TCD's Thanksgiving 2010 Trip Report

You're a rockstar, TCD! Thank you, and Yuri, for the great report! It's almost as good as being there.

Oh boy! Colson and TCD rockstars! And both on one board! I just can't stand it! Oh, what to do!

I think I will go hang some more laundry.

After completing my final rounds, I headed to the Settlement for one more cup of coffee before heading back to camp to do the real packing.

I snapped this shot of the wooded area which shields Pioneer Hall from the paved path to the Settlement:

You can’t see it, but Pioneer Hall is right on the other side of the trees.

I believe it was Shan-man who named this area Pioneer Woods.

I like that name.

So, that’s what I call it too.

I am always worried that I am going to show up at the Fort one day and find Pioneer Woods cleared.

I like to tell people that Pioneer Woods is similar to what the interiors of the camping loops used to look like up until a few years ago, when they clear cut everything to make the Fort less Wildernessey and more park like. I liked it the old way. It’s called Fort Wilderness for Pete’s sake, not Fort Park-like.

For now, at least, Pioneer Woods remains.

Enjoy it while you can.

Someday Chainsaw Guy is going to get turned loose here.

And then Shan-man will have to come up with a new name for this area. Like Pioneer Clear-cut Area or Pioneer Wasteland or something like that.

TCD

Hi TCD!

LOVE the trip reports!! and being in LE means I appreciate even more the undercover work you (ummm, I mean Yuri....) do on our behalf :goodvibes

I also must confess something... I am afraid I might be somewhat responsible for the clear-cutting that started a few years ago.

How, you ask?

No, I am not a Disney Exec, nor am I a majority stock-holder in a chainsaw company ;)

I am simply someone who had a very large tree fall on his camper while at the parks one night (we came back to a large tarp covering the wreckage...) and who then complained loudly about the tree being rotted and unsafe!

My comments were met with silence at the time, but just a few weeks (maybe days even) later, I was told there were crews doing the clear-cutting...

According to someone who talked to one of the crews, the goal was to dry up the wet areas that were causing some of the taller trees to rot and the only way to do that was by clear-cutting.....

Is this true? I don't know for sure, but the timing was awfully coincidental!

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter