Tell me about BLT and GFV!

2vets

Addicted since 1971
Considering a 1-bedroom villa, specifically looking to ensure we have a comfy place to have breakfast together/hang out after stuff closes. Other members of the extended party would be staying at the resort side of either (garden wing at CR or outer building at GF) - is it a total pain to get back and forth to the regular resort area? Many thanks!!

I have not stayed at BLT so I can't really comment. We have stayed at CR, GF and VGF. IMHO, VGF has the nicest rooms in all of WDW. The one-bedroom is very comfortable and the walk to the main resort is not bad at all. As an overall resort we prefer GF over CR. More restaurants, better pools and you also have the walking path to Poly if you want some more easy options for dining. It would be very easy to meet up with your extended party at GF for dining, swimming, meeting to get on the monorail, etc.

We’ve stayed at both BLT and VGF. The room at VGF is beautiful. The BLT 1BR offers and extra full bathroom. You can also walk to MK from both BLT and CR. Those two factors make BLT the winner in my book.

Both BLT and VGF are close to their sister resorts. VGF is within walking distance to Poly. For BLT, it’s easy to hop on the monorail to get to Poly and GF. the monorail from GF is often very packed because it’s the stop before MK. Something else to consider.

We just go back from a stay at VGF in a two bedroom and loved it. We walked to the Poly a few times for food at Capt. Cooks. And the walk to the main building at VGF was easy also.

We just got back from our first stay at VGF. It was a nice resort and the room was nice, but we probably won't stay there again. I prefer BLT. It might not be as "fancy" as VGF, but I like the layout of the resort better. I also like the restaurant options better at BLT (Contempo Cafe is one of my favorite quick serves).

In regards to VGF, I did like that we could very easily walk over to the Poly for a meal.

Depending on when you go, crowds on the monorail may or may not be an issue. We never had an issue with them during our recent trip. However, pre-covid, I know crowds are an issue at VGF.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the walkway from VGF to MK is just about ready. So, if your trip is later, that may be an option for you as well.

Happy planning!

You guys are the best - thank you! To be clear - the key determinant of where we stay is walkability to MK. We're not going until November, and given the updates the past few weeks, I'm hopeful(ish) that GF's walkway will be open. So right now, I'd book BLT - but we'd switch to VGF if that walkway opens. My biggest concern is whether it's easy for a party spread across the resort (garden wing for CR or outer building for GF) and villas are so isolated from one another that "coming over for a visit" becomes a pain. The cost isn't a problem, but I don't want to spend the extra money just to spend it :). I've seen a few comments recently about BLT having no easily accessible food (although I'd bring snacks), so I wondered about going back and forth. THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited:
I have stayed at VGF. It is very convenient to the main buildings. GF is my favorite resort. I haven't stayed at BLT but I have done the Contemporary. I don't care for the theming at the CR. I like the pools and dining options better at the GF. I usually go in the summer and walking to the MK is IMO overrated. It is often storming heavily, is SO hot, or my toddler refuses to ride in the stroller. I don't think BLT is far from the CR at all though. Some people love the Contemporary; it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I have stayed at VGF. It is very convenient to the main buildings. GF is my favorite resort. I haven't stayed at BLT but I have done the Contemporary. I don't care for the theming at the CR. I like the pools and dining options better at the GF. I usually go in the summer and walking to the MK is IMO overrated. It is often storming heavily, is SO hot, or my toddler refuses to ride in the stroller. I don't think BLT is far from the CR at all though. Some people love the Contemporary; it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Thanks!! I haven't ever stayed at GF, so we're really hoping the walkway opens!!

I love BLT and would own there if we were into DVC. There’s a beautiful walkway to the main atrium of the Contemporary to meet up with people there. Contempo Cafe and the pool areas, plus the window seating area, and the arcade, are all places we love to be. We love the walkway to MK and the monorail. We visit GF often, mostly for Basin, but my family prefers BLT to visit and stay.

Only stayed at BLT;
Walkways to CR and MK are very easy. They are building a walkway to GF but as of now it is not open. Worth considering though, the resort monorail runs clockwise. i.e. - the ride on the monorail from GF to MK is very short, plus you could take a boat.
Either way, you can't miss - should be a blast!

Considering a 1-bedroom villa, specifically looking to ensure we have a comfy place to have breakfast together/hang out after stuff closes. Other members of the extended party would be staying at the resort side of either () - is it a total pain to get back and forth to the regular resort area? Many thanks!!
I've never actually used a Pedometer mind you, but I would hazard a guess that the difference between the Villas at either resort and the garden wing at CR or outer building at GF respectively, is so close one probably wouldn't notice the difference. Depending on the outer building you're staying in, I might give the edge to GF.

Here is to straddling the fence: Hands down the Grand Floridian is my favorite resort. However, my significant other loves the Contemporary. Why to both??? I love the theming and grounds of the GF and the close proximity to the Poly. I often walk through the Poly grounds to the transportation center to go to EPCOT. I even use that route and walk through EPCOT to go to Hollywood. And soon GF will have a walkway to the Magic Kingdom. (Can you tell I am a walker?) Okay, now for my boyfriend's love of the Contemporary. He likes the theming and loves the 14th floor as it has so few rooms. He loves the quiet atmosphere after busy park days. He also likes the California Grill. He so enjoys his balcony view of the Magic Kingdom each evening with a glass of wine or bourbon. And you can walk to the MK. So we compromise on our trips and have done split stays and enjoy both resorts. I appreciate and enjoy every trip. Oh and I forgot, I do love the spa at the GF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter