Tell me about the Keys, Miami and everything drivable around the region

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
So we are headed to the Keys and Miami, what are the fun touristy things & places I shouldn't miss?
Parasailing and such is not in the cards because I do not want to end up some kids face plant meme, I mean it would be funny, but, no ;)

Of course, Key Lime Pie, but is there the best one or are they all amazing?

We will be in that area in late March. This will be our second trip to the region.

For Miami, you'll want to walk South Beach and the Art Deco Historic District
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...co_Historic_District-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

The reason we are going for the second time is for the stone crab claws at this restaurant.
https://joesstonecrab.com/

On the drive down the keys allow some time, as the traffic is often very heavy. Stop often along the way for pictures - it is a very scenic drive.

At Key West, we did a sunset sailboat cruise and liked it.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Products-g34345-t11963-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html
Lots of history there. Here are some museums we liked.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...hite_House-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...age_Museum-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...stom_House-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

Take the ferry over to Fort Jefferson. Do some snorkeling. If you want to spend the inheritance, take the float plane over.
Try the Hogfish. It's awesome. As previously stated, the Keylime pie is good. We like vegitating at our site the most. Had fun kayaking.
We lucked out with traffic. Made it down in 7 hours. But yes, traffic can be bad. One accident in the wrong place and you could be sitting for awhile.

We cruised out of Miami a few years ago & flew in a couple of days before our ship sailed. We did a walking food tour of the Little Havana area and then went to Winward Walls, a free art space and museum. Both were great. We had a stop in Key West and I wish we had more time. We walked to the Hemingway House. I'm not a Hemingway fan but we went for the cats! The tour was quite interesting. It seemed that most of the docents really resembled Papa. Just walking around Key West was interesting. Lots of lovely architecture.

We rented a house with a pool in Truman Annex. Perfect area. Beautiful and quiet neighborhood. Just a short walk to Duval Street, Mallory Square and Fort Zachary state park.

Key lime pie is my favorite dessert, and I decided I would try it every place I went where it was on the menu. Unfortunately, this was about seven years ago and I don't remember who had the best! Kermit's was good... but honestly, so is the Publix key lime pie. I'm pretty sure I tried about 15 different key lime pies that week (with only two full days in Key West; the rest was split between Orlando and the West Palm area.) With a shellfish allergy, I was very limited in menu choices in the Keys, so I justified all the pie.

Someone mentioned Danger Charters- we also did an outing with them. We did a snorkeling trip and really enjoyed it. Don't miss the sunset celebration in Mallory Square, and give yourselves some time to just walk around. Some of our party toured Hemingway's house and enjoyed that (I did not go, I was probably looking for more key lime pie.)

On the way down, I highly recommend a stop at Robert Is Here, a... well, farm stand isn't the right word, but maybe a cross between a farm stand and market and petting zoo? We ended up stopping on the way down and on the way back up- I think it's in Homestead. They have a wide array of milkshake flavors, tons of local fresh fruit, and animals out back.

On the way back, we stopped at the state park in Key Largo for a glass bottom boat ride- it was nice, but we didn't see too much (always enjoy a boat ride, though!)

Of course, that’s an all day thing.
Yeah true. Wasn't sure what the OP had available in the way of time. Are they spending some time down south? Hotel stay(s). Miami to Key West is a long way. Is there one day or five? We really aren't party people so the ferry ride over was a nice way to spend the day. We were on Sugarloaf Key for a week. Mile Marker 15 and on island time, doing whatever we wanted.

The coral castle is also a neat stop in homestead it only takes about 2 hours to visit. Around the corner from it is one of our favorite BBQ spots called Shivers. They have yummy burnt ends.

I second a visit to Robert is here and the Everglades alligator farm is a nice stop nearby there too, they have airboat rides and a gator show. https://everglades.com/

Yeah true. Wasn't sure what the OP had available in the way of time. Are they spending some time down south? Hotel stay(s). Miami to Key West is a long way. Is there one day or five? We really aren't party people so the ferry ride over was a nice way to spend the day. We were on Sugarloaf Key for a week. Mile Marker 15 and on island time, doing whatever we wanted.
So we are flying into Key West from the North East, staying 2 nights and then making our way up flying out of Miami Airport so we don't waste too much time in a car. After Key West we drive up and we're stopping in Homestead for a night because I think we might enjoy a hydroplane ride into the Everglades the morning before we reach North Miami. Looking for ideas for Miami too, the Science Museum looks fun and I think there is a Zoo - tough since we were just at Animal Kingdom in November but maybe???

I am undecided about the hydroplane thing though because I'm not so sure about the bug and mosquito situation on one of those, I will hate it if I am getting bit up and then spend my time in Miami spotted with very glamorous Calamine Lotion.

So we are flying into Key West from the North East, staying 2 nights and then making our way up flying out of Miami Airport so we don't waste too much time in a car. After Key West we drive up and we're stopping in Homestead for a night because I think we might enjoy a hydroplane ride into the Everglades the morning before we reach North Miami. Looking for ideas for Miami too, the Science Museum looks fun and I think there is a Zoo - tough since we were just at Animal Kingdom in November but maybe???

I am undecided about the hydroplane thing though because I'm not so sure about the bug and mosquito situation on one of those, I will hate it if I am getting bit up and then spend my time in Miami spotted with very glamorous Calamine Lotion.
We've had experience with these critters. Don't forget your insect spray and sunblock.

https://florida-environmental.com/pests/ornamental-insects/midge/

The bug and mosquitoes aren’t terrible just wear pants and light long sleeve shirt and you would be ok if you go on an airboat. They go pretty quickly so the bugs don’t have time to bite only while it’s idling.

So we are flying into Key West from the North East, staying 2 nights and then making our way up. We're stopping in Homestead for a night because I think we might enjoy a hydroplane ride into the Everglades the morning before we reach North Miami. Looking for ideas for Miami too, the Science Museum looks fun and I think there is a Zoo - tough since we were just at Animal Kingdom in November but maybe???

Hydroplane or airboat? Only because I'd not heard of hydroplane rides before. If they're open like an airboat same thing. Bugs weren't a thing. As long as you're moving, which you are for most of the trip.
Your big enemy will be time. Most of the stuff people have mentioned are half or fully day adventures. Even the couple hour things can take valuable time in the middle of the day. Lots of things to do and see, but prioritize so you can actually get there. It's a long way from Key West to Homestead/the everglades/Miami.
I'm nit a Key Lime pie fan. Too sour for me. My wife is the connoisseur and after working her way through the Keys, she still maintains my cousin's husband makes the best LOL!

Hydroplane or airboat? Only because I'd not heard of hydroplane rides before. If they're open like an airboat same thing. Bugs weren't a thing. As long as you're moving, which you are for most of the trip.
Your big enemy will be time. Most of the stuff people have mentioned are half or fully day adventures. Even the couple hour things can take valuable time in the middle of the day. Lots of things to do and see, but prioritize so you can actually get there. It's a long way from Key West to Homestead/the everglades/Miami.
I'm nit a Key Lime pie fan. Too sour for me. My wife is the connoisseur and after working her way through the Keys, she still maintains my cousin's husband makes the best LOL!
OK, probably airboat, my bad. Thanks!

The Butterfly Conservatory in Key West was really nice. We walked through it twice and would go again if we went back. We also did a Food Tour there and enjoyed the food and the history given on the walking tour. In Miami we walked in South Beach and the Art Deco Historic District and then ate at The Versailles Restaurant in Little Havana.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter