• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TCD's Thanksgiving 2010 Trip Report

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
The TCD gang made it to the Fort for Thanksgiving, 2010.

It was our sixth visit this year.

That is quite an accomplishment considering that we were boycotting the Fort for the first three months of 2010.

This trip was sandwiched between Saturday visits to Gainesville and Tallahassee for football games.

So, we arrived on Sunday, November 21, and left on Friday, November 26th.

That's five nights at the Fort.

And, our visit was magical.

You might be thinking that after all of TCD's visits to the Fort there will be nothing new to report.

If you are thinking that you are wrong.

This trip included an unbelievable amount of magic and pixie dust.

It is good to be TCD.

And, guess what?

My cousin Yuri visited us, and wandered off and got lost on one of his photo expeditions. He ended up in some off-limits area, and I found some odd photos on my camera. I'm not sure if I am correct on the location he photographed, but I think I know where he was. He has gone back to his country, so I will have to wait until the next time I see him to ask him for sure. But, I'll share his photos in due time so we can all look at them an speculate.

Another news flash is that I was surprised to find an Musket Mickey item for sale in the Meadow Trading Post.

Really!

I'll have a photo of that, too.

But, as with all TCD trip reports, we must start at the beginning.

We have been to the Fort at Thanksgiving time plenty of times.

It's a great time to visit.

But, it's pretty busy then.

It used to be that early in the week wasn't so bad, with the campground progressively filling as the week progressed.

But, when we arrived on early Sunday afternoon, this is what we saw:

100_0222.jpg

100_0223.jpg

Traffic was backed up past the guard shack.

Only three check-in lanes were open.

And, campers were backed up waiting to check in in every lane.

Not so magical.

The guard apparently told the people ahead of us to go park in the parking lot and go inside to check in, because they took off in that direction. When we reached the guard, he told us we could pick a lane or go inside. I told him I would pick a lane. I don't like going inside. Besides, who is to say that inside was any better.

So, I got in the far left lane.

There were two unopened lanes to my left.

I got out to take a few photos:

100_0224.jpg

The TCD rig is right behind the first trailer in this photo:

100_0225.jpg

100_0226.jpg

100_0227.jpg

100_0228.jpg

This was a bad way to begin our visit.

But, I didn't care.

We were at Disney World.

And guess what?

We got our first sprinkling of pixie dust right then.

As soon as I got back in my truck, a castmember opened the lane next to me and waved me up.

A guy behind me tried to dog me.

But he didn't realize who he was dealing with.

So, I pulled right up.

We had waited in that mess for less than ten minutes!

I had a great castmember.

She knew what she was doing.

That, unfortunately, is not always the case.

She handed me my site assignment.

I had reserved a partial site for this trip.

And dutifully faxed a site request form requesting to be assigned to the 1500 loop.

I knew that the 1500 loop might be full.

But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Anyway, I didn't get 1500.

I was assigned to a site in the 1800 loop.

What the Fort?

That's a full hook up site.

I asked the castmember what was up.

She said I had received a free upgrade.

Free?

Upgrade?

That has never happened to me.

Ever.

But it was happening now.

I know you're not supposed to look a gift horse in the mouth.

But, I am not a fan of the 1800 loop.

Or the 1900 loop.

So I said to the castmember that I really didn't want to be on a site so far back and away from everything.

She said she would see what she could do.

She made a call, and the next thing you know, we had a new site assignment: 1711.

I like the 1700 loop.

So we took it.

And we were off.

When I got to our site, I found that we backed up to the main road. We were pretty close, actually. I went and looked at the site we were first assigned on 1800 loop. It was on the inside of the loop, right across from the sidewalk to the comfort station. I discussed this with my DD's. I thought I would like the 1800 loop site better. They disagreed. They liked the fact that 1711 backed up to the road. It would let us see all the action, and we would have plenty of space for decorations.

So, we stayed on 1711.

And, I ended up liking it fine.

So, that is two sprinklings of pixie dust already: a super quick check-in on a busy day, and a free upgrade.

The girls ran off to the Poly for lunch while I set up camp.

When they called for me to come pick them up at the marina, I was just about finished with the set-up, but I hadn't had lunch. And, I was hungry. I figured I would have some cheese and crackers to tide me over until we got our traditional first night meal.

But, as I was heading down to the marina, who did I run into but my old pal Feisty! Do y'all know Feisty? She's the nice lady from Louisiana who camps on site 114. All the time. With all the decorations. Well, she's a TCD fan. So she stops me to say hello. She asked me if I had eaten lunch yet. I told her I hadn't. She told me to hold on. I told her that I was picking up my DD's at the marina, and would be right back. So, I picked up the girls and headed back. And when I got back to Feisty's site, she handed me a plate covered with foil. She told me it was Boudin. I told her I never heard of it. She told me it was some kind of Cajun sausage made with rice. I told her thanks. And, we headed back to camp.

As soon as I got back to camp, I dug into that Boudin. And guess what? I like Boudin! Thanks Feisty!

So, there's some more pixie dust.

Crazy, isn't it?

We spent a little time looping, and squaring things away. And checking out some of the decorations already in place.

And, then it was time for our Giddyap and Go.

The GAG was great, as usual. But, the steak fries are still missing. We just got the same old fries they serve all over WDW. I am afraid the steak fries are gone for good. Too bad. But, it's still the best deal on property.

After we ate, we hung out some more, and then we headed out to the MK.

I think it was like 10 pm when we headed out.

We weren't in a rush. The MK was open until midnight. And, then it was Extra Magic Hours until 3 am. Yes I said 3 am. We have done it before, and we were going to do it again.

As expected, the MK was still a bit busy when we arrived. So we headed to Tommorrowland to visit the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor. We love the Laugh Floor. You can almost always get in with a minimal wait, and the show is always different. Fun!

And, while we were at the Laugh Floor, we got some more pixie dust . . .

Guess who got to be That Guy?:

100_0231.jpg

100_0232.jpg

That was a little surprising. They usually pick some old clueless guy to be That Guy. But for some reason they picked me!

After Laugh Floor, we rode the People Mover, and Buzz. And, we asked a castmember if they would be using Fastpasses for EMH. They do that sometimes when it is busy. Well, they were going to use Fastpasses. So, we waited around the Fastpass machine, and got Space Mountain Fastpasses right after midnight. The return time was 1:30 am.

We headed over to Fantasyland. On the way, we noticed that the tree from the Winnie the Pooh playground was now over in front of the Winnie the Pooh ride. The girls would occasionally play on this playground during EMH nights, because they would have it to themselves. We decided to check out the tree. I had always heard that there was a hidden Nautilus Submarine inside of the tree which the Imagineers had included as a tribute to the 20,000 Leagues attraction that the playground displaced. I have even looked for this sub before, but I never found it. I heard that it was over one of the doors inside the tree. It was too dark in there for me to see anything, but I snapped some photos anyway. When the flash went off, I saw a hidden mickey over one of the doors:

100_0242.jpg

100_0244.jpg

I didn't see anything when the flash went off as I took a photo of the area above the other door, but look to the right center of this photo:

100_0243.jpg

I'll be darned. There's the sub! Cool! It's kind of weird that it's there now, as the tree is no longer sitting where the 20,000 Leagues attraction used to be.

From there, we headed over to Adventureland, and rode the Jungle Cruise and Pirates, and then headed over to Frontierland for BTMRR. Along the way, we enjoyed the Christmas decorations. We especially like the Castle lights:

100_0249.jpg

100_0250.jpg

This is actually a photo of the castle's reflection in the water:

100_0251.jpg

We worked our way back to Space Mountain, where I took this self portrait:

100_0252.jpg

I shouldn't have wasted my time, because they took this photo of our group for free:

100_0255.jpg

As you can see, we had no idea that they were going to take our photo. By the way, the girls aren't throwing up gang signs. Their High School has a "U" in the name, and they call themselves the U ala the University or Miami. Kids.:confused3

I have already forgotten the exact details of what happened next, but I know we ended up back at BTMRR, which we rode until the park closed. Here are some photos of that:

100_0258.jpg

100_0261.jpg

100_0262.jpg

Here is that darned U again:

100_0263.jpg

When you stay at the MK past 3 am, you are required to stop for a photo on Main Street to document your achievement. And so we did:

100_0268.jpg

Last year, it was close to 3:30 before we headed to the boat. And we just made it. They told us we were on the last boat. I don't know what would have happened if we missed it. And, I don't want to find out from personal experience. So, we headed to the boat right after this.

We had a nice ride back with a few more troopers.

Not much was happening at the Fort when we got back.

So we called it a night.

We planned to sleep in a bit on Monday, and then head to Epcot for lunch.

Coming up, our afternoon at Epcot.

And more pixie dust!

TCD

Always love your TRs! Eagerly awaiting more. I'm heading to the fort in 7.5 days and can't wait.

Great start to the report. But I seriously doubt you will ever find me at the MK at 3am. I am an old farm boy afterall. Early to bed, early to rise.

Of course, knowing you, you were probably taking photos of Pioneer Hall by 6:30am. Right?

Man, oh man, oh man! A TCD Trip report!

Wow they were busy huh. Had'nt seen check in backed up like that

before. Glad you liked your site. Looks like TG is a good time to go

Fort'n. Please continue good sir. :thumbsup2

Always love your TRs! Eagerly awaiting more. I'm heading to the fort in 7.5 days and can't wait.

Great! You have a lot to look forward too. The Christmas decorations should be even better then.

Hello Leslie. Good to have you along for the ride.

Great start to the report. But I seriously doubt you will ever find me at the MK at 3am. I am an old farm boy afterall. Early to bed, early to rise.

Of course, knowing you, you were probably taking photos of Pioneer Hall by 6:30am. Right?

Dave- You need to try it some time. With your teenagers! It will give you big status.

I think I slept in past 6:30 on Monday. But, I do know that I was at Trail's End when it opened at 7:30 for that first cup of coffee. I have some of my Monday morning photos coming up!

Man, oh man, oh man! A TCD Trip report!

Wow they were busy huh. Had'nt seen check in backed up like that

before. Glad you like your site. Looks like TG is a good time to go

Fort'n. Please continue good sir. :thumbsup2

Yes it was busy.

In fact, the worst that I have seen.

Backed up past the guard shack!

But, not a problem. I was checked in withing 10 minutes.

I can't say the same for the rest of those poor campers who aren't TCD.

You need to take KFK to the Fort for Halloween first before you start planning for Thanksgiving.

TCD

Even though we didn't get to be until about 4 am, I was up with the sun on Monday morning.

I can't sleep in at the Fort.

I planned to take a nap in the hammock later.

I grabbed a quick shower and got out on patrol.

I had seen these folks setting up their tent on the 1800 loop late Sunday afternoon, and I made sure to get a photo this morning:

100_0270.jpg

Why, you ask?

Because this area typically fills with water when it rains.

It used to be more of a ditch, but they filled it in quite a bit in the past couple of years.

But no one told the water not to come in here when it rains.

These folks were fixing to be camped in a lake had it rained while they were there:

100_0271.jpg

They say ignorance is bliss. And so it was for these lucky campers. It did rain a bit on Monday, but not enough to cause any water run off.

Good for them.

Bad for me wanting a photo for the TCD Real Man of Genius Award.

Since it didn't rain, they were removed from the nominations list.

I'm sure they had no idea.

I liked this Mickey lamp post on the 1800 loop, along with the Fall decorations:

100_0272.jpg

Here is another example of someone setting up a tent far from their actual campsite. It is happening all the time now:

100_0273.jpg

I have this vague recollection of a rule that said you had to have your tents set up within the pad on your site. That rule sure has gone out the window.

Big time.

This is a cool Motorhome. Check it out- it has a balcony:

100_0274.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see it in the photo, but this guy had a big comfy chair out there, and a nice flat screen TV. The only thing is, I never saw him out on the balcony. If I had that set up, I would be out there all the time. Maybe even throwing beads out to the ladies passing by. Why not?

This is just another shot of the folks with the tent in the 1800 loop drainage area:

100_0275.jpg

Here are some shots of the TCD campsite from the road:

100_0276.jpg

100_0277.jpg

These two photos were taken in front of the Meadow Trading Post:

100_0278.jpg

100_0279.jpg

Why did I take those photos you ask?

Because there were beautiful rose bushes right here back in June. See?:

FW610259.jpg

FW610260.jpg

The rose bushes aren't just cut back.

They're gone!

Boo!

Hopefully something new will be planted here in the spring.

There was some kind of work going on at the 900/1000 loop bus stop:

100_0280.jpg

There must be some new safety procedures in place or something, because look at the vests and the big sign the castmember is setting out:

100_0281.jpg

All of this for a bit of painting:

100_0282.jpg

Safety First!

Since the area may be torn down soon, I did a bit of snooping around the Fort Wilderness Pavilion. Here is a castmember only area behind the pavilion:

100_0305.jpg

100_0306.jpg

100_0307.jpg

It looks like they have a temporary AC unit set up to air condition the restrooms used for the Backyard BBQ:

100_0308.jpg

This looks like it is a meeting area for the castmembers who work the BBQ. There is a work schedule on the white board mounted on the wall:

100_0309.jpg

100_0310.jpg

From here, I decided to hightail it out to the group camping area.

Did you remember that the tee pee people start their invasion of the Fort early Thanksgiving week?

Well, I did.

And, I headed out there to see if any had arrived yet.

TCD

The TCD gang made it to the Fort for Thanksgiving, 2010.

I think it was like 10 pm when we headed out.

We weren't in a rush. The MK was open until midnight. And, then it was Extra Magic Hours until 3 am. Yes I said 3 am. We have done it before, and we were going to do it again.

I saw you! You and the girls were heading towards space mountain and we were headed to main street from tomorrowland. I turned around when I saw you and when I turned back around my family was way ahead of me. Otherwise, I would have tried to catch up to you to say hi. We stayed at POR Riverside this trip (only 2 nights) but we closed MK that night.

Sorry I missed you.

I saw you! You and the girls were heading towards space mountain and we were headed to main street from tomorrowland. I turned around when I saw you and when I turned back around my family was way ahead of me. Otherwise, I would have tried to catch up to you to say hi. We stayed at POR Riverside this trip (only 2 nights) but we closed MK that night.

Sorry I missed you.

There you go!

More pixie dust! :wizard:

A TCD sighting!

How exciting for you!

Seriously, though, I'm sorry that we didn't get to at least say hello.

Did y'all at least visit the Fort?

TCD

Thanks TCD for your trip report and pictures.
I bet you and your family have many fun times together at home and on adventures.
Your family is beautiful!!!

Boudin... You are Lucky Feisty did not give you hog head cheese to eat.:rotfl2:

I wondered if you would do a TR! We saw your campsite, but never saw you. One of your DDs was in the hammock once when we were looping. My DD7 had the camera and took a pic of your decorations (I don't know what is wrong with the child, they weren't UGA decorations!) We were in site 1207 from Fri night to Wed morning.

We thought the teepees were really cool - is it a Native American group, or a re-enactment group? I'm looking forward to more of the report and Yuri's pictures!

Great report TCD, man am I sad to have had to cancel our trip. I would have liked to have met the Legend himself! What year/model is your camper. We have an 02 Bayside that looks a lot like yours. We lost an awning in 06 at the Fort when we left for lunch and got a 3 inch downpour. looking forward to the rest of the report!

A TCD TR!

Woot!

I can't wait to see what Yuri uncovered. Maybe a shot looking down from a certain rooftop balcony at a certain hall?

I'm in!

I love to hear about the pop-up campers like ourselves getting a chance to cut to the front of a newly opened check-in line.

That Yuri. He sure does get around, doesn't he? Although he strangely can't keep up with his camera and you keep finding it. Funny, that.

I'm "ALL IN" for this trip report. Keep it going! popcorn::

Bama ED

TCD, wish I knew that was you. I say the blowup's several times. My oldest DD asked me what they were and I told her they were a sign that those people had no taste...LOL. GOOO DAWGS!!!

Once again we're excited for another great TCD trip report. You really make the most out of your trips to the fort. I don't know where you find the time to keep up with the kids, be an amazing photo journalist and take the time to explore like you do, let alone relax. Super job so far and as always looking forward to more

Love your trip report. You sound like me. DD and I do the same exact things when MK is open to 3am and ride back on the last boat. You make me sort of sad though since I cant be there for Christmas this year and I will miss it terribly. :sad1:

Can't wait for more TR and pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter