Tell me again about Magic Kingdom Rope Drop

DisneyPups

DIS Veteran
I have tried searching "Magic Kingdom rope drop" and "Magic Kingdom opening" and I can't find details. I haven't been to MK in over a year (since before they started the opening hub show). I am going to be at WDW during Spring Break for the first time ever (DDs bday just happens to fall during SB and we told her we'd take her before consulting the calendar!). So we will be at MK next Monday 3/26. Park hours are an 8am opening. We're staying at Bay Lake Tower. When do we arrive at the gate? (We're early risers, so feel free to offer your earliest, but know it means entertaining an almost 3 yo who won't know why she doesn't get to walk in yet! Ha!)

Feel free to respond here, or direct me to that old thread that described the new Hub opening... THANKS!

I have tried searching "Magic Kingdom rope drop" and "Magic Kingdom opening" and I can't find details. I haven't been to MK in over a year (since before they started the opening hub show). I am going to be at WDW during Spring Break for the first time ever (DDs bday just happens to fall during SB and we told her we'd take her before consulting the calendar!). So we will be at MK next Monday 3/26. Park hours are an 8am opening. We're staying at Bay Lake Tower. When do we arrive at the gate? (We're early risers, so feel free to offer your earliest, but know it means entertaining an almost 3 yo who won't know why she doesn't get to walk in yet! Ha!)

Feel free to respond here, or direct me to that old thread that described the new Hub opening... THANKS!

If you want to ride 7DMT at RD then I would get there pretty early, like 7am. If you're headed elsewhere then you should be ok for 7:30am in my experience.

Thanks. I should clarify... I just want to know when they start letting people in, when is the Hub show, and when do people get to move to the rides? (We have FP for 7DMT for DH and DD5... I'm taking DD2 for her first hair cut).

But back to your suggestion, is 7am to be at the front of the crowd? Are people at the hub at 7:30? Sorry for the questions... I'm used to the old Train Station RD show.

We were there last week with 8AM openings. I believe they began letting people through the tapstiles around 7:45. The opening show is around 7:55, and as soon as it is done, they drop the ropes. If you are heading anywhere other than 7DMT or possibly Peter Pan, I wouldn't worry about being at the gates any earlier than 7:40. That will give you plenty of time to tap in and walk up toward the castle for the show.

PP explains it well. I will add, opening procedures can vary day to day / CM to CM and a minute or two here and there can change how things go, but generally speaking, for an 8AM opening...

7:45ish - gates open
7:55 - “Let the Magic Begin” welcome show will be on the castle stage
When the show is over, they ‘drop the ropes’ at each hub spoke and the park is open (usually there will be a few CMs slowly walking people to prevent running and general chaos)

Have fun!

Wonderful! Exactly what I was looking for. Wer’e going to try to reduce our crowd impact (haha. Last week in March—bit of an oxymoron) by Fastpassing all Fantasyland rides/shows and starting the day at POTC and “western” lands. I won’t stress getting there super early now since we aren’t going to the high traffic areas just yet.

Do people actually run??

No, people don’t run at rope drop. At MK, each hub spoke has a rope with several CMs. Once they start moving, the CMs walk the group further into the park - usually quite slowly. Frankly, it is pretty orderly (and designed to be as such). They’ll be some jockeying in the crowd for the spoke that leads towards the Tea Cups since most 7DMT folks head that way, but you can’t run.

No, people don’t run at rope drop. At MK, each hub spoke has a rope with several CMs. Once they start moving, the CMs walk the group further into the park - usually quite slowly. Frankly, it is pretty orderly (and designed to be as such). They’ll be some jockeying in the crowd for the spoke that leads towards the Tea Cups since most 7DMT folks head that way, but you can’t run.
Thanks. That’s great news.

Do people actually run??

MK seems to do a better job managing this than Pandora... Josh at EasyWDW posted video and it is a bit chaotic from tapstyles to the bridge to pandora because there is so much room and so many people hurrying to be in the front of the pack because it is the different between 10 minutes and three hours.

Where is the best spot to wait for the opening show to RD 7DMT? Still the pathway near the rose garden that bring you between Cosmic Rays and Winnie the Pooh? Havent been since the new opening and plan to RD 7D.

Where is the best spot to wait for the opening show to RD 7DMT? Still the pathway near the rose garden that bring you between Cosmic Rays and Winnie the Pooh? Havent been since the new opening and plan to RD 7D.

I'm curious to know this too.

Not trying to hyjack the thread but I also don’t want to start a second one with the same title! I’ll be there the same week (but different days) and I also haven’t been there since the new show began.

If it’s a 9:00 open on Tue 3/27 and we’re heading to Frontierland first—What time should we arrive? Is 8:30 early enough? From what I read most people will be going in a different direction.

Not trying to hyjack the thread but I also don’t want to start a second one with the same title! I’ll be there the same week (but different days) and I also haven’t been there since the new show began.

If it’s a 9:00 open on Tue 3/27 and we’re heading to Frontierland first—What time should we arrive? Is 8:30 early enough? From what I read most people will be going in a different direction.

I think 8:30 is plenty to arrive to head to Frontierland if going to BTMR first.

And if you can’t run because you have arthritis in your knees and a torn meniscus...what then?

Well, you have some options:
1) Crawl
2) Roll
3) Fly (my personal favorite)
4) Trip everyone by tripping the nearest person to you thus creating a domino effect
5) Use a tightrope walker's balancing rod and use it as a 'gate' to keep everyone from passing you
6) Talk sternly to the arthritis and explain to it that it has to go away; superglue the meniscus
7) Ignore the "everybody runs" comment since everybody actually has to walk behind the CMs ;)

I'm curious to know this too.

You'll want to line up near the spoke that heads towards Tea Cups. That's the best/quickest path to 7DMT as the others around the castle can be inconsistent. It will be you and lots of your new BFFs. :crowded:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter