• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tall 2 year old question

Cmeller

Earning My Ears
We are heading to Disney in the middle of June and our 2 year old daughter (who will turn 3 a week after we return) is 40 inches. I would love to take her on thunder mountain if she is up for it, she is very adventurous. I wasn't sure if the height restriction was independent of age or if you need to be at least three (have a ticket)? Does anyone know what the official policy is for ride restrictions?

Thanks.

Age makes no difference. As long as she measures high enough AT the actual ride itself, she'll be allowed on. If she's close to that height, you can expect her to be measured TWICE at each and every ride she goes to that has similar restrictions. They are strict, and "tall" shoes or hair won't cut the mustard. She may be allowed on at one ride, and not at another, and you'll have to be OK w/ the CMs decision.
Good luck.

Adventurous or not, BTMRR is a bit rough for a 2-3 year old. My kid used to bump her head on it when she was small. Have you taken your toddler on Goofy Barnstormer?

The first time we went, my daughter was 2.5 and very tall. She too is adventurous. She loved, I mean LOVED big thunder mountain!!! My 3.5 year old hated it. She is scared of many rides.

We went weekend of March 3, 2012, granddaughter was 4 weeks shy of 3, she was 41.5" we took her on BTMR, Splash, Soarin' and Test Track. She loved them all. BTMR can be a little rough just make sure you are on the right side of the ride and that will help and just hold onto her. She will be tall enough for Dinosaur but I advised against it. It's loud, very jerky, dark, and a bit scary. I'm 46 and I don't like it lol

Thanks to everyone who replied. I saw on one website that star tours and test track require 40 inches and age of 3? Does anyone know if this is true or is it just the 40 inch restriction?

My twins have always been at the 100% for their height and we have never been questioned. Don't worry about it.

My daughter was 2 when she rode this (she is very tall) and she LOVED it. I think it just depends on the child. Good luck and have fun!

Definitely give it a try, as others mentioned it really depends on the child.

First time we took DS#1 on BTMR he was 3 - he generally liked it, but HATED the part on the 2nd hill, where it looks like the rocks are going to fall on you (they've since done away with that special effect). Our boys are now 9 and 7 and BTMR is definitely now a highlight at MK for them.

We took my 3yo on it. They never questioned age just height. She loves BTMR only if my arm is around her because then she "feels safe." As for the Dinosaur ride, that depends on the child. My 3yo loved it. She says its fine because dinosaurs aren't real. My 7yo rode it but with her head down because it was scary to her.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I saw on one website that star tours and test track require 40 inches and age of 3? Does anyone know if this is true or is it just the 40 inch restriction?

What website? There have been reports of an age limit on Malestrom (I think I saw a sign years ago, but right now there is NOT one) but never for those two rides.

You may just be reading some reviewer with the advice that they are not appropriate for under 3 but Disney doesn't have a rule or even a suggestion.

Now you can come back and ask as for advice on if your kid will like it or be scared but only you know your kid. :thumbsup2

My DN3 at the time was just over 40 inches and loved all the 40 inch rides. TOT was her favorite, but she is a daredevil. I was at Kennywood with her (now DN7) just yesterday and she rode all the 48" rides including the Skycoaster with a 150 foot drop swinging on a cable (rode for the last 2 or 3 years) and the hypercoaster the Phantom's Revenge with a 200 foot drop and top speed of 85 mph.

I would think it would be ok to take her on even before she is officially 3 since she would make the height. Maybe show her the youtube video first so you know if she would want to go on or if she would think it's too scary for her. I have the opposite problem, my dd is 7.5 y/o and is only 45in, when we went last she was 5 and didn't make height for a few rides, some she was let on and others not depending on the measurement at each ride and the cm there.

Cant verify for Star Tours but with Soarin it was Just 40" requirement, age was never asked.

No age requirements on any rides, just height requirements.

There are only age requirements on some interactive experiences, e.g. Jedi Training, BBB. Plus of course the ticket prices depend on age.

:)

As others have said, there is a height restriction, but no age restriction.

Here is my experience with BTMRR though. All three of my kids are tall. My girls both went on when they were 3-1/2 yrs old and did fine. However, my son went on just after turning 3 and even though he was well over the 40 in height requirement, I felt that it really bounced his head around. He liked it, but to me it seemed like he didn't have the neck support that my other two had on their first ride on it. It really seemed like that extra 6 months made a big difference in neck strength and in hindsight, I would not have put him on it that trip if I had realized. It is a very jerky ride for their little neck/head to handle and I regretted putting him on it afterwards.

In the end, you need to decide what works for your child, but wanted to share my experience!

My son is tall. We took him last August, two weeks before his third birthday. He LOVED BTMRR, Soarin, and Star Tours. I haven't heard about an age requirement for Star Tours, and we weren't asked. He was tall enough for ToT but I still haven't let him ride that. I didn't think he was old enough to understand the drop. You just have to take your child on what you think she can handle and understand. We are planning a trip for this OCtober and our DS who is 3 currently (will just turn 4 for this trip) will most likely be 44 inches, as he's currently 43 inches. I plan on letting him try ToT and Space Mountain if he wants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter