• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about the Grand Californian

GoofyFD

DIS Veteran
We are leaving in two week's for a four night stay at Disney's Grand Californian. What should I not miss? What things should I plan while at the hotel there? Any good food? How is the pool?
Thanks' :wave2:

I just stayed two nights at the Grand Californian, and had a wonderful stay! Each night, they will leave a flyer in your room with special events for the next day. They have some neat things (like an event for teens to go on some of the thrill rides). Make sure you check that out :)

I loved Storyteller's Cafe. They have a great character breakfast (I should know--I ate there four times). But the dinner I ordered off the menu there was probably my best meal of the trip--Filet mignon and farmer's market salad. Don't miss it.

There are actualy two pools, and they were quite nice. They weren't as themed as some of the other pools around, but they were very pleasant.

Karen

We love to go get a quick snack at whitewater (small snack stand next to pool), and then sit in the lobby next to the fireplace and drink cocoa and eat our yummy baked goods. We're also big fans of eating outdoors here on a crowded dca day, to fee like we're still in the park, but paying a lot less for food, and being secluded from the crowds (the place borders the park side).
The chicken sandwich with guacamole and california chiles is HUGE and a great value, and pretty darn tasty.

I also love Storytellers. The corn chowder is OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

You'll be in close proximity to downtown Disney, so there will always be a lot to do!

Have a great time! :earsgirl:

One thing my DW and I enjoyed during our stay back in Aug was a free tour of the Hotel. If you have time, they have a tour where they explain to you the whole Arts and Craft Movement theme of the hotel. It was only an hour or so and was really interesting.

-Matthew

On the 2nd or 3rd floor they have some seating area's that over look the lobby. It's a great place to get out of the ruckus of the lobby but still kinda be part of everything. :crowded:

Also request a frige. If you touch anything in the minni bar you get charged. :badpc:

I'd also like to know if the fridge is free as we are going in 4 weeks and want to bring in some food to snack on. Should we request this before we go or once we check-in? Does anyone know how big the fridges are?

There is a mini-fridge in the room that has items you have to pay for. However, you can request a mini-fridge to be delivered to your room at no extra cost. I recommend that you place this request ahead of time. There is no guarantee, but I think having the request in your notes would be helpful. You can also request that the mini-fridge be locked so no younger guests are tempted to try out the treats.

If you go out the doors to the right of the large fireplace (you can also access this area from the lounge) in the lobby there is a very large porch with another fireplace outside that is nice to sit at on cool nights.

GoofyFD said:
We are leaving in two week's for a four night stay at Disney's Grand Californian. What should I not miss? What things should I plan while at the hotel there? Any good food? How is the pool?
Thanks' :wave2:

Bumping this to the top to hear more about the GC, rather than start a new thread. My sister and I will be staying there in Jan. and I'd like to hear more specifics about the activities that are offered or any other things like the free tour that's offered.

Thanks everyone!

one thing i remember was at the pool one of the hot tubs was "Hot", and was was "cool", so try both to see which you like !

They also have a free class on how to make towel animals. I've taken the hotel tour twice, and we've visited different areas of the hotel.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Napa Rose, which is a top-notch restaurant.

IMHO, the GC is the most beautiful hotel in the whole world.

WOW!!!! We had a wonderful time!!! Great hotel. What I loved is how close to the parks you are. Story Book Restaurant is great also. The pools were a lot of fun and Down town Disney is right there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter