Teacher Participation......

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackJack08

DIS Veteran
Just wondering what some of your thoughts are on this......

Our Parent School Association, held a halloween dance at our elementary school a few weeks ago. It was well attended by students and their parents. However, the only three teachers that attended were there as parents and NOT teachers. Are we, as a parent organization asking too much of our teachers, by wanting them to attend a two hour after school function?? They were not asked to work or chaperone at all, just to come out and share in some school spirit. I realize contractually they are not obligated but how do we expect students to attend such fundraisers, if the teachers won't even attend?? Maybe I'm off base.........:confused3

As a teacher, I just have to say that I can't make everything. We do a ton of stuff that parents don't see that occurs after hours. Plus, depending on the timing, many teachers don't have anyone to watch their own kids for things like this. Typically, these things also end up being mini parent-teacher conferences when teachers are there, which is hard when you are not prepared and not in a place to do that. It's just really hard for a teacher. I can understand your side as well, since I am a parent, too and have only been a teacher a few years. But, teachers do so much work at home and on weekends, that it's really hard for them to attend other events- mainly because it's more time away from families. I am away from my family, or working so not involved with them, more now than when I had a corporate job that had me working many more hours in the office. Plus, I'm not really sure why you'd want the teachers there- just to stand there? If they are not paying to come, it doesn't help your fund for them to be there, so they'd be just there. If they are expected to pay, then think about all the money they already put into the school and do not get reimbursed for. As much as I love my school, most extra money goes to help the schools my kids go to. And teachers tend to need to have some order and control, which they wouldn't be allowed to do- it's very frustrating to see the kids running around and parents doing nothing about it. I would expect that this would be the case a little as well. Sorry that this was all over the place- just typed as my brain jumped around!

You do make some valid points.

Their husbands and children would also be welcome to attend (if age appropriate, of course). And in the past, some have. I must also say, that this is a very small school. Approx. 250 students. There is no real "silliness" that goes on. There is also other activities that are set up (ie. pumpkin painting, haunted house etc...).....so I just thought maybe it would have been nice, spirit wise , for them to show some support?

I do appreciate the flip side, and that's why I posted it here. To see what you as a teacher would have to say. :)

Our teachers don't attend anything they don't get paid for either. I never saw any teachers at any of my DD's elementary things and only see one teacher at my sons. In middle school a couple would come to the musical. At the High school level even with getting free tickets to the musical and play you can count on 1 hand the teachers in attendance. And they are the same 3-4 who always come.

I know they can't go to everything but I would think in all the years at least one teacher from a big school could show up at a dance or a concert.

Teachers are parents, too. Maybe they had stuff to do with their kids. I know of teachers that go to school activities their children are in (in other districts), but rarely go to school activities for the school they teach in unless they are somehow involved.

Or, maybe they didn't realize the were invited? Since the name of your group is the "Parent School Association" as opposed to "PTA" or "PTO", maybe the teachers don't feel as if they have a part in the organization?

The technical name is actually the "Home and School Association". They do know, that they are invited but thanks for pointing that out. Maybe in the future, a formal invitation would be helpful.

I would be much more likely to attend if I was volunteering, than to go for "fun." Frankly, that doesn't sound fun to me at all!

I volunteered at our Halloween event last week. I always do. However, I wouldn't have gone if they didn't need volunteers. I would have gone if kids were performing, etc. to support them, but not just for a dance. When I had kids, I did that stuff with my own kids. Now that they're grown though, I'm just happy I don't have to!

I never attend any afterschool/weekend functions at the school I teach at.

Why?...because I have two children of my own (one in high school, one in middle school) and we have MANY of our own functions to attend. DS plays on a football team, so our weekends are spent going to games, plus I am "team mom" and a LOT of tasks come with that (more than I would've ever imagined). I also spend much of my weekend time just driving my children from one place to another. When I do have time to stop & take a breather, I want to be able to relax at my house...not go to my workplace.

* I also very much agree with what a previous poster stated...that parents would try to have "mini-conferences" about their kids with me if I were there. NO WAY would I want to have to deal with that.

Teachers are parents, too. Maybe they had stuff to do with their kids. I know of teachers that go to school activities their children are in (in other districts), but rarely go to school activities for the school they teach in unless they are somehow involved.

Or, maybe they didn't realize the were invited? Since the name of your group is the "Parent School Association" as opposed to "PTA" or "PTO", maybe the teachers don't feel as if they have a part in the organization?

Totally they may have other kids at other schools(possible if its public) and went to their party or another pre-planned event. There were not many teachers at my daughters small charter school's fall festival either. The games were fun but with only one volunteer hard to run. I was helping out some but I had my hands full really to be doing it.

I never expect to see any teachers at after school hours functions, except if their own children also attend the school. It doesn't bother me. Teachers have their own families. They spend enough hours out of the day with my kids. To be honest, if my work wanted me to stay and attend an after hours function and I wasn't being paid, there is no way I would.

I am a teacher and yes it is nice to attend, BUT we so have lives and families and thay may have been busy. Were their own children welcome to attend to? That may help with attendance (for some).

Interesting.
Thanks for the responses. I guess I am expecting to much. I guess if they aren't being paid for it, there would be resistance to coming. Perhaps asking them to volunteer next year may get them out. I guess I am crazy in thinking, the teachers may actually WANT to see the kids dressed up, having fun and maybe dance a little "monster mash" with them.....and wouldn't think of it as a chore.

I am a teacher and yes it is nice to attend, BUT we so have lives and families and thay may have been busy. Were their own children welcome to attend to? That may help with attendance (for some).

For sure! Spouses and children welcome to attend. There were snacks/hotdogs etc....most families came for dinner. It was more than just a dance.....there were also halloween activities for the kids to enjoy, that were set up in the hallways! So, if dancing wasn't their thing, they could help or watch the kids paint pumpkins, in the sensory centres etc....

I am Vice Pres of our PTO and we have a rather large school (K - 4th and at least 6 classes per grade level) and get very little to NO participation in almost all of our events. The Pricipal and Vice Principal DO participate and we have tried to work with them to increase participation. Keep in mind teachers reading this - I do not expect a lot at all - not even close to every event, but 1 - 2 per year is not asking a lot. We bust our butts to do fundraising and planning and give a LOT of our budget back to the classrooms. The teachers can (and almost all do) submit requests for teacher grants which are basically classroom supplies that are not covered by the district (supply cabinets, new recording devices, addiitonal headphones for existing systems, carpets with the letters on them, etc) and we approve and pay for almost every request that comes our way. In return, I do expect some participation. But do not recieve it in almost all cases.

I have found that it is Principal 'encouragement' that makes or breaks it here. Our principal, while good, is not one who will take a posiition or 'shake things up' by strongly encouraging more participation. Unfortunately, we might resort to stopping to do the stuff we do for the teachers (well, we won't stop - but might significantly cut down).

The Pres of our PTO is a 1st grade teacher at a nearby school (not the same district) and it makes me so sad as he always talks about how the TEACHERS at his school take the lead on planning/organizing many of the events they hold. And we can't even get them to show up for an hour.

I realize that they have families of their own and like I said I don't expect more than a couple of hours once or twice a YEAR. And, everyone I know does not get paid to do many of the 'extra' activities for their own jobs. Any salaried person who has to go to a company event is not paid for that time. So it is the same in every profession that way.

What saddens me most is that our organization truly does make the school a better place to attend or work with community type events and the extras (teacher appreciation day, taking care of the staff/janitorial with thank you's, bus drivers) PLUS just some FUN stuff (sledding parties, pizza parties). And I think the teachers would be working in an environment that isn't as good overall if we didn't exist. But to get them to see that I think we would actually have to fold, and that wouldn't be fair to our kids - so we will continue on....

I don't know... I think in some ways, it's more relaxed for the kids if the teachers and principals aren't there. Like a company party, and the boss isn't there. I think it's fine.

Interesting.
Thanks for the responses. I guess I am expecting to much. I guess if they aren't being paid for it, there would be resistance to coming. Perhaps asking them to volunteer next year may get them out. I guess I am crazy in thinking, the teachers may actually WANT to see the kids dressed up, having fun and maybe dance a little "monster mash" with them.....and wouldn't think of it as a chore.

Our school does a Halloween parade at the last hour of the day. That way, they can be involved and at the end of the day they can go home to their families. The parade snakes through the classrooms and then goes outside through one door and goes in through anothe. Parents can stand outside and video or take pictures. There is no worry about tons of parents inside during school hours. It has always worked out great. Then you can have your party later and the teachers can go home to their children/families.
I am just wondering why teachers would want to volunteer if they don't already want to attend a function that they don't want to do any work at? I think that asking them to volunteer their time for a party is way too much to expect.

I am Vice Pres of our PTO and we have a rather large school (K - 4th and at least 6 classes per grade level) and get very little to NO participation in almost all of our events. The Pricipal and Vice Principal DO participate and we have tried to work with them to increase participation. Keep in mind teachers reading this - I do not expect a lot at all - not even close to every event, but 1 - 2 per year is not asking a lot. We bust our butts to do fundraising and planning and give a LOT of our budget back to the classrooms. The teachers can (and almost all do) submit requests for teacher grants which are basically classroom supplies that are not covered by the district (supply cabinets, new recording devices, addiitonal headphones for existing systems, carpets with the letters on them, etc) and we approve and pay for almost every request that comes our way. In return, I do expect some participation. But do not recieve it in almost all cases.

I have found that it is Principal 'encouragement' that makes or breaks it here. Our principal, while good, is not one who will take a posiition or 'shake things up' by strongly encouraging more participation. Unfortunately, we might resort to stopping to do the stuff we do for the teachers (well, we won't stop - but might significantly cut down).

The Pres of our PTO is a 1st grade teacher at a nearby school (not the same district) and it makes me so sad as he always talks about how the TEACHERS at his school take the lead on planning/organizing many of the events they hold. And we can't even get them to show up for an hour.

I realize that they have families of their own and like I said I don't expect more than a couple of hours once or twice a YEAR. And, everyone I know does not get paid to do many of the 'extra' activities for their own jobs. Any salaried person who has to go to a company event is not paid for that time. So it is the same in every profession that way.

What saddens me most is that our organization truly does make the school a better place to attend or work with community type events and the extras (teacher appreciation day, taking care of the staff/janitorial with thank you's, bus drivers) PLUS just some FUN stuff (sledding parties, pizza parties). And I think the teachers would be working in an environment that isn't as good overall if we didn't exist. But to get them to see that I think we would actually have to fold, and that wouldn't be fair to our kids - so we will continue on....

You've hit the nail on the head. :sad2:

I work. I am busy. My kids, have many activities outside of school as well. What I do for my kids school, is NOT for my benefit. It is for the benefit of my kids, their peers and the teaching administrative staff. We want a happy positive, safe environment, for our kids to THRIVE not just SURVIVE their school years. Relationship building, is done in the classroom but is also done through many "extra" activities.

Our school does a Halloween parade at the last hour of the day. That way, they can be involved and at the end of the day they can go home to their families. The parade snakes through the classrooms and then goes outside through one door and goes in through anothe. Parents can stand outside and video or take pictures. There is no worry about tons of parents inside during school hours. It has always worked out great. Then you can have your party later and the teachers can go home to their children/families.
I am just wondering why teachers would want to volunteer if they don't already want to attend a function that they don't want to do any work at? I think that asking them to volunteer their time for a party is way too much to expect.

I guess I am just confused, at why asking 4-5 teachers to show up at an after school function and have some fun, with or without their own children is too much to ask. The reason we didn't ask them to be in charge of anything, is so they could enjoy themselves. Perhaps, just have a little "fun" with their students and their families without such a structured environment, such as in the classroom.

Forgot to mention.....even the school janitor (who works the day shift) and is also paid salary (and makes ALOT less money) even came out in full halloween attire and had a ball with the kids! It's just a difference in the attitudes of people I guess........

I can see that teachers have their own lives to attend to after school, with their own children who have schedules to keep also. How often do other professions attend events outside of work time?

That being said, my kids' schools always have lots of teachers turn out at events like this and I think it's great that they do. The climate and culture of the school has a lot to do with it, which is why I love the schools here so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter