Tell me how bad Christmas week really is.

Brutal. You know it’s brutal or you wouldn’t ask.
But. Realistic expectations and a good plan and you will have fun :)

All the posts are mostly about MK. What about the other parks?

Again, just my opinion, but you'll find a lot of hyperbole and dramatization in the responses here about Xmas. Yes, there is no denying that it's the busiest week of the year. MK is the busiest park. The other three are definitely quite crowded, but nothing like MK...specifically certain parts of MK. Sure, we saw lines in '15 and '17 Xmas that we NEVER see during summer, Thanksgiving or any other time we've gone. But that's not to say you're shoulder to shoulder, can't move, etc... That's not the case at all. The walkways can get crowded, but you can still get around just fine. It just takes a bit more patience. We never got "stuck" anywhere in HS, AK or Epcot...not even close. The only time we got "stuck" in a sea of people was in MK immediately after a parade. Even that was sort of our own fault for choosing the wrong path. We were stuck for maybe 2-3 minutes tops, then slowly made our way where we needed to go (we were in Liberty Square and got stuck trying to use the zigging walkway toward Splash/BTMRR)

We are traveling to Walt Disney World Dec 21-31 for the first time. We have made several trips over Thanksgiving week and one trip the week leading up to Easter. Will this trip be more crowded? I have a son with sensory issues and crowds can become overwhelming for him. Thanks for any input.

Personally, pictures don't lie! Also, reports from friends/family that have gone once, don't lie! We would never go! We will spend our good $$'s to go at other times and 'know' we have an excellent chance to have a relaxing time. Just went middle of April, and that was such a time.

Having a ds with crowd issues would be a definite 'no go' IMO. Just 'normal' day crowds can be overwhelming enough for some.

All the posts are mostly about MK. What about the other parks?

This is Epcot on NYE
(my own personal pics)
This was how it looked all day too, not just at night when I took the photos
*, we had an absolute blast. The energy from the crowds are part of the fun, quite honestly. But it's a totally different type of trip and I honestly did feel for anyone I saw with a My First Visit button on
CM had traffic flow down to a science so it was never gridlock
26165456_10211069927410909_1868739238650624448_n_2.jpg
26056078_10211069927650915_6545583734529278982_n.jpg

26166078_10211069934531087_7331871722875886123_n.jpg
26055653_10211069929130952_8929875675579577068_n.jpg

This is Epcot on NYE
(my own personal pics)
*, we had an absolute blast. The energy from the crowds are part of the fun, quite honestly. But it's a totally different type of trip and I honestly did feel for anyone I saw with a My First Visit button on

Wow, that's quite a crowd. That's my experience too...CMs really have the traffic flow down to a science.

My only counterpoint about that is that those photos were taken in Epcot on NYE, presumably late at night. That's pretty much the extreme end of the "bell curve" of how crowded WDW is over the holidays. Most of the rest of the time, it's not like it is in those photos. We were in Epcot on NYE day, but much earlier (late morning). We didn't go to the WS, only Future World. It was busy for sure, but nothing remotely close to that.

This is Epcot on NYE
(my own personal pics)

Thank you! Our plan for NYE is EPCOT so it's great to see what to expect. I will go to this trip with expecting HUGE crowds and we will adapt. I prefer to know what to expect than getting a bad surprise. I am also planning accordingly. In fact, the only reason we took the dining plan for this trip during the Holidays is because I am planning on eating a lot more TS meals than usual. I cannot even imagine how bad QS restaurants in the parks must be with crowds like that! I also added a day to our trip so we can take a resort day at POFQ on NY day to recuperate from the crowds and late evenings at MK on Dec 30 and EPCOT on Dec 31st! Those photos also answer one of our question, do we bring an umbrella stroller for our 6yo. She won't need it during the day but I think I will bring it so I don't worry loosing her in the crowds. I will also put a bracelet on on both kids with our phone numbers in case she gets lost in the crowds (they know our cell phone numbers but English is their second language and they are super shy).

As for first timers, I really feel for them. Last NY my cousin asked me if I thought a Christmas trip at WDW was a good idea for him and his very young family (first visit). I told him I wouldn't do it if I was him. But for us, since we go to a Disney park every year, it's okay if we don't do everything. I will prioritize everyone favourites and the rest will be a bonus! Plus, we get to spend Christmas at my parents condo in FLL (we are checking in at WDW on Dec 28) instead of in the cold in Canada and it will be my kids Christmas surprise gift!

I can't speak to the crowds over Christmas but I have 2 spds kids who both can't handle crowds. I think if you think ahead as to what helps your son, you may be able to make a good plan, especially since you have been there before.

Our first trip I learned the hard way and now for our next trip, I have a list of quiet areas and all the sensory things they need.

I feel for you! SPD and Disney is TOUGH!

View attachment 323107 The main parks were terrible, which was why we relaxed in the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon for a bit.

That's not Typhoon Lagoon. That's Volcano Bay opening weekend;) Actually, Volcano Bay was about that bad opening weekend. I almost got squeezed out of my tube in the not-so-lazy river and then someone tried to steal my tube out from under me:sad2:

We did 12/27-1/2 in 2016. We loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat. However, we knew what to expect and went with the flow instead of our usual commando-type touring. Get to park opening, especially if it's extra magic hours. Have a table service reservation for lunch or dinner to give yourself a break and somewhere to sit without pressure to leave. Bring winter and summer clothes. The temperatures really vary. They were in the 40s and in the 80s while we were there.

As a teenager, I didn't mind Christmas at MK at all, especially when we brought friends. We would all just hang out, people watch, and talk in the 2 hour lines. Bodies literally pressed together in the hub was annoying and made it hard to stay together, and you didn't move anywhere fast (I don't know how people do it with strollers or wheelchairs), but if you are just looking for some fun and Christmas cheer, and don't mind a mosh pit every once in a while, it can be a blast. My local amusement park can see long lines as well, and doesn't have anything as efficient as FP+, so it's all in the expectations and the kind of experience you want/ your son can handle. The biggest difference to me is that the walkways are much more crowded than slower times.

That said, if you stay on property and hit the EMH early (like in line 30 minutes before opening), then 7-11 at Christmas is about the same as 9-1 during a moderate week. Touringplans tells me you can ride the same number of attractions in both those times ;) So I would sacrifice morning sleep and follow the advice of people here and get to the parks early and get out - eat an ADR at 11 or 11:30 if you really want to eat at a restaurant in the park, otherwise, I would just as soon eat at a resort restaurant. You will be hungry by then because you got up and ate breakfast so early! Evenings will be crowded, especially around parade and firework routes, but you can make it fun. Maybe just plan for mornings and let afternoons be chill, and then take evenings as they come unless you have ADRs or dessert party tickets. Most of all, be ok with leaving a crowded park and doing something else. The resorts aren't very crowded at all. You can go to Animal Kingdom Lodge and do some of the fun animal activities or watch the geyser at the Wilderness Lodge. Go mini golfing. If you don't mind paying for activities, then there are fun tea parties, pirate adventures, etc. that are great fun and capacity controlled. You could also have your sensory son go to your resort's child care center for a night (they do fun things for them), and let the rest of the family enjoy a crowded park if the crowds are too much for him and everyone else really wants to go one evening.

If your child is anywhere near being able to use a stroller, do it! My 8 year old would happily ride all day if I let him, so definitely consider the option, even for an older child. A lot of strollers have carry capacities as high as 100 pounds. For a teenager, just try to be as engaging as a friend and upbeat and not stressed about the crowds so he gets the body and speech signals from you that the crowds are ok and not threatening. If you stress or get aggravated, then it will make him worse. If you have a group, you could always triangulate him, and keep him protected by family members so at least he is bumping into familiar people (though with siblings, that could be worse...) At the very least, you could give in to the smart phone and have him so distracted that you just need a firm hold on his arm to steer him through traffic he won't even see. Hey, no judgment - with sensory kids, you see to their needs and happiness on vacation, not a bunch of "shoulds" in parenting. I assume you have the noise muffling headphones for him. They are great for rides themselves, and may help in crowds.

A walking resort, or uber/lyft or Minnie Vans to and from MK or other parks could be nice as well, though I am not sure of wait times for rides around Christmas. It is often cheaper than renting a car, and you don't have to deal with parking and get door to door service. I don't think they are that bad, but post fireworks is anyone's game. Speaking of fireworks, my favorite for Fourth of July MK Fireworks is to sit on the grass at the Grand Floridian by the lagoon for an epic show, and you don't have the same crowds as in the park. You could do the same for Christmas and enjoy GF's gorgeous Christmas decorations. Another of my favorites was riding the ferry back from MK as the fireworks show exploded with the music piped in. Free fireworks cruise! Though a dessert party sounds pretty awesome and would be the best if you want to see the lights on the castle.

Yes, the crowds are bad, and sometimes the walkways are at a standstill. However, if that's when you can go, then just plan to manage the situation and enjoy it. Especially don't beat yourself up with "We should have gone at Thanksgiving again. Why did we do this?" Just have it be an exploration into the craziness of the Holiday Season around Disney, and chat it up with your family. Be ok with fewer rides and longer lines and be a rope drop maniac.

Animal Kingdom is your friend on NYE. We've done it for a couple years in a row, and it is honestly less busy than certain spring and fall days. Folks tend to avoid AK on NYE because it's the only park that closes before midnight. The days before Jan 1, we avoided MK during the day with the exception of Dec 30, when you can watch the NYE fireworks. New Years Day we did DHS. Totally doable if you don't "have to do everything". We went back to MK a few days after Jan 1, and actually had a poor experience because staffing was reduced relative to Christmas week and there weren't enough CMs managing the crowds. Plus not all rides were operating at full capacity, or so it seemed.

The first two hours of the day at Disney parks are nice and then it's down hill from there. Before an MK parade you literally can't move. It's doable for Disney diehards with patience, rope drop fastpasses, and realistic expectations, and I've been five Christmas weeks. I'm not planning another time Christmas week, though, as the crowds really and truly are too much for DH to deal with. DS and I are fine as Disney diehards, but not DH. I'm not going to do that to him again.

You might not believe it, but there really and truly is a big difference in a crowd level 9 vs. a crowd level 10 too.

Even though resorts are full, resorts aren't crowded as everyone is at the park. If you have a family that enjoys pool time, playing tennis at your resort etc. this can be a nice break from the crowds.

Traffic offsite is very heavy. Don't drive around just for the fun of it. Only drive when you need to get from point A to point B. Restaurant waits will be long -- even with an ADR 180 days in advance we normally had to wait 20-30 minutes to be seated with that advanced reservation from six months earlier. Offsite at dinner time waits are long, so we ate in or did dinner at places that are normally breakfast places like Perkins where we could sit down right away.

Christmas time is usually when we go cause of school schedules and the fact that I simply cannot do another hot summer in Orlando. We go around December 20th-December 26th and have never had to wait more than maybe 30 mins for a ride. We rope drop at the parks, use fast passes in late morning, have lunch before the crowds rush to the dining locations, then head back to the resort for swimming or naps. We head back to the parks in the evening using whatever fast passes we can score (cause we used our first three that morning) or whatever attractions have a reasonable wait time. Avoid the MK on Christmas day for sure but for us, it works. As long as you have a plan and a bit of patience, it will be fine.

Again, just my opinion, but you'll find a lot of hyperbole and dramatization in the responses here about Xmas. Yes, there is no denying that it's the busiest week of the year. MK is the busiest park. The other three are definitely quite crowded, but nothing like MK...specifically certain parts of MK. Sure, we saw lines in '15 and '17 Xmas that we NEVER see during summer, Thanksgiving or any other time we've gone. But that's not to say you're shoulder to shoulder, can't move, etc... That's not the case at all. The walkways can get crowded, but you can still get around just fine. It just takes a bit more patience. We never got "stuck" anywhere in HS, AK or Epcot...not even close. The only time we got "stuck" in a sea of people was in MK immediately after a parade. Even that was sort of our own fault for choosing the wrong path. We were stuck for maybe 2-3 minutes tops, then slowly made our way where we needed to go (we were in Liberty Square and got stuck trying to use the zigging walkway toward Splash/BTMRR)

Visit at this time every year. Agree with both of these. With a good FP+ plan you will never wait in a line of over 20 minutes and can pretty much avoid any shoulder to shoulder bottlenecks.

We went Christmas Week in 2015. I have no issues with crowds, love the energy of all the people, but I have to say...it was not good. We went to DHS and AK on Christmas Day and both were extremely crowded. We were able to do our 3 FP's but nothing else in DHS, so we then hopped to AK and pretty much just walked around for a few hours until we couldn't deal anymore. I was miserable after about 3 hours due to the crowds. It's not just crowds, it's thongs of people. You can't even imagine that many people in one place at a time until you actually experience it. For us, in both parks, it was shoulder to shoulder with some pushing and shoving going on. I have no idea how any of the posters above (who have been during Christmas week) are not complaining about the crowds! I will try to post some pictures later of our crowds. We did not have good luck at all that week and will never do it again.

I have no idea how any of the posters above (who have been during Christmas week) are not complaining about the crowds!

We get to the park near or before opening, schedule Fast Passes to be done by 1:00, return to the resort or have lunch at a resort during the most crowded time (1:00-5:00) and then return for evening fun. Honestly we did not encounter "thongs (sic) of people" except NYE at MK.

We also had great success getting multiple fast passes after our original 3 by refreshing the MDE app. Did we get FOP or Seven Dwarfs, no, but many others. Again, it's all about planning and expectations, in my opinion.

The pictures being posted all seem to be MK's Main Street or Epcot's World Showcase on NYE. There are plenty areas in each park where the crowds can be less intimidating in our experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter