Target red card

leebee

DIS Veteran
I'm confused by all the posts about discounts and such. I have a Target Red Card. If I go to Target and buy a Disney gift card using my Red Card, will I get 5% off my purchase?

As the PP said yes though some have reported limits placed on them if trying to make a large purchase. 2 weeks ago I went to purchase 1k worth for an up coming trip and the cashier said she didn't know if they would all go through as she has had other people get denied with large purchases. I told here I had never had issues in the past with that amount so I should be fine, but I did know of others that were unable to. I was able to without issue. Though the first time I tried to purchase a few hundred dollars worth of Dis E GC's my order was cancelled. The next time I tried I only did it for 100 and it went through no issue. The next time I did it for a few hundred and didn't have an issue.

I think it might depend on how much you have purchased in the past and it builds in the amount they will let you buy with each purchase.

Can you still purchase third party GCs using Target GCs?

LAX

Can you still purchase third party GCs using Target GCs?

LAX
Nope, it's been a few years since you could use a Target gift card to buy a different gift card. That used to be our go-to for more Disney GC, especially when they had the 10% off Target gift card deals. Still, 5% off every day with the RedCard is a good deal.

better options than target red card currently available...
1 Cash App Cash card in Sam's App scan and go with Sam's boost added to cash app gets you 5% discount on the payment side plus whatever the sam's discount is. Should be 8-9% total discount on $400 purchase once daily. Note this means every 24 hours + a couple of minutes. Note also this only works in store by using scan and go. That turns your in person purchase into an online purchase. Probably works for online purchase too as that is what the boost is really meant for. However I haven't done online in a while because of previous bad experience with sam's shipping gift cards. I only do the in store with scan and go method.
2 Various chase offers. These are one time only unfortunately. You can get as little as 5% discount (cvs) or as much as 20% (best buy, staples). There are several others that can work for disney gift cards like shopdisney, office depot, etc... If you're not familiar with these, you have to activate the offers in your chase app or online before you make the purchase. The cash back will be refunded to your account in a week or two. Register your card with dosh app and you might get a few % more back. I have tested this method successfully.
3 Cash App Cash Card with walmart boost added gets you 5%. Have to shop through the cash app. This would only be better than target in that you might be able to get ecertificates. Meaning you don't have to go to target. Max discount of $50 but can be repeated every hour. Safer to try every ~65 minutes. Note I have not tested this method yet due to the sam's and chase offers being better.

If you don't have the cash app/cash card and you use disney gift cards to pay for dvc, disney vacations, disney cruise, ABD, it's worth getting the cash app and cash card just for the ability to use the boosts.

1 Cash App Cash card in Sam's App scan and go with Sam's boost added to cash app gets you 5% discount on the payment side plus whatever the sam's discount is.
Could you please explain this a little differently for me? I Googled Cash app card. Is it similar to Paypal? They send you a card linked to your bank account? Then you add this as a form of payment? How does this get you a 5% discount?

Edited: Nevermind. Found a post with instructions on it.

Last edited:
I went to Target last week and bought a few things, including a Disney gift card. It was the first time I noticed that I did NOT get 5% off the gift card with my Target Red card. Maybe the discount changed??

I went to Target last week and bought a few things, including a Disney gift card. It was the first time I noticed that I did NOT get 5% off the gift card with my Target Red card. Maybe the discount changed??
That's interesting. Can anyone else confirm this? It's not that big of a deal for me as I usually wait for a bigger discount when purchasing Disney GCs, but it's still good information to be aware of

LAX

That's interesting. Can anyone else confirm this? It's not that big of a deal for me as I usually wait for a bigger discount when purchasing Disney GCs, but it's still good information to be aware of

LAX
I purchased $1500 worth of Disney Gift Cards on Target's website today with my Target Red Card and got 5% off.

I purchased $1500 worth of Disney Gift Cards on Target's website today with my Target Red Card and got 5% off.
Thanks for your DP. Maybe it was a glitch for the other poster?

LAX

better options than target red card currently available...
1 Cash App Cash card in Sam's App scan and go with Sam's boost added to cash app gets you 5% discount on the payment side plus whatever the sam's discount is. Should be 8-9% total discount on $400 purchase once daily. Note this means every 24 hours + a couple of minutes. Note also this only works in store by using scan and go. That turns your in person purchase into an online purchase. Probably works for online purchase too as that is what the boost is really meant for. However I haven't done online in a while because of previous bad experience with sam's shipping gift cards. I only do the in store with scan and go method.
FYI, this works perfectly online. I used it back in May for thousands in gc's to pay off a Starcruiser trip. I used CashApp bonus + Sam's discount for a 9-14% discount buying e-cards. The $50 cards give the best discount at Sam's (4.04%) but you can only buy 2 at a time. I did a transaction every 24 hours for a lot of days. 😆. CashApp bonus is usually 5% but a couple times a year they will raise the bonus to 10% usually just for a couple days which can up your total discount to 14% if you have the patience.

FYI, this works perfectly online. I used it back in May for thousands in gc's to pay off a Starcruiser trip. I used CashApp bonus + Sam's discount for a 9-14% discount buying e-cards. The $50 cards give the best discount at Sam's (4.04%) but you can only buy 2 at a time. I did a transaction every 24 hours for a lot of days. 😆. CashApp bonus is usually 5% but a couple times a year they will raise the bonus to 10% usually just for a couple days which can up your total discount to 14% if you have the patience.
I applaud your dedication to getting that discount! That sounds like a lot of work to put in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter