that very easily. Do look at the Jeff Galloway plan.

First off: lots of people have been in your shoes. You can totally do this.
Secondly: You have a lot of time between now and the race. You mentioned that you are already running 1.5 miles now. Congratulations you are ahead of schedule. If you start now with Jeff Galloway's run walk 5k plan you should be starting with a run/walk of 1 mile. Follow that plan for 10 weeks and then switch to his half marathon plan. (that's a 17 week plan till race day). That should take you right up until the race. Make your run intervals shorter than you think you need them to be. As others have stated pushing yourself too hard is a great way to get injured.
Third: It sounds like you are already trying a lot of things for your shins splints. You may also find a neoprene lower leg sleeve helps with the pain. I wear one throughout the day if my shins start to bother me when I run.

I agree with what a lot of folks have said. When I first started I had horrible shin splints. With time and training and getting fit in the correct shoes I rarely have a shin splint issue. FWIW Hokas work great for me, they are pricey and a little ugly but I love them. Check out some of the Jeff Galloway training plans for walk/run/walk. Hang in there and don't give up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter