Tax Refund??

Everyone should understand the REAL purpose of the supposed summer $600 tax credit ... they are giving the money back to people later in the summer and closer to the next election ... as opposed to waiting until 2002 when the election will be a distant memory. Now everyone (like us) :smooth: gets their check, goes to Disney world to spend it (on about 1 day -- MAYBE) and talks about how great the Republicans are for returning the money to them. Then they vote. It's the latest gimic. New Jersey is one of the first states to start this.

Well, we don't have any elections coming up in NC this year so that logic doesn't apply here. Furthermore, any time Democrats, Republicans, Independents, anyone...want to give me back my hard earned money...THANK YOU! I worked too many years at Social Services and saw our money thrown around carelessly to feel any different.

No upcoming elections here in WI either! I'm happy to take any money offered, especially since the check should arrive a few weeks before our trip to WDW!

Not to quarrel, but everybody has something to vote for on election day, not necessarily a congressman, or senator, and certainly not president this time around. There are local legislators, judges and people right down to the local dog catcher. The national Republican slate helps the locals by giving money back to the people before election day.

Here in NJ, we have a gubenatorial election in addition to other local legislators. We are getting a "double whammy" this year. First the Federal money, then much closer to election time, the state gives a "real estate rebate check." Then, for those in NJ who are public workers who are retired or about to retire, there will be an increase in their pensions kicking in Nov 1. Just in time for all those NJ people to inundate WDW, thus causing NJ residents to get no discounts whatsoever.

Whatever your political affiliation, you have to love republicans sticking a few more bills in your pocket in time for vacation!

No, trust me on this one, at least in the Village I work for, there are no elections this fall. I am sure there are elections elsewhere in WI. I run the elections, so I have to know! The only thing would be if we had a referendum come up.

Perhaps the people who are not getting an advance pament and feel left out would want to consider reducing their withholding? From what I can tell, this is essentially the same thing and they are just basing it on last year's return for lack of any other measure to figure out what people might be eligible for.

In our case, though, reducing our witholding would also mean less state taxes being taken out, and I would end up having to pay in to the state at the end of the year, because the state taxes are usually right on the money for us.

Are you sure that reducing the witholding for federal would also reduce it for the state?

My and my DH's employer allows us to have different amounts withheld for state than for federal. We have had a different number of "deductions/allowances" for the state income taxes than for federal income taxes for many years. If we had the same for state as for federal, we, too, would owe the state. I always thought all employers gave you this option, but maybe they don't. We live in Minnesota - maybe Michigan is different?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter