• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about letting your kids go off on their own

staceychev

Mouseketeer
We are heading down at the end of this month, for the first time since 2015. Our daughters will be 11 and 16, and they get along really well. I was thinking that I would let them wander a bit on their own this time around, as long as their phones (with location tracking) are on them, and that they stay in the same park we are in. I'd love it if you could tell me a bit about when you got to this point with your kids, and any tips I should be aware of.

Mine is 11 now. First time we went to USF she went off on her own when she was not quite 10. She loved and adored Spiderman, so she'd do that while DH and I went to Hulk. She always walked with a spring in her step the first time we saw her after that. I remember as a child getting time on my own at this resort. The owners had a child my age. Highlight of my childhood. DD has it better, she has a phone. Of course, I always knew where to find my parents.

My kids were 15 and 9 when we did this in the parks. We also left them in the room for date nights or when they would rather unwind and relax and us adults wanted to hit WS. It worked out great. My son is the oldest and a bit more immature for his age and could bicker with his sister. That’s why we didn’t do it when he was younger.

When DD was about 12 we did a mother/daughter trip. One day she didn’t want to do F&W at Epcot anymore and I let her leave Epcot and go to BWV and into the room for a nap. I had no issues with it and would’ve let her wander the park alone if she wanted to. She did do certain rides alone and I shopped or grabbed food.

Mine will be 14 and 12, we’re debating leaving them in the room early in the morning while we rope drop MK from the Contemporary. I just can’t handle the teen/tween angst. Mind you, I don’t know that I’ll actually do it- might make me too nervous.

We do some sleeping in days but I’m always up early. Next trip I told DD that if I’m wide awake I might leave her sleeping and she can meet me when she wakes up. She’s not too happy about this part since she likes us to be together on vacation. She’s ok with me being at the resort getting food or at the pool but not at a park.

Last edited:
I’m wondering how safe allowing an 11 yr old to walk around a value resort would be? Like sending her on an errand to get snacks or drinks from the food court. Hotels creep me out with a daughter and I’d never allow her to walk the halls of a Holiday Inn alone, but feel better at a Disney resort? Am I crazy?

We are heading down at the end of this month, for the first time since 2015. Our daughters will be 11 and 16, and they get along really well. I was thinking that I would let them wander a bit on their own this time around, as long as their phones (with location tracking) are on them, and that they stay in the same park we are in. I'd love it if you could tell me a bit about when you got to this point with your kids, and any tips I should be aware of.
granted it was not Disney and before cell phones but we did this for years with our girls starting at about the ages of yours. had meet spots about every 3 hours and if they were late next time slot they did what we wanted to do not their plans. they also had to obey park rules. gave them a set amount of money for food it was their choice how they used but there would be no more until dinner. only had them complain first day when they had a lot of junk and were hungry at meet before dinner meet. heard from younger daughter, who is mildly disabled, chorus trip her group was one of 5 groups that was allowed to pick their Disney Park on last day as a reward for being on time for every meet. if fact leader said their group would be waiting or just arriving as she arrived. they were on time to the bus for leaving even though they were at a different park. hardest part was sticking to our rules, they only tried once and when they didnt get way they wanted never had any more problems over many trips. they always had some special memory from each trip to share with us and many friends from different shows in one park that we still call friends 20 plus years later

Mine will be 14 and 12, we’re debating leaving them in the room early in the morning while we rope drop MK from the Contemporary. I just can’t handle the teen/tween angst. Mind you, I don’t know that I’ll actually do it- might make me too nervous.
only possible problem is would your younger daughter be able to enter park without you. we separated from our girls at parks but never had them join us later

Trust your children's judgement and inform them that freedom can be given but that also means freedom can be taken.

Trusting your child will boost their confidence and most children will not want to have liberties taken away, so they will behave to keep what they've received.

Of course, every child is different, but Disney is the best and safest place in the world to let them learn to do things on their own.

I’m wondering how safe allowing an 11 yr old to walk around a value resort would be? Like sending her on an errand to get snacks or drinks from the food court. Hotels creep me out with a daughter and I’d never allow her to walk the halls of a Holiday Inn alone, but feel better at a Disney resort? Am I crazy?
You are not crazy.
Just do not make the mistake of making a decision on yes or no because it is a value resort. If there is someone who wants to do harm, they will not make a difference in price level. I think value resorts might even safer because there are usually more people at these resorts.

To me, 11 is a bit old already for these things, but that is solely based on what my parents allowed me and my brother to do 😉

Disney policy states that any one age 14 can enter the park by themselves. Any one age 7 and up may rides by themselves. When mine was 14 she did go to the food court (Pop) by herself. She has yet been allowed (my rules) to enter a park by herself, or stay in the room by herself. Perhaps if she had a sibling to go with - maybe - an only child absolutely not. (She does get in line for a snack (outside vendor) if within eye sight). You just never know.

only possible problem is would your younger daughter be able to enter park without you. we separated from our girls at parks but never had them join us later
No, we’d go back mid morning- I just can’t handle the grief they dish out when I try to get them up and moving! We wouldn’t do it if we weren’t staying somewhere convenient! As I understand the rules, if they did want to join us the younger one would be fine to enter as long as she’s with a 14 year old, but we’d go back to be sure.

We did this with our kids many times over the years. If your kids are responsible and you trust them, I say go for it. They are together. I would text them every so often to check in, or meet up every so often to make sure we are still ok.
My daughter traditionally wanted to go back to the room earlier than the rest of us. She would peace out after dinner by herself. We just texted along the way and she let us know when she arrived in the room safely.
It's always hard letting them spread their wings. My son now (22) rented a place in Mexico for a month coming up. I'm freaking out. But I can't stop him.

I don't think it has anything to do with the age of a kid, it's the maturity/confidence level.

Looking back, 20 some odd years ago I would routinely go into a city with a bunch of friends when I was in my teens. In the days before cell phones....so I think an 11 and 16 year old in a theme park will be fine.

Our boys were taking Disney buses and exploring parks together without us parents at ages 12 and 14. Of course, they had been to WDW before that, and we're very comfortable. I used to quiz them on "how to get from point A to point B" to see their thought process, and told them sticking together was an absolute MUST! Phones help, but honestly, they didn't need us. We gave them each a loaded gift card and their Magic Band. We stayed in touch and met up before dinner. Good times!!!

We started small in MK, like they went off to ride Space Mt, while we did a different ride or whatever, then meet at a certain familiar spot. Also one of the first times, was letting them eat in Pizzafari, while we ate in Satuli. Got them all set up at a table there, then we left. They met us later in Pandora. Last year, let them go around in the WS at Epcot, since they wanted different food than we did. I want to say DD was 14 or 15, and DS was 12 or 13. They each had phones, w park maps, etc. and were familiar w the parks...still got turned around, and took the scenic route we'll say, but found us. Last year, for the first time let them leave from Boardwalk and meet us in Epcot. I was a little nervous about this one, but they did ok, and we texted all the way. DD is VERY petite for her age, and was questioned about how old she was when entering the park. While I am comfortable letting them go around parks, I'm not comfortable letting them walk around hotels/resorts alone, together is ok, but not alone. In general, they do not get along all that well, but they do when they have to. We're going to Universal next week, and I am anticipating a lot of splitting up. Debating if we're going to let them walk or take boats back to the resorts w/o us. We'll play by ear. I say start off with a familiar park, and give them a time to meet/check in often.

I agree that is more about a child's maturity then their age. If your worried why not try a few baby steps by requiring them to stay in a certain area of said park for a period of time and then meet up with you. For example, give them two hours where they are required to stay in Tomorrow land and then meet you in front of Space Mountain at an appointed time. If that goes well, then expand from there.

My eldest was super shy and it took years before he was mature enough to handle this type of responsibility. By contrast, my youngest was around 10 when she started being able to navigate the parks alone or with friends for a window of time with us in the same park and with a cell phone. By her 15th birthday we took 2 friends with us on a WDW trip. I took them the first day to Disney's Springs. It was apparent that they were fine on their own after about a half hour. They shopped, ate alone and managed to take the bus back to the resort. By day two of the trip the 3 girls ended up navigating the transportation system and going to the parks alone. I checked up on them via cell regularly, made a lunch ADR in each park that they were required to meet us at and then we typically meet for the nightly entertainment. They had a blast and my husband and I really enjoyed our time alone together that trip as well.

Looking at my kids, I would trust my daughter at 11 and not my son at 16 LOL my Daughter is a rule-following careful person, whereas my son likes to break rules and things just to see people's reactions hahaha.

I would trust a 16-year-old and 11-year-old together, but I would be hesitant with an 11-year-old to wander off completely. Maybe "in the area" or like stand in line by themselves.

When I was about 10 my parents would drop me and my friend off at six flags for the day with like, $20 and tell us to meet them at the gate at whatever time to be picked up. No cell phones or anything. I could never do that with my kid but I thought it was great. But we used to do school field trips to six flags and great america in like, 5-6th grade so there would be an entire grade of kids for the day with pretty much no adult supervision. I don't think it was safer then per se, but I do think kids were far more respectful then and less likely to do some of the stuff I see kids doing now, like being mean and hateful with staff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter