Teladoc

amberpi

DIS Veteran
My DH used this service today and I am blown away by how easy and useful it was. He didn't have to go into a doc office and get exposed to additional contagations; it took less than hour from setting up the account to a prescription, and not knowing the price of a Zpack, it was all of $40. Anyone else have this experience?

My DH used this service today and I am blown away by how easy and useful it was. He didn't have to go into a doc office and get exposed to additional contagations; it took less than hour from setting up the account to a prescription, and not knowing the price of a Zpack, it was all of $40. Anyone else have this experience?

YES!!!! I did this a month or two ago with a sinus infection that was just lingering forever, I finally decided that my body was not going to be able to handle this without an antibiotic of some sort and my doctor's office was closed with no online appointments that I could find for later that day. I logged in via my health portal and was connected to a very nice physician within a matter of minutes. He took his time with me discussing my symptoms and what his treatment would be, describing the antibiotic and some common issues I may have with it and called everything into my pharmacy, I received my prescription ready text within 30 minutes of the pharmacy opening (I was actually speaking with the doctor around 7am, which is well before most of the better urgent care facilities open).

My husband did the same when he was traveling for work and couldn't shake an illness and wanted relief before he had to get on another airplane. We were both very impressed with our experiences. Neither of these cost us any money outside of prescription costs.

ETA: we also received emails with a full rundown of the visit so that we would have them for our medical records or to give to our primary care doctors.

Last edited:

No I'm not familiar but I would love to know more!! :)

Yes, our insurance has this and has been a lifesaver for us a couple of times.

As we talk more and more about the cost of service delivery in healthcare, in my opinion this is going to become more common for diagnosis and treatment of more routine ailments. Like the previous poster, we felt that the doctor actually spent more one and one time with us asking questions, etc. and was less distracted than going to a doc in a box.

We are sold on this service and would not hesitate to use it again in the future.

It was recommended to us by our insurance company or DH's employer or something related to that. I was sick last week and thought about using it, but I needed a strep swab, and they can't do that over the computer (yet!). I ended up going to a walk-in nurse practitioner.

Kitty34, the way I understand it, you do a video conference call with a physician instead of going to a dr office. It is for minor illnesses.

You mean this is actually a thing? I’ve only heard of it on these boards and actually thought it was a joke or something. No way would I trust some random doctor.

No I'm not familiar but I would love to know more!! :)

It was pretty much as @gillep described. Dh has had just a run of the mill sinus infection but that wouldn’t let go. He just started a much more elevated job and needs to be ok. He got setup with the program (we had just our insurance cards last week) and was speaking to a doc shortly thereafter. The guy who established his account was great. The doc listened to him, got him what he needed and it was all just so easy with no sitting in an office, etc. I will definitely use this the next time I have something routine but that needs some attention.

You mean this is actually a thing? I’ve only heard of it on these boards and actually thought it was a joke or something. No way would I trust some random doctor.

And it definitely wouldn’t replace a gp or any treatment for ongoing issues. When I need steroids to treat a poison ivy outbreak for instance though, this makes so much sense and is less stress on the system.

I have never heard of this but I would love to do this.
I had a sinus infection that just wouldn't quit but I wasn't going to shell out over $100 to see the doc.
Is this something that is strictly through your insurance or can anyone use it?

I have never heard of this but I would love to do this.
I had a sinus infection that just wouldn't quit but I wasn't going to shell out over $100 to see the doc.
Is this something that is strictly through your insurance or can anyone use it?

Mine is a feature of our insurance. When I sign on to my insurance portal there is a link for Live Health Online which is the service that my insurance company has paired with. All of the billing and everything was seamless and appeared in my insurance portal that day without me having to do anything.

Mine is a feature of our insurance. When I sign on to my insurance portal there is a link for Live Health Online which is the service that my insurance company has paired with. All of the billing and everything was seamless and appeared in my insurance portal that day without me having to do anything.

Thanks. I'm going to check my insurance site and see if they it. I think I do remember it being mentioned but I didn't pay too much attention.

We have it- Live Health Online :)

My husband had a very sore throat he couldn't shake...I set up the teledoc account and he completed the consult from work. (Obviously they were unable to swab for strep, but his throat has oozing sores/white patches, so he had no issue using an antibiotic.) Prescription was called in within an hour. He said the doctor was extremely nice and very professional, I know when I set it up there was a health questionnaire and I put in our PCP and pharmacy info. The idea of someone diagnosing me without being able to actually assess me seems weird, but for small/easy things it is just so convenient. I know ours also have dermatologists on staff (you show/upload rash pictures), as well as therapists.

And it definitely wouldn’t replace a gp or any treatment for ongoing issues. When I need steroids to treat a poison ivy outbreak for instance though, this makes so much sense and is less stress on the system.

Also less stress on the wallet, too, I would imagine.

Neither you or I would likely ever need to because walk-in care for minor issues is fairly easy to access and costs us nothing out-of-pocket. I'm not sure there are any services like it in Canada but I could see benefit to it for people in more remote areas without easy access, although where they'd then go to get the prescription meds, I'm not sure. :confused3

This has to be some sort of "trending" thing in the States though. I've heard about it watching Dr. Phil, who himself has invested in and is promoting an on-line service called Doctor on Demand.

Our health insurance uses Live Health Online too.

My daughter had a sinus infection and I couldn’t get her in with her pediatrician for over a week! Urgent care in our area had a two hour wait so we used Live Health Online through BCBS. It was so easy and quick. Felt like the doctor was thorough. Would definitely use the service again.

As an aside, it is super frustrating to have an illness and not be able to get in with your doctor. This constantly happens with our pediatrician. We end up going to urgent care most of the time where we wait for several hours.

ETA: It was way cheaper too.

Also less stress on the wallet, too, I would imagine.

I think it depends on your plan. If dh could get in with his gp (so hard during flu season) it’d be less, but he’d have to waste so much time. And it’s far less than an urgent care clinic.

Does anyone know if a person could get blood work ordered from Teledoc?

Would love to get DHs PSA (prostate screening blood test) done to at least have a baseline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter