• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tarrytown and Yonkers NY?

Beth E. (NJ)

<font color=red>Disney obsessed<br><font color=blu
Saturday I am driving my older daughter to a friend's Bat Mitzvah. I will have my 10 year old dd with me to keep me company. I have to drop the older one off at 11am in Tarrytown and pick her up at 5:15 in Yonkers.

Anyone from that area (or real familiar with that area) who could give me ideas for things to do -- places to eat? I don't want to spend a ton of money so I'm not looking for an expensive place to eat.

What's in the area to do/see also? I'm looking for things that won't bore my daughter to tears. Is there a mall in the area?

Any ideas?

Personally, I would take the Palisades and Henry Hudson Parkway into the city for lunch or to spend a couple hours at the Museum of Natural History. Traffic should be light on a Saturday and there are plenty of parking garages on the Upper West Side.

There's even a parking garage right at the museum (79th st & Central Park West).

My other favorite place to go in the area is Zabars on 80th and Broadway. You can find all kinds of gourmet food and they sell cold bags so that you can bring your goodies home safely.

Of course, I'm going through NYC withdrawal right now and am looking for any excuse for a trip down.

Tarrytown is a historic little town along the Hudson River. Its a pretty area, you just park your car and walk along the main road, there are small shops, charming little restaurants, some with outdoor seating, etc. If you're looking for a mall, you can drive into White Plains which isn't too far away which is a larger city. But Tarrytown is a pretty little town, close to Sleepy Hollow, etc., along the Hudson. http://www.hudsonriver.com/rivertowns/tarrytown.htm
I agree with the other poster tho, you can also drive right into New York City.

The White Plains Mall will keep her occupied!

I would also venture over to "The Castle" in Tarrytown for tea, if is just beautiful.

The other option would be to walk in Grennwich and have lunch there. Tons of little shops & cafes,

Have Fun!

Saturday I am driving my older daughter to a friend's Bat Mitzvah. I will have my 10 year old dd with me to keep me company. I have to drop the older one off at 11am in Tarrytown and pick her up at 5:15 in Yonkers.

Anyone from that area (or real familiar with that area) who could give me ideas for things to do -- places to eat? I don't want to spend a ton of money so I'm not looking for an expensive place to eat.

What's in the area to do/see also? I'm looking for things that won't bore my daughter to tears. Is there a mall in the area?

Any ideas?

Sleepy Hollow (of Headless Horseman fame) is right above Tarrytown. Very quaint with beautiful views of the Hudson, interesting boutiques (browsing is cheap) as well as a fascinatingly creepy old graveyard right in the middle of town (I know, Halloween was last week, but the ambiance is just too amazing to ignore, and it's quite pretty with all the fall foliage at this time). There's plenty of casual dining spots (pizza, greek diners, etc.) along and directly off Route 9 in both Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown.

Also nearby:

• NY Botanical Gardens (gorgeous place to hang out, lots of autumn activities)
  • Wave Hill (wonderful grounds with views of Hudson r., art projects for kids)
  • Hudson River Museum
  • Bronx Zoo

I agree with the poster above who mentioned the Tarrytown House "Castle" - I got married there 11 years ago!

Also nearby:
  • NY Botanical Gardens (gorgeous place to hang out, lots of autumn activities)
  • Wave Hill (wonderful grounds with views of Hudson r., art projects for kids)
  • Hudson River Museum
  • Bronx Zoo
I agree with the poster above who mentioned the Tarrytown House "Castle" - I got married there 11 years ago!

Your pictures must be magnificent!!!

Quick ride over the river (10 mins) lands you at Palasades Mall. Place is huge and tons of stuff to do

Tarrytown itself has some nice historical areas to visit. Google up Sleep Hollow for more info.

Used to work at The Tarrytown House (hotel right there in town). Great little town.

The White Plains Mall will keep her occupied!

I would also venture over to "The Castle" in Tarrytown for tea, if is just beautiful.

The other option would be to walk in Grennwich and have lunch there. Tons of little shops & cafes,

Have Fun!

I'd avoid the White Plains Mall (that's actually the old mall - pre-Galleria days - now the Galleria is the "old mall") - but The Westchester is where I think you were pointing her to go. Greenwich is a bit far off from t-town and yonkers. Downtown White Plains is most centrally located with tons of shopping and great places to eat...that'd be my recommendation.

Depending on where in Yonkers you have to pick up, it might still be the most convenient to go the Palisade's mall across the tappan zee bridge. That is super close to Tarrytown but you have to keep in mind bridge traffic when you are coming back into Westchester.

The Westchester Mall is nice too, but Palisades is bigger, has movies, more food choices and would take up more time. Plus as I said it is really easy to get to from Tarrytown. If the pick up in Yonkers is off the Thruway (87) or the Saw Mill you could easily come right over the bridge and head down that way.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

There is no way you would have enough time to go into the city, trust me. Maybe the Bronx Zoo but that can be a bit out of the way depending on where the pick up is in Yonkers. Just be aware of some major traffic that can occur on the Tappan Zee bridge, that is the only drawback to going to the Palisade's Mall. The Westchester is nice but for 4+ hours, I don't know.

I would Bring A GPS. There are so many highways around this area it can be dificult getting anywhere if you are not familiar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter