• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me all the things: Dream 4-night from Miami, Nassau, Castaway Cay with 7yo and 4yo

Ronneeaght

Mouseketeer
Hello! I’ve searched and read a number of threads and trip reports and now I’m coming straight to the experts.

We are booked on the Dream for a 4-night out of Miami in April. So far we’ve done two sailings on the Magic out of NYC with our now DD7 and DS4. What’s different about the Dream? What’s different about flying in? (tickets were much cheaper from FLL, even with added transportation costs so that’s what we booked) What are good Nassau activities for kids this age? Any knocked-it-out-of-the-park hotel recommendations in FLL, Hollywood, or Miami? (We are flying in the night before so need one night, preferably with a pool or close to the beach)

I thought I found a good deal at the Hollywood Beach Suites and Hotel, but the Google reviews make it seem like they do a bait and switch.

Thanks for the help! Super excited about this trip. I never thought we would do a four night, but it works *perfectly* with my daughter’s spring break schedule.

What’s different about the Dream?
So many things! I haven't been on the Magic yet, but I have sailed the Wonder. I admit to liking the Dream/Fantasy better in general - but I don't have specifics. Some things just seemed to be laid out better I guess, with the addition of extra decks.

Specific notes for Nassau/Castaway (my son was 4 during our first sailing in 2019 and turning 8 shortly):

We did the chocolate factory when he was 6 on Nassau - he was bored with the tour, but enjoyed the chocolate making part at the end. We haven't done anything else in Nassau. When we were there last month on the Wish, we just stayed on board.

On Castaway, we head out to the family beach near the waterslides, because it just seems to have easy access to everything (although it takes a hot minute to get over there - so if you think you're more of a back to the boat person, maybe go to a closer beach) - slides, beach, lunch, and bathrooms. DS likes to play on the beach all day, so we sit there and enjoy the kind waiters who bring us drinks while he swims/slides/etc.
Haven't yet felt the need to try to do an excursion on CC.

On Castaway, we head out to the family beach near the waterslides, because it just seems to have easy access to everything (although it takes a hot minute to get over there - so if you think you're more of a back to the boat person, maybe go to a closer beach) - slides, beach, lunch, and bathrooms. DS likes to play on the beach all day, so we sit there and enjoy the kind waiters who bring us drinks while he swims/slides/etc.
Haven't yet felt the need to try to do an excursion on CC.
Oh, this sounds like pretty much our ideal beach day. We tend to sleep in on vacation, but once we make it onto the Cay we’ll probably stay as long as we can. Thanks for the tip!

When your kids are older they might enjoy the water park at Nassau's Atlantis. For now, I recommend staying on the boat at Nassau. Go bike riding on Castaway Cay, among other things.

We are doing this same cruise next week on the Dream. I had my oldest, DD21, actually decide what we are going to do on Nassau and castaway. She decided to just go to Junkanoo Beach and we will probably walk through the straw market and possibly go to the pirate museum.
On castaway she wants to do a bike ride in the morning and rent snorkel equipment later in the day.
We are still looking for a good hotel to stay at in Miami for the 6 of us so if you find any good info on a hotel that has transfers to the port let me know!

Still looking into hotels. Has anyone taken the Metromover to NE 6th St and Biscayne Blvd and just walked across to Port of Miami? Google says it’s only 1.2 miles, but is it along a highway or is there a good sidewalk? Not trying to be a cheapskate, just contemplating options.

Had a good experience a few years back at the Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale. Some nice walkable restaurants by the marina and food and drink plentiful at the hotel. Good shuttle for a fee to port of Miami. We are on the Dream next week too, but live within an easy drive of the port now.

We just got off the Dream, this exact itinerary. My kids are 11 and 6. We stayed at the Doubtletree Biscayne Bay in Miami, and the restaurant downstairs had a fabulous breakfast that was fairly priced. Kids loved the free chocolate chip cookies and wanted to try the rooftop pool but it was cold and we were tired from our travel day. I would stay there again, just avoid the seafood restaurant up the escalator as it was incredibly mediocre. Our Uber to the port took 5 minutes, and the port itself was very easy to navigate, security first then check in. We got there right before our PAT of 11:15, and were on the ship by noon.

I've been to Nassau many, many, many times so we didn't get off the ship. In Castaway we did the Stingray snorkel, it was cold but the kids liked it. We were one of the last groups to do it before they canceled it due to high winds. Note that the beach chairs by the Pelican Plunge slide were all claimed by 11am when we finished our activity, but there were plenty free at the 1st stop closer to the beach.

What was different than the Magic/Wonder:
- The Aquaduck. The kids loved it and we rode it a bunch of times. We tried to pick good times to avoid waits (like Nassau day) but the crew foiled us by opening it late on both Nassau and Castaway Cay day, not until noon.
- Midship Detective Agency, we solved both of the cases, super fun, especially the Muppets one.
- Remy. This dinner is a must-do for us if we sail the Dream/Fantasy again. Incredible meal and a good value considering what a comparable meal would cost on land in NYC.
- Beauty and the Beast. I loved the Frozen show on the Wonder, and this one was also quite well done.
- Pirate party/Pirates League makeovers. I don't know if the Magic offered these on your NYC cruises, but on our Wonder to Alaska they didn't. The kids loved getting dressed up as Pirates and then taking photos with the characters in their Pirate outfits. The deck party was silly but fun.
- Oceaneers Club has the Millennium Falcon "simulator" that the kids expected to be a video game but is really just a video that plays the the kids can't control. My eldest said he liked the club on the Wonder better and I have to agree. YMMV on that one.
- Animators Palate has the Crush show instead of the Drawn to Life show. It's so loud in there that unless you're right next to a screen, you can hardly hear Crush never mind interact with him. The tables that were close enough to interact seemed to have fun with it but I preferred the one on the Wonder. You can request to be near a screen if it matters to you, but a private table mattered more to me in the end.

We had fun but apart from the Aquaduck and Remy, there was nothing that would really make me pick the Dream again over the Magic/Wonder. It holds a lot more people and I felt the crowds especially on Castaway and in Cabanas and Animators. Everyone on the cruise seemed to have a cough by day 4 and we all came home sick (in our case Covid negative, others on our cruise did test positive). Whether that was a consequence of the crowds or it being February and more colds going around I can't say.

All in all I'm glad we tried the Dream, especially with the Disney+ offer that let our two kids sail free. But I would pick our next cruise based on the itinerary.

Circling back on the question about bikes for kids on Castaway Cay— my 6yo has finally gotten confident riding her bike and would love to ride around the island—but she’s way too small for an adult bike. Do they have a kids’ size bike (with or without training wheels)? I recall seeing a few child seats in the back of bikes when we visited CC last year.

Circling back on the question about bikes for kids on Castaway Cay— my 6yo has finally gotten confident riding her bike and would love to ride around the island—but she’s way too small for an adult bike. Do they have a kids’ size bike (with or without training wheels)? I recall seeing a few child seats in the back of bikes when we visited CC last year.
They have every size of bikes, with and without training wheels. When you pick yours (or have one handed to you), make sure that the tires are inflated and that both wheels turn freely. They are not the most well-maintained bikes in the world, and riding with a stuck brake pad is a pain.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter