• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teens going to WDW alone?

laughinplace199

<font color=blue>AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs<br><
DD and her friend want to go to WDW for their spring break. DD is 17 and her friend is 18. DD has been to WDW more times than I can count - she knows her way around and is very comfortable with how transportation works. Her friend has been a few times as well.

As a parent, would you have any problem with this? DH & I think it's a great idea. It's easy and pretty safe but would still give them independence to be travelling alone. They'll fly nonstop to Orlando, take Magical Express to the resort and use Disney transportation the whole time. They have no plans to leave WDW property.

We are getting together with her friend's mom soon to discuss the trip and I'm wondering if there are any potential problems I'm not seeing. What do you think?

I think it's great that you are giving your daughter some independence. I would make sure your DD has a credit card and cash she could use in case of emergencies (travel delays that require an extra night in a hotel room, etc.), and just double and triple check Disney's policies about minors. When I was a senior in high school my friends and I wanted to take a cruise by ourselves after graduation. The cruise lines had a rule that anyone under 18 had to be accompanied by an adult over the age of 25. Since I was still 17 and the oldest friend was 20, we couldn't do it. So we found a hotel in the Bahamas that didn't have an issue with my age and went there instead.

I'd have no problem with it. Teens here go down the shore for a long weekend after the prom, it's crazy (and I did it, and my teens did it).

Depends completely on the teens. I wouldn't blink if it were mine.

DD had just turned 18 when she flew to Colombia SA for a couple weeks. She was with a friend who had family there but they had to navigate to get there (2 flights) and get bumped off a flight and stay in Bogota on their own. SO WDW is a breeze in my book, haha.

Since your DD is familiar, they are flying, using ME, staying on property - I think it sounds like as safe as you can pick for a trip on their own.

Thank everyone. DH & I think it's a great idea, but wanted to get perspective from other parents in case there was something we weren't thinking of that may be a cause for concern. I'm glad no one here is seeing any issues with it either.

To the poster who suggested a credit card, thank you. That is a great idea and something I hadn't thought of.

Our DD's, now 22 and college graduates, went with friends each of their 4 college years. They had been many times as well, and completely knew how to use Magical Express, the internal transportation system, etc. As parents, we loved knowing they were in a familiar place where they didn't have to drive, etc. They always had an amazing time!

I agree with sending them with a credit card for "just in case".

Now our younger DD, a freshman in college, will be having her first "Spring Break" trip coming up in March. :)

I went semi-alone with my cousin when we were 15 and it was great. We down in a motorhome w/ second cousin's family and stayed with them in Fort Wilderness, but during the day and for meals and everything we were on our own. Now this was about 20 years ago, so norms have changed but we did totally fine and didn't even have cellphones back then (I remember getting a calling card for the payphones by the showers). The only big rule was that we had to stick together.

I would only say no if you think the draw of the vacation is going alone instead of going to Disney. You know them best so that is your decision.

Sounds awesome and far safer than a lot of other spring break and senior week trips I've heard of.

I would have no issue with this as a parent, I don't think. My only thought is what is the age to check into a Disney hotel - 18 or 21?

That sounds like SO much fun! What a great idea -- like you said, some independence but in a controlled environment. Love it!! The only advice I have has already been given (checking age policies for resort the resort & having an emergency credit card). The only draw back I can think of would be how SUPER jealous I would be of my daughter going without me. :rotfl2:

That is a much better first independent trip than Mardi Gras in New Orleans or one of the hot spring break locations. I think this sounds like a good way to let her stretch her legs. I would especially like that they don't have a car.

DH (my then boyfriend) and I went when we were 18 and 19 (in college for spring break). We were 100% fine.

But then again, my mother sent me on a trip to Spain when I was 17, practically by myself, so there's that.

I would certainly do that! I remember as a teen myself playing at Magic Kingdom with my friends. My parents just dropped us off and picked us up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter