Tall enough, but still not riding!

TangledHairDon'tCare

Mouseketeer
My 4yo dd (almost 5 then) will most likely be over 44” by our Sept trip and tall enough for FOP, Everest and Space. I’m not worried about FOP or Everest much, but I’m nervous about her riding Space! I think because I won’t be sitting next to her and won’t be able to see her either. My DH thinks I’m nuts of course, but I don’t think I feel comfortable letting her ride that one. Anybody else get nervous about letting their kids ride anything, even when they’re tall enough?

She loved BTMR, SDD and SDMT on our last trip so I know if I ask her she will say yes!

DD went for her 3yo appointment yesterday and is over 40" She will be tall enough for ToT next trip but won't be taking her on.

Nope - I assume Disney is very conservative with their height requirements to avoid legal issues. I remember when our oldest was 3 and begged to do ToT... we didn’t have a FP so we waited way to long but she loved it. Space is great because you’re right behind them and with the personal lap bar it’s a good fit.

That said, you’re the parent and you do what makes you comfortable :)

DD went for her 3yo appointment yesterday and is over 40" She will be tall enough for ToT next trip but won't be taking her on.
We took her on that in November and she didn’t really like it but it really freaked DH out how much she was airborne! I wish I had the ride photo on my phone because it’s us holding her down! Lol

Honestly I don’t think I’ll have DD6 ride space mountain. She loves roller coasters but that one I agree I can’t sit with her so I’m just not sure how she will handle it. Plus it’s in the dark and if she gets scared I can’t be there with her. That said, we are probably just skipping it entirely. My sister who is going with us doesn’t like that one so I’ll just wait for another trip to let her try it. Plus it give us something new with her to do on another trip. Of course if she knew we were keeping her from a roller coaster she would probably have a different opinion. She loves BTMRR and last time rode it 3x in a row! I’m probably just over protective of the child. :upsidedow

My daughter hated Space. She’s very sensitive though. She’s 12 now and still won’t ride. Two rides I don’t even try with her are ToT and Dinosaur because I know she’ll hate them. She won’t ride EE, TT or RnR. Maybe someday. She will ride Minetrain.

You should absolutely do what you feel comfortable with. I will say that in all honesty I agree with your DH. What are you actually worried about? She may not enjoy the ride, but she isn't going to get hurt. If she wants to experience it, let her. We made our kids try all the rides once they were tall enough. WDW has so many experiences, you'll never know which ones they will or won't like unless you try.

Our youngest was about that age one trip and just tall enough for Space. I felt the same as you. We simply avoided it that trip. We knew we would be back before too long and he didn’t even know it existed.

Nope - I assume Disney is very conservative with their height requirements to avoid legal issues. I remember when our oldest was 3 and begged to do ToT... we didn’t have a FP so we waited way to long but she loved it. Space is great because you’re right behind them and with the personal lap bar it’s a good fit.

That said, you’re the parent and you do what makes you comfortable :)
I'm not concerned because of safety as much as DHS is our first park and I am afraid we will scare her with ToT. We are going back our last day too though so if she wanted to go on it I wouldn't say no, but she doesn't know anything about it.

She rode 7DMT at 2 and was a little freaked for awhile lol

I'm not concerned because of safety as much as DHS is our first park and I am afraid we will scare her with ToT. We are going back our last day too though so if she wanted to go on it I wouldn't say no, but she doesn't know anything about it.

She rode 7DMT at 2 and was a little freaked for awhile lol

Totally - some kids like the thrill and others don’t just, like adults :)

We just got back a week ago. Our 4 year old is 45 inches tall but I didn't take her on tower of terror or space mountain.We road slinky dog, 7dmt, and big thunder mountain but I didn't feel she was ready. She held onto my arm on all the other rides. I took her older sister on both but she is 8.

I guess I don’t know what I’m afraid of. She loves roller coasters so it’s not that, but she’s not a fan of the dark. I don’t know, maybe I’ll have to just let her ride it!

My 4yo dd (almost 5 then) will most likely be over 44” by our Sept trip and tall enough for FOP, Everest and Space. I’m not worried about FOP or Everest much, but I’m nervous about her riding Space! I think because I won’t be sitting next to her and won’t be able to see her either. My DH thinks I’m nuts of course, but I don’t think I feel comfortable letting her ride that one. Anybody else get nervous about letting their kids ride anything, even when they’re tall enough?

She loved BTMR, SDD and SDMT on our last trip so I know if I ask her she will say yes!
I’m just envious that your almost 5 yr old will go on those rides. My daughter is 13 & hates the thrill rides. She even doesn’t like Splash Mountain, which I don’t even consider a thrill ride. My husband couldn’t wait till she was old enough & tall enough to go on those rides but we just can’t even to get her to try. As far as getting nervous for her, go with your gut.

I’m just envious that your almost 5 yr old will go on those rides. My daughter is 13 & hates the thrill rides. She even doesn’t like Splash Mountain, which I don’t even consider a thrill ride. My husband couldn’t wait till she was old enough & tall enough to go on those rides but we just can’t even to get her to try. As far as getting nervous for her, go with your gut.
It’s a funny story actually, we took her for her 4th birthday in Nov and I didn’t plan on taking her on anything big. We were near BTMR and it had a short wait so we decided to try it thinking she might be too scared once we got up there but instead she was putting her arms in the air on the first drop! I couldn’t stop laughing.

I had overlooked that part of your posts...If she rode BTMRR and loved it, my inclination is that she'd love Space. They have similarities in that they're both (relatively) slow coasters with lots of jerky motions. IMO, Space is sort of like a cross between a "wild mouse" ride and BTMRR, just in the dark.

My 4 1/2 year daughter made in through green mission. She enjoyed it for a bit but didn't like "emergency" part and got a little tearful but the green side is very tame, motion wise. We won't be doing that ride again(which is fine with me, I didn't care for being shut in like that). No way heck I'd put any child under 16 on the orange side.

My daughter LOVES roller coasters. SDD and 7DMT are her favorite rides in the parks.

I’d let my kid try anything he’s tall enough for.

He was almost 3 on our last trip and begged to ride SDD and 7DMT. I didn’t really think he’d like them, but I knew he would be safe. (Spoiler alert: I was right.)

The only thrill ride I haven’t done at Disney is ToT and I’m secretly hoping he never asks to go on that one because I really don’t want to ride it!!!

I had overlooked that part of your posts...If she rode BTMRR and loved it, my inclination is that she'd love Space. They have similarities in that they're both (relatively) slow coasters with lots of jerky motions. IMO, Space is sort of like a cross between a "wild mouse" ride and BTMRR, just in the dark.
I have no doubt that she would want to ride it, its all my fear really. On the other rides, I can see her and have my hands on her, but not with Space. That's the part that scares me. I know its not rational, but its just how I'm feeling!

My 4 1/2 year daughter made in through green mission. She enjoyed it for a bit but didn't like "emergency" part and got a little tearful but the green side is very tame, motion wise. We won't be doing that ride again(which is fine with me, I didn't care for being shut in like that). No way heck I'd put any child under 16 on the orange side.

My daughter LOVES roller coasters. SDD and 7DMT are her favorite rides in the parks.
She was really into MS green, she took it so seriously! She will not be riding orange for quite some time. I almost passed out after being pressured by DH to ride it. I've never been so sick on a ride.

I would let her ride if she expresses that she wants to. It is totally safe. Let her make the decision and have that control. Sounds like she likes thrill rides already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter