Target gc to Disney gc officially dead

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
It’s done guys. I know some here don’t follow the Disney Gift Card thread on our DIS budget board but Target GC to Disney is now dead by official Target policy and a couple members have already encountered it in store. Check this thread for the latest: https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-gift-card-deals.2941964/page-1637

I know it’s been reported multiple times before but this really does look like the end so be aware if you’re about to invest a lot in Target gc for Disney gc or if you’re sitting on a lot give it a go at trading them in for Disney asap.

I was able to switch some on Saturday with no issues. Today it wouldn't let me finish the transaction. At first I thought my gift card didn't have enough funds, but a manager confirmed the amount and told me as of Sunday you can no longer purchase a gift card with a gift card. I went home and tried online and received the message again at check out. Oh well...

I was able to switch some on Saturday with no issues. Today it wouldn't let me finish the transaction. At first I thought my gift card didn't have enough funds, but a manager confirmed the amount and told me as of Sunday you can no longer purchase a gift card with a gift card. I went home and tried online and received the message again at check out. Oh well...
Bummer. By the limited reports I see seems to have happened Sun

I am so relieved that we decided not to apply for Target Red Cards because of the whole Disney gc headache and runaround. So not worth the time, effort, and stress. Well, at least now we know. No more "does it work or doesn't it" for Target.

Such a bummer! Target GCs to buying Disney GCs was how I began my churning back in 2011. I’ve not done much target lately but sad to see that yet another way to save has been taken away.

@gottalovepluto, Thanks for reporting this. As you said, not everyone goes over to the other boards to get all the news.
So, on that note, where are people going now to buy Disney gift cards with gift cards (obviously not at Target!)??

I am so relieved that we decided not to apply for Target Red Cards because of the whole Disney gc headache and runaround. So not worth the time, effort, and stress. Well, at least now we know. No more "does it work or doesn't it" for Target.
But you can still buy them with 5% off. I never did do the buy a gift card to get a gift card mess. But the 5% off is still a good deal, when you add it all up. That hasn't changed. So the Debit card (which you don't apply for, it's just a card version of your own checking account) is still pretty worth it.

But you can still buy them with 5% off. I never did do the buy a gift card to get a gift card mess. But the 5% off is still a good deal, when you add it all up. That hasn't changed. So the Debit card (which you don't apply for, it's just a card version of your own checking account) is still pretty worth it.

We've thought about it (a lot!), but the managers at our local Target have been so difficult and unfriendly about the gift card issue (we ended up driving to a Target near DLR to process those transactions whenever we had any Target gift cards) that it just makes shopping at Target not much fun. So having a Red Card right now wouldn't be of much use. Now if those managers go away... maybe then!

We saved $500 last Month using the 10% off weekend, just using the red card to buy Disney gift cards. We worth the time.

Jack

@gottalovepluto, Thanks for reporting this. As you said, not everyone goes over to the other boards to get all the news.
So, on that note, where are people going now to buy Disney gift cards with gift cards (obviously not at Target!)??
I believe the only one left is Walmart/Sam's Club :( A few people report their Bed Bath and Beyond allows it but just as many are completely shot down there so I don't really recommend that route.

We've thought about it (a lot!), but the managers at our local Target have been so difficult and unfriendly about the gift card issue (we ended up driving to a Target near DLR to process those transactions whenever we had any Target gift cards) that it just makes shopping at Target not much fun. So having a Red Card right now wouldn't be of much use. Now if those managers go away... maybe then!

You can use it with online orders too. You get the 5% off egift cards. I haven't ordered regular gift cards. I usually pick those up at the store.

Using the RedCard to save 5% is still worth it. What I have been doing is buying the EGift cards off of Target's website and getting the 5%. They email the card to you and I just go to www.disneygiftcard.com and transfer the card over to a main card that I have, then delete the email. It's pretty easy actually and it saves you from having to go to the store or waiting for the card to come in the mail.

We’ve been taking advantage of the free gift card offers when you meet a qualifying purchase (i.e. - spend $75 on baby stuff and get a $15 gift card) for a while and storing them up to convert. The whole elimination thing is a bummer but since the free gift card for stuff you already need is pretty great, we just use the Target gift cards now to buy what we need and use our red card to buy the Disney gift card. In the end, we still get the Disney money by ‘using the bonus Target gift cards’.

Also, I checked the prices here locally and the 5% discount via Target red card is better than the discount Sams Club offers on their Disney gift cards. Not sure about Costco though...

Also, I checked the prices here locally and the 5% discount via Target red card is better than the discount Sams Club offers on their Disney gift cards. Not sure about Costco though...

Sam’s makes sense if you can get discounted or free Walmart/Sam’s GCs (from rewards programs). Otherwise the 5% at Target is better. Costco does not sell Disney GCs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter