"Tangy" Cole Slaw Recipe, not creamy?

mom2grace

DIS Veteran
I am hungry for a "tangy" cole slaw, not a creamy kind. Does anyone have a good recipe? Anyone from the Texas Hill Country and have the recipe for the slaw from The Salt Lick?! (DH thinks I'm nuts!)

Thanks,
Susan

This isn't the one you mentioned but here's my favourite cole slaw recipe (it's really tangy...I could eat the whole bowl ;) )

1 large cabbage (chopped)
1 large onion (finely chopped)
1 large green pepper (finely chopped)
1 medium Carrott (shredded)

Bring the following to a boil (stirring frequently):
2 cups vinegar
1 cup salad oil
3 cups sugar
4 tsp salt
4 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp pepper

Pour over vegetable mixture, stir & cool. Cover & put in fridge 1 or 2 days. Drain & serve.

ENJOY :D

Thas sounds yummy! I'll have to try it, with delayed gratification since it needs to sit.

Thanks!

I made the cole slaw today (actually made it yesterday and ate it today) for DD's birthday party (mostly adults). It was a big hit! I used red cabbage, DH said he wanted green cabbage, best friend said she like the red, "it's different!" Love her!

Susan

Glad you enjoyed it Susan. As I said, it's my favourite. After giving you the recipe, I went out & bought a cabbage and made one as well....we ate the whole thing last night. It's always a real hit when I make it and it's not that hard so I should do it more often. I'm glad you asked about a recipe...now I've got it on top of the my recipe pile & will probably make it more often. Have a nice week :) .

This recipe sounds really similar to one my mom makes called "9 Day Slaw" she used red cabbage, and it's great. You can make it ahead. The longer it sits, the better it gets. Dh likes the creamy kind, but I'm with you guys, I prefer tangy!

Candi

Disney Lisa, your recipe sounds yummy!!! If i were going to do this the lazy way and buy the bags of shredded cabbage, can I ask how many pounds you think a raw cabbage weighs? like 1 1/2 or 2 lbs? I'm trying to guess how many bags of shredded cabbage I'd need....Thanks

Hi Kirsten,

It's really hard to say but I would think it would be about 2 pounds. When I've used bags of shredded cabbage, I think I've used 2 & they are about a pound each. Sorry I can't be more specific but I doubt it would make that big a difference if you're off a bit...you drain the excess liquid before serving. Good Luck & Enjoy...it's yummy :)!

Thanks Lisa!! I'm going to try this for a cookout we're having in a couple of weeks. I've been looking for another side dish, and this sounds great.

I'm not sure I've ever had tangy cole slaw, but it sounds good. I'm going to have to give it a try.

Disney Lisa, my husband and I had slaw similar to yours in New Orleans years ago. He has always said that he wished I could find a recipe for it. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the recipe.

Let me know how you like it doxdogy. Reading your post makes me want some again so I think I'll make it tomorrow. Have a nice long weekend (ours was last weekend in Canada) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter