Teen Clubs

Laura353741

Mouseketeer
Hi! My son and I will be cruising in December... He will be 11 at the time, is that the Edge teen club? Can anyone tell me about any experiences with any boys around this age and if they spent a lot of time there? Do they love it?? What all is there for them to do?

Hi! My son and I will be cruising in December... He will be 11 at the time, is that the Edge teen club? Can anyone tell me about any experiences with any boys around this age and if they spent a lot of time there? What all is there for them to do?
Edge is ages 11-14. I'll also point out that an 11 year old can participate in Oceaneer's (ages 3-12). He can go back and forth between them, if he wants.

Edge is ages 11-14. I'll also point out that an 11 year old can participate in Oceaneer's (ages 3-12). He can go back and forth between them, if he wants.
Oh that's great!! more choices for him... I am wondering if he will like hanging out there or with me more....

My son is also 11 and we are going on our first cruise in about 10 days. He has been watching lots of YouTube videos showing the kids clubs. He is very excited to check them out! As long as there are other boys his age there, I expect my son will be there more than with me! It probably depends on your son. Maybe show him some YouTube videos of the ship tours that show the one you are on and the different kids clubs (there are SO many videos out there) and see what he thinks.

My son is also 11 and we are going on our first cruise in about 10 days. He has been watching lots of YouTube videos showing the kids clubs. He is very excited to check them out! As long as there are other boys his age there, I expect my son will be there more than with me! It probably depends on your son. Maybe show him some YouTube videos of the ship tours that show the one you are on and the different kids clubs (there are SO many videos out there) and see what he thinks.
Well our cruise is right after Christmas so I had wanted to keep it a secret until Christmas morning :) :)

Well our cruise is right after Christmas so I had wanted to keep it a secret until Christmas morning :) :)

Oh, I did that too! So.. I guess wait a bit hahah Then show him the videos ;) Both kids clubs look like so much fun with so much to do though!

Oh, I did that too! So.. I guess wait a bit hahah Then show him the videos ;) Both kids clubs look like so much fun with so much to do though!
is there ANY way you could come back after your trip and let me know how he liked it and what he did? :) :) So excited for you BTW!

Our last cruise was when my son was 11. He also had the choice between the two clubs. Edge won hands down. Much more "mature" with all of the video games, board games, TV's and dance floor / music playing. He was a very shy kid and after the first day we never saw him..... unless it was closed! :hyper: Seriously, he would eat dinner and run to the club (great incentive to eat your veggies), and then I would be ready to drop by 10:30-11pm with our younger daughter and my husband would be waiting ourside the door of Edge for HOURS while he kept saying "one more hour...". When we finally left the ship he was high fiving other kids AND the adult counselors that had been in the room. It was his best cruise experience ever. Unfortunately his sister was only 9 and refused to go to the kids club for her age so she stayed by our side. This next crusie they are BOTH eligible for VIBE (ages 15 and 17... YEAH!).

Our last cruise was when my son was 11. He also had the choice between the two clubs. Edge won hands down. Much more "mature" with all of the video games, board games, TV's and dance floor / music playing. He was a very shy kid and after the first day we never saw him..... unless it was closed! :hyper: Seriously, he would eat dinner and run to the club (great incentive to eat your veggies), and then I would be ready to drop by 10:30-11pm with our younger daughter and my husband would be waiting ourside the door of Edge for HOURS while he kept saying "one more hour...". When we finally left the ship he was high fiving other kids AND the adult counselors that had been in the room. It was his best cruise experience ever. Unfortunately his sister was only 9 and refused to go to the kids club for her age so she stayed by our side. This next crusie they are BOTH eligible for VIBE (ages 15 and 17... YEAH!).
This is so great!!! Of course I want to spend time with him on the cruise but I just think it sounds like he would have a blast at Edge!! Ok now I am super excited :) Thanks for sharing!!!

We just got back from our amazing cruise on the Fantasy, and my daughter will be 12 in April...this is the very first time she has been in Edge.

We visited both Oceaneers and Edge(since she could frequent both) and she decided to go to Edge one day, and needless to say, I basically only saw her at breakfast and dinner for the duration of the cruise. She met a wonderful group of friends, and she was so entertained by The counselors and activities in Edge.

Our older DS was Edge/Vibe (14) aged on our last cruise, and Oceaneers/Edge (12) aged on the cruise before that. In both cases he was all about Edge. He likes video games, and there were plenty of them, but there are lots of other organized activities going on and he talked about them just as much. One thing I noticed and especially liked about Edge is that the counselors were very adept at doing a bit of social engineering when someone felt awkward or wasn't sure how to engage... very nice when kids are at that in-between age. We always have late dining, and he was off to Edge the second he finished his dinner every night.

We just sailed on the Magic. While my 11-year old could visit Oceaneers or Edge, she felt a little out of place at both. Ultimately, Edge was a better fit but she preferred planned activities to free time. She does not have a phone and that seemed to be an impediment to making friends as a lot of kids text onboard.

When we started cruising DCL, our kids where in the lab/club. When our son rolled over the Edge, we needed a crowbar to get him out. Same for the twins when they aged up. When he got in the Vibe, it became, "I'm going to the Vibe, see you tonight." After our embarkation lunch in Cabanas. :rolleyes2

I have boy/girl twins. The last we sailed at age 11, my daughter skewed more towards edge and my son more towards the club/lab. Edge is more about social activities and video games, the club/lab more about running around. So depending on your sons personality he may like one more than the other.

My DS, although older now, loved going to the Edge back in the day. I think getting that taste of freedom is what made him start enjoying cruising. It was around those years that he started preferring the cruise over the parks.

We are sailing the middle of March, and my daughter will be 3 weeks shy of turning 11. She has never cared for the chaos of the kids club, but think she would enjoy the edge. Do they have any exceptions for age?

We are sailing the middle of March, and my daughter will be 3 weeks shy of turning 11. She has never cared for the chaos of the kids club, but think she would enjoy the edge. Do they have any exceptions for age?

Yes. As long as they are not at capacity of Edge aged kids you can sign a waiver for her to go. She must have self check out privileges at the Club. Go to Edge on embarkation day and they will get you signed up.

is there ANY way you could come back after your trip and let me know how he liked it and what he did? :) :) So excited for you BTW!

We just got home from our trip and my son (11) LOVED Edge! He spent most of the cruise there - as soon as he finished his supper he was asking to go straight back so he didn't miss activities with his new friends. There was lots to do and he met some friends as well. My daughter (14) went a few times, but didn't stay long. She is more shy though and didn't make any new friends, she stuck with me most of the time and didn't bother with Vibe either.

They had lots of games and activities for the kids at Edge including "Marshmallow Olympics" and video game and ping pong tournaments. We found they didn't always stick to the schedule on the navigator though - it kind of depended on the kids in the Club, I think. There was always something for them to do though, and it helped my son made new friends so they found things to do together as well. He didn't even visit Oceaneers! He was so excited about Edge he said he didn't need to see it - he was happy just hanging out there (plus I think he didn't want to be around younger kids).

Your son will have a blast! Definitely go to the Open House and check it out with him. It was at the Open House where my son met his first friend and they started making plans to come back at certain times to hang out.

Good to see this thread. There is another thread on Edge that is a bit more negative so I was disappointed that it may not be something my 11yr old son would like.

I pretty much had already told him that you never know what you are going to get with these types of situations because the kids change every cruise so it will just be whether he clicks with a group of kids or not. Either way, there is plenty to do on the boat even if he doesn't end up liking it. I think at very least he'll go there every once in a while for the video games.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give their experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter