Tell me about the Food and Wine Festival

Ametista

DIS Veteran
I will be at DW next month during the FAWF. Debating whether to go to Epcot because I'm not sure if my 8 year old will want anything to do with it. Has anybody brought their kids and did they like it? IS Epcot crazy busy while its going on?

Is Epcot crazy busy while its going on?

It depends...Epcot becomes very busy on Friday and Saturday evenings because of the F&W. There is a pretty good amount of alcohol flowing, so that's something to keep in mind. Some folks report seeing large number of falling down drunks around WS, but I haven't seen that when I've been there. On the weekdays the crowds are much lighter because the locals have to work. I usually try to go to the F&W festival during the weekdays for lunch when the crowds are pretty low and it's easy to navigate. It's a lot of fun.

In addition to the tastings around WS, there are also demo and seminars in the Festival Welcome Center (Wonders of Life pavilion). I've gone to several of the culinary demos and they're fun. You learn about preparing a specific dish and then get a tasting. Registration has already started, but not all sell out in advance.

There are also the "big ticket" events, like the 3D Dessert Party. I went to that last year and it was a lot of fun. Expensive, but fun (and tasty).

There is a F&W thread on the Restaurant board that will have lots of other information and discussion.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3110971

I would visit the Festival but for lunch/early afternoon Monday-Thursday.

For an eight year old, it would be a wonderful way to introduce him/her to the different foods each country traditionally eats. What I usually do is find the menu posted online (later this month), then research each dish and if there's something I want to try, I highlight it on the menu and make sure I try a piece of food I'd probably never get to enjoy.

The times I've mentioned shouldn't be busy at all.

My kids love EPCOT during F&W. They are currently 12, 11, and 10. We have gone several years and they look forward to it during our October/November visits. Check out the menus and see if there is anything you child would enjoy.

DS wasn't much older than that the first time we went to Food and Wine. He loves it, it's his favorite time to go. I don't think Epcot gets too busy during the week, but I would definitely avoid weekends. They are usually very busy. We prefer to go during the day, we start around lunch time. It's not as crowded as in the evenings.

Our kids (DD 8 and DS 10) like to go to F&W and try a few of the stands. It's a great way to get them to try different foods. We take them during the day...F&W at night is our date night out at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter