Tell me all there is about a January trip

I have been in January, April, May, July, November and December. Here is my opinion of each month:

January was perfect as far as weather and crowds. However, there are several things not working and the parks are not open as late. I feel like the ticket prices should be reduced due to these factors.

April was crowded but the weather is perfect.

May was perfect for weather and crowds.

July was a nightmare! NEVER AGAIN!!! Too crowded and too hot.

November was perfect for weather and crowds were light the week after Thanksgiving.

December was too crowded! Probably won't go back again during December.

We usually go to Disney every other year. We went in 2009, 2011, and will return in 2012. We have been in March and May before. Never again when it is hot. We were thinking of January 2013. How is the weather, crowds, is this low season(prices)? Is free dining usually offered during this time? Just looking into before making our final decision on month to go.

My January trip was my favorite time to go to Disney (I've also been in March, April, July and September). The weather was perfect, a little nippy at night, but mid 70's during the day. The crowds were also the lowest I've ever seen them.

I pretty much agree with the previous posters. We went in January 2010 and I don't remember the exact dates but it must not have been when the really cold weather was there. I don't remember it being extremely cold and I am from South Mississippi so I hate the cold. We wore jeans, long sleeve t's and hoodies. Hoodies came off mid morning and put back on later in the evening.

I do remember there were lots of little bitty kids, preschool age. I wouldn't say the crowds were non existent or we had lots of walk ons. I do remember using fastpasses and waiting in some lines for RNR and TOT. But compared to spring break it was much better. And cheaper too.

It is my favorite time to go even though the parks close early. We are going back the end of this month. I may be in the minority but I kinda like the parks closing early. It gives us an excuse to go back to the room and rest after supper. We were not nearly as tired as when we went at spring break. When the parks are open later you feel obligated to go back late.

As for the refurbishments, the only one that really affects us is BTMRR. I love that ride. But Splash Mountain is open so that is a good thing.

Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread. We are considering going next January, but due to a change in the school calendar, we would have to go over MLK weekend, which I am pretty sure means no free dining:confused3. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's comments.:cool1:

Thank you to all that replied that have gone at other times too. For the last three years (2009,2010,2011) we went the last week of January/first week of February. We found it to be perfect for us as we could usually find a way around any crowds or tour groups with a Hopper on our pass and found not too many attractions closed. We would gladly go back again any time. The change of weather in the same day doesn't bother us as we are use to cold weather and appreciate seeing no snow or ice. We always experienced low crowds other than with the main attractions such as Toy Story Mania, Soarin', etc that we use the same strategies everyone else does on these boards to maximize the number of times you can enjoy them.

In 2009 we were inexperienced and we paid full price for our vacation minus the CAA (AAA) discount. In 2010 there was no free dining offered but the purchase 4 nights receive 3 free. In 2011 we experienced free dining.

We are thinking of trying to go back again in January 2013 as a grand gathering with extended family. If that doesn't work out, we were thinking of going in May to try to see it then.

The one negative amongst all the wonderful positives, is lack of natural scenery. The trees are not in bloom, or leaves on some of the trees and we have some funny looking ugly trees with our castle pictures and other pictures. We would once like to see the World with more color.

Is it really crowded during MLK weekend?? I'll be there during that time this year. Thanks. -Amanda

Yes, VERY busy which is why there are no discounts over that weekend. But the crowds usually thin out by that Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thank you to all that replied that have gone at other times too. For the last three years (2009,2010,2011) we went the last week of January/first week of February. We found it to be perfect for us as we could usually find a way around any crowds or tour groups with a Hopper on our pass and found not too many attractions closed. We would gladly go back again any time. The change of weather in the same day doesn't bother us as we are use to cold weather and appreciate seeing no snow or ice. We always experienced low crowds other than with the main attractions such as Toy Story Mania, Soarin', etc that we use the same strategies everyone else does on these boards to maximize the number of times you can enjoy them.

In 2009 we were inexperienced and we paid full price for our vacation minus the CAA (AAA) discount. In 2010 there was no free dining offered but the purchase 4 nights receive 3 free. In 2011 we experienced free dining.

We are thinking of trying to go back again in January 2013 as a grand gathering with extended family. If that doesn't work out, we were thinking of going in May to try to see it then.

The one negative amongst all the wonderful positives, is lack of natural scenery. The trees are not in bloom, or leaves on some of the trees and we have some funny looking ugly trees with our castle pictures and other pictures. We would once like to see the World with more color.

There's plenty of greenery in January. Disney purposely plants things that don't drop their leaves. Don't think of it like the north, even in winter Disney has flowers, bushes and trees and beautiful landscaping. We've seen impatiens and begonias in the winter.

I'm confused, though. Do we skip EMH parks or go to EMH parks to avoid the tour groups? Seems there are conflicting reports on that count.

The majority of the tour groups are not on property, so will not be able to stay for evening EMH. We utilize EMH when we're there, especially in the AM, because they are relative few people there.

I think people assume because the groups are made up of teenagers that they want to be at the parks late, but Disney is pretty good about making sure the group leaders know they have to be out of the parks at normal closing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter