Target Red card vs Meijer rewards for gift cards

lovedisney123

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if anyone has compared and determined which deal is better. ALSO, does Meijer rewards work for Disney Gift cards? I haven't tried yet. I also do no have a Target Red card. But I keep seeing people mention to use it to save on Disney Gift cards. So just curious if the Meijer rewards deal is just as good. I would prefer not to get a Target Red Card because I feel like the more I go to Target, the more I spend (that place is too tempting).

It depends on whether you shop regularly at Meijer or not. Meijer Mperks is running a deal now through Feb. 15 where if you buy $50 in qualifying gift cards, you get $5 off your next purchase. Disney gift cards count to earn the $5 in the promo. You can do this on up to $500 in gift cards (so earn up to $50 on future purchases).

But, you can't use the $5 off coupon on future gift card purchases - so you have to buy something else at Meijer with your rewards besides more Disney gift cards. I shop regularly at Meijer for groceries, so I just use the reward dollars in my regular grocery shopping trips. I value this as a 10% discount on Disney gift cards, plus any additional savings I get from using a credit card that earns a lot on grocery purchases. This is greater than the 5% I would earn using a Target Redcard. So, I buy Disney gift cards at Meijer all the time on this promo, but I rarely use my Redcard (which I also have) to buy Disney gift cards.

It comes down to whether you have a good use for the Meijer rewards dollars, which expire a few weeks after your gift card purchase. If you have a good use for them that are NOT gift cards, then usually Meijer will be a better deal. If you don't have anything else to buy at Meijer besides gift cards, then you will be better off getting the straight 5% off at Target, or looking for other discounts.

Good point. I spend $50+ a week at Meijer. It is the closest grocery store to us. Target is a bit more of a drive. So sounds like Meijer would be best for me. Thanks!

Good point. I spend $50+ a week at Meijer. It is the closest grocery store to us. Target is a bit more of a drive. So sounds like Meijer would be best for me. Thanks!

One plus with Target is you can purchase e-Disney gift cards. They usually arrive in your email box within 4 hours or so. This is a nice way to purchase gift cards to add to other Disney gift cards.

I also do no have a Target Red card.... I would prefer not to get a Target Red Card because I feel like the more I go to Target, the more I spend (that place is too tempting).

If you were unaware there are two kinds of Red Card's. A credit card and a debit card that is of course attached to a checking account, you might be able to attach it to a savings but I am not sure.

If you get the credit card make sure you are paying off the balance each month when you buy GC's or you are not really getting 5% off. If you use the debit it's like using your bank debit card so as long as you know what you can spend you should be ok.

Thanks! I have a Disney Rewards card, so I like getting my reward points also. I thought about the debit card. I am not sure. I have tried to cut down on cards because you can lose track of them. But that 5% is tempting!

I typically buy with Target Red Card UNLESS Meijer is running the $5 off $50. I do my grocery shopping at Meijer so when they run this promo, I buy a $500 gift card to pay towards our trip and take the $50 off groceries on my next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter