Tampa Bay area beaches

welovedisneyx4

<font color=blue>I have this sudden urge to put my
We have given up on the week long Wmsburg trip and are now considering the Tampa area for our summer vacation.

Can someone please help me w/ where the good beach areas are? Also, any medium priced motel suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't know the difference in St. Pete and Clearwater, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks, lillygator.

We had looked into Tampa before, but never made it down and I can't find my old thread.

We're flying into Tampa next week. We're staying in North Redington Beach which is in between Clearwater and St. Pete. I've heard lots of good things about the area. Plus there is Busch Gardens for the kids. Most of what I learned I looked up online. We're staying at the Doubletree Beach Resort - seems to have alot of good reviews.
Also the top US beach is right in the area - Caladesi (spelling?).

The Tradewinds Island Grand hotel on St. Pete Beach is a great place to stay on the beach especially with kids. There are many activities and 5 pools, a big water slide on the beach, a mini putt putt course, paddle boats and they have a big box of beach toys so you don't even have to bring those. This place is great and my son requests to go here every vacation.

We were there in April and a diser (Princess Michelle) recommended Honeymoon Island. It was beautiful and we saw dolphin swimming just off the beach! They have a really nice covered picnic area and a couple of walking trails. We some Ospreys in a nest. We would definitely go again!

The first time we went down to Treasure Island was in '01 for spring break. We have gone back to this area every year since except for one when we went to San Antonio.

Clearwater is about a 30 minute drive north of St Pete along the coast. The sunsets are magnificent. Dont miss going to Johns Pass and do some shopping. Just north of Johns Pass is the Candy Kitchen. It looks like a little hole in the wall but has the best ice cream and so many candies to choose from even stuff that we havent seen on the shelves in years.

This is a great area all around. Your family will enjoy it greatly. :cool1:

IMG_1784.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_8649.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for the replies!!

We bought our tickets Saturday!!!! We got a great deal on Allegiant flying out of Roanoke!! (It's really hard to get cheap fares around here w/out driving to Greensboro or Raleigh)

I will be looking at all the suggestions. We aren't even sure what we are going to do, but we are all excited.:cool1:

While you are there try to make time for Caladesi Island. Its a state park. You have to take a ferry over from Honeymoon Island State park(just north of Clearwater). It is one of my favorite places on Earth. The beach is beautiful and uncrowded.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/CaladesiIsland/

We seem to be leaning towards Treasure Island. Is that a good, safe area?

madiscrapper24, where did you stay there?

GoldenAfternoon,

Where is the Keystone Motel in relation to the ocean? (Or Gulf) The home page says something about "a shells throw" from the water--does that mean it is right on the beach or is it across the street?

Thanks!

Where did you stay? Which town was it in?

Any good restaurants, seafood or other?

I have another general question for anyone...DH and the kids like seeing animals and zoos, etc. The Lowry Park Zoo is much cheaper than Busch Gardens, but is the Zoo sufficent or is it worth the $$ for BG, mainly for the animal part? We have season passes for BG here in VA, so the rides aren't that much of a big deal for us.

I think I am really just asking if the Zoo is a nice one. Anyone been there recently?

Lowry Park Zoo is really pretty nice. If you don't care about the Bush Garden thrill rides, I would go there.

I have another general question for anyone...DH and the kids like seeing animals and zoos, etc. The Lowry Park Zoo is much cheaper than Busch Gardens, but is the Zoo sufficent or is it worth the $$ for BG, mainly for the animal part? We have season passes for BG here in VA, so the rides aren't that much of a big deal for us.

I think I am really just asking if the Zoo is a nice one. Anyone been there recently?

Lowry Park Zoo is really pretty nice. If you don't care about the Bush Garden thrill rides, I would go there.
:thumbsup2 I agree with this post. Lowry Park Zoo is very nice and it is pretty big....not as big as Busch Gardens and no thrill rides but perfect if what you're looking for is an actual zoo.

Where did you stay? Which town was it in?

Any good restaurants, seafood or other?

We stayed at the Doubletree Beach Resort in North Redington Beach (it's about a 5 minute or so drive north from St. Pete. We really loved it. It was so clean and the beach was great. I really had a good experience with all the workers too. Someone even went thru the garbage for me and found what I lost (long story).

We went to two really good rest. One was Villa Gallace. It's an italian rest. in Indian Rocks but right on Gulf Boulevard. We got italian food, seafood and steak. I'd really recommend it. Also we went to the Conch Republic - also right on Gulf Boul. but in North Redington. We had steak and seafood there. I'd really recommend this place also. First place was less casual than the Conch which was very casual.

We didn't do Lowry but we went to Busch Gardens instead. We were mostly there for the rides which I know aren't as important. But for what it's worth we really loved it there. Can't believe there was no crowds the whole day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter