• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

teacher/coach christmas gift ideas?

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
So, I need some ideas here! We seem to have a lot of people to buy gifts for and I want to get some nice gifts, without spending too much. Here are the people: Brownies leader, bus driver, cheerleading coaches, teachers. Any ideas? All of them are woman so we could get similar gifts for everyone. Thanks!

Movie tickets are always a good idea. I think it's less than $15 for 2 tickets.

I found cute stainless steel water bottles at Old Navy for $5 each. Perfect for the "green" gift that seems to be the thing these days, and I figure teachers, coaches, etc can always use a handy way to stay hydrated.

Last year, I found small umbrellas that folded very tiny, on sale for under $10 each. I know those were a hit because I've seen them used constantly since then. I think the teachers like to keep them in their desks for carpool duty, and the piano teacher keeps it by the door.

Good luck, it's always a challenge, isn't it?

There was a thread similar to this on the budget board last week. One person mentioned making a scrapbook for the coach. I thought this was a great idea. On person chimed in who was a coach and said she would have loved this, she had coached a few years and it would be nice to look back upon some of these children now.

As for the bus driver, what we have done in the past is get a few parents together to contribute to a group gift. For the most part our bus drivers have been women, we usually get a nice candle set. We've also given coldstone & movie gift certificates. If I am pushed for time and did not get together with other parents, I've made up a nice holiday coffee cup filled with home made biscotti, chocolates and assorted hot chocolate packets. I've also made these cups for the teachers, I let my children pick out which mug and what hot chocolate packets to put in there. I think I was making about 10 when they were in grade school. I could pick up a large assortment of "gourmet" hot chocolates at Sam's for about $10. I always had plenty left over that I could make up a few at a moments notice (hubby always wants to give someone something and doesn't plan for it.)

We will only be able to make things this year and it will either be some type of craft (a kid craft, nothing fancy) or a baked item.

I have a bunch of stamping supplies, so I will hand make cards as well.

What my mom always did for our teachers (in elementary where there was only one or two teachers) was go to the local holiday craft fairs. Usually you can find really cute, one-of-a-kind gifts, really reasonably priced. A lot of them will even personalize it for you.

I know it always made me feel good to go back into some of the old classrooms and still see my Christmas gift from a few years ago hanging in the window or sitting on the desk.

For softball coaches last year, I got them a cool keychain that had the field/bases and a ball on it. They really liked it. I see it on their keychains still now.
I think I will do that for teacher/busdriver gifts this year and a homemade cookie mix in the canning jar. Found a good one...orange dreamsickle cookie mix!

For softball coaches last year, I got them a cool keychain that had the field/bases and a ball on it. They really liked it. I see it on their keychains still now.
I think I will do that for teacher/busdriver gifts this year and a homemade cookie mix in the canning jar. Found a good one...orange dreamsickle cookie mix!

Would you mind posting that recipe? It sounds really good!

ORANGE DREAMSICLE COOKIES

Jar ingredients--

1/2 cup orange-flavored drink mix (Tang)
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups vanilla baking chips (I used the white choc. chips)
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Combine the flour with the baking soda and baking powder. Starting with the Tang, then sugar, vanilla chips and ending with the flour mixture. Layer the ingredients in a clean glass, wide-mouthed, quart sized jar. Press each layer firmly in place before adding the next ingredient.

Tag instructions--

1. Preheat oven to 375*
2. Empty contents of jar into a large mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup softened
butter, 1 egg slightly beaten and tsp. vanilla extract. Mix until
completely blended.
3. Roll heaping TBSP fulls into balls. Place 2 inches apart on a lightly
greased baking sheet.
4. Bake at 375* for 12-14 minutes or until tops are very lightly browned.
Cool for 5 minutes on the sheet then remove cookies to wire racks to
cool completely. Makes 30 cookies. ENJOY!

**NOTE-- When I put the ingredients in the jar, I had the flour mixture not
completely fitting before I put a cover on the jar. The next time
I make it, I will decrease the white vanilla chips from 1 1/2 cups
to 1 cup. If you aren't going to put it in the jar, I wouldn't
change the amount of chips.

Also, my cookies once baked, were crispy and very brown on the
bottom. Next time I will bake for a shorter amount of time on a
slightly lower temp to get a lighter, chewy, softer cookie. Very
good though! They taste like orange dreamsicle popsicles! Kinda
addicting:laughing:

DS15's teachers and bus driver will be getting $15 Walmart gift cards from me. I'm a teacher and I'm amazed at how many teachers have second and even third jobs(including me) in order to make ends meet. I figure they will appreciate a little extra $.

I also don't know them personally. I know I can't use candles because I am sensitive to fragrances AND have 4 cats in my house.:scared1: And I'm prediabetic too, so the sweets go straight to the teacher lounge:guilty:. I don't want my $ to go to waste, so I just give it to them straight, LOL.

Oh, just to add---a letter of appreciation with a copy sent to the principal is always a nice touch if you really like the teacher/coach. Many times, they only call us in for parent complaints. It really makes our week to have the principal talk to us about something positive a parent had said.

Marsha

We've been strapped for cash this year due to the flooding in Georgia(just the basement, but still over $5000:eek:) Here are some unsweetened, low allergen ideas i'm working on:

Silver, gold and natural pinecones--collect pine cones, bake them in a 200 degree oven for about 20 min to kill any critters that might be hanging out. Spray paint some cones silver, some gold. Spray the remaining cones with clear acrylic. Package the cones in cellophane.

Clove oranges--this is one the kids can do. Poke holes in oranges, make swirly patterns. Put a whole clove in each hole. Wrap a ribbon around the orange and secure with a sewing pin. these smell so good, everyone likes them.

Make a Holly corsage--take cuttings off a live holly, or use a fake holly pick. Cut the holly sprig short, wrap the ends in floral tape. Use additional floral tape to secure a safety pin to the stem. Tie a pretty bow to the stem.

Have your child make a card and insert a short note & their picture--adults are suckers for this!

Homemade vanilla extract--fill a mason jar with rum or vodka. take 3-4 vanilla beans and split open the pod lengthwise. Drop them into the alcohol and put on teh top. Leave it alone for 3 weeks or longer. When ready to gift, pour vanilla extract into small jars--Cost Plus Market as a perfect size, about 3" tall with the wire closure on the lid. Package with a spatula or wooden spoon.

Actually, I started my vanilla about 4 months ago--I used spiced rum. OMG! it is so good! I plan to make bags of toasted torn french bread and all teh ingredients for bread pudding. The most expensive part will be those $1.99 bottles to put the vanilla in!

Jewelry at Tiffany's would be a nice touch as well as the Brighton store, and it's something they'll definitely wear. Other top picks for women's coaches are a shopping spree at Santana Row, Kathy Van Zeeland purses or any DSW shoe store. For cheerleaders there are several great collectibles that can be found for team. These make great gifts not only because they’ll have their teams’ logo on them, but because they may be worth something some day. There are figurines, coins, signed baseball, and so much more that would make wonderful gifts. Also cute iPod cases with their team’s logo make a great gift.

Jewelry at Tiffany's would be a nice touch as well as the Brighton store, and it's something they'll definitely wear. Other top picks for women's coaches are a shopping spree at Santana Row, Kathy Van Zeeland purses or any DSW shoe store. For cheerleaders there are several great collectibles that can be found for team. These make great gifts not only because they’ll have their teams’ logo on them, but because they may be worth something some day. There are figurines, coins, signed baseball, and so much more that would make wonderful gifts. Also cute iPod cases with their team’s logo make a great gift.

Sounds kinda expensive. Is that what you give out to teachers and coaches?:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter