Talkin' 'Bout My Generation

My father was born in '53 and my mother in '60. I certainly thought of them as Boomers. I was born in '81, my wife in '84. I hate it when people call me a millenial. To me the millenial generation grew up with cell phones, helicopter parents and the internet. None of those things were true for me. My wife got a cell phone her senior year in high school. No one in my high school had one, we still had pagers and payphones. Internet was dial up AOL, if you had it at all. At the very least I wouldn't include those that were adults at the turn of the millenia as millenials. Y2K I was working a full time job and paying a mortgage.
That all sounds very millennial to me (born '87). I didn't get a cell phone until late in my senior year of high school, we had dial up AOL most of my childhood (once we got internet at all). Gen Z has grown up with cell phones and internet, not millennials.

I love generational discussions!!

First, Gen-X rocks!

I love the memes that have Gen X just sitting back w/ a drink in hand watching the Boomers & the Millennials duking it out.

(And, as an anecdotal note, I usually find myself equally irritated by both Boomers & Millennials when out & about, but for completely different reasons.)

Both my husband & I were born in 1973 - right in the middle of Gen X - and we fit most of the stereotypes… See my “anecdotal note“ above... as the original ”latchkey” generation, since we were ignored our whole lives & basically raised ourselves, we learned survival skills & how to be pretty independent, &, now, we just want to be left alone w/ sarcasm & “reality bites” as our SOP.

When all the other generations are done & gone, Gen X will still be standing. We’re the survivors. We’re the Red Dawn generation.

Because of how we were raised, we’re very adaptable. Besides the memes above I mentioned where Gen-X is just sitting back watching the world burn, I also enjoyed the various memes & reading articles on how & why Gen-X handled the pandemic lockdowns better than the other generations.

When it comes to our parents’ generations, my husband’s parents were on the tail end of the Silent Generation (1939 & 1944) while my parents were early Boomers (born in 1947), & I can see slight differences in them - and there were slight differences in how my husband & I were raised - which begs the questIon - are we more the products of how we were raised or more the products of how society was during our formative years?

And, when it comes to personal generational observations, the BIGGEST differences I‘ve seen are between the early Boomers, like my parents born in 1947, & the late Boomers like my brother-in-law born in 1964. My brother-in-law, born in ‘64, is right on the cusp between the Baby Boomers & Generation X - and he’s more Boomer than Gen X, but, still, he’s like a completely different generation than my parents born in 1947.

And, while Boomers hate on Millennials, I see a lot of similarities in the Boomers & Millennials & a lot of similarities in Gen-X-ers & Gen-Z-ers - w/ society playing a part in how each developed.

An interesting note - Early Boomers raised most of the Gen-X-ers while Late Boomers raised most of the Millennials.

My husband & I are Gen-X & have 3 Gen-Z-er kids.

Last edited:
Both my husband & I were born in 1973 - right in the middle of Gen X - and we fit most of the stereotypes… See my “anecdotal note“ above... as the original ”latchkey” generation, since we were ignored our whole lives & basically raised ourselves, we learned survival skills & how to be pretty independent, &, now, we just want to be left alone w/ sarcasm & “reality bites” as our SOP.
I was born in the 60’s and also love being Gen. X.
I had the best childhood ever! And yes, ignored, but in a good way. Lol.
My older Boomer siblings had a much different childhood then me.
It was super fun being a kid in the 70’s and a teen in the 80’s. I feel very fortunate. :)

I was born in the 60’s and also love being Gen. X.
I had the best childhood ever! And yes, ignored, but in a good way. Lol.
My older Boomer siblings had a much different childhood then me.
It was super fun being a kid in the 70’s and a teen in the 80’s. I feel very fortunate. :)
The 70s and 80s were hands down the best decades to grow up in!
Great music, after school TV, riding bikes to get somewhere, arcades, the mall, MTV, Atari, etc. etc. etc.

My parents were the Greatest Generation who had a bunch of Boomers and one late baby Gen X (me). Then I have one Gen Y and three Gen Zs. So my 16 yo dd’s grandfather (my Dad) fought in WWII and her great grandfather (dh’s side) fought in the Korean War. My in-laws are the same Boomer generation as my siblings. I do not identify with Boomers.

As someone born in 1981, I think generational classifications/cutoffs are stupid. :laughing: I dislike being identified as a full-on Millennial and prefer to be called a "Xennial" (a real thing, look it up) because NO WAY did someone born in the early 80s have the same growing up experience as someone who wasn't born until 1995. SO much changed in such a short period of time as computer (mostly internet) technology started advancing like rapid-fire. The internet didn't even really become a thing that people were actually using until I was almost out of high school (When I was a senior, we had a new class called Internet Skills, which taught things like what a URL is and how to do searches on Lycos, LOL) but you want to tell me I grew up the same way as someone who doesn't even remember living in a time without internet? I think I read somewhere that the people who defined what a Millennial is and what years it applies to were mostly basing it on when home computer technology became "available" (80s) rather than thinking more practically about when a large percentage of people really-for-real started having them in their homes as a useful device rather than just being a novelty for nerds.;)

Another thing that annoys me is the very term "Millennial", because it sounds like it should apply to someone who was born at the tail end of the 90s/into the 2000s. So much so that when the term first popped up, a lot of people would rant about Millennials and their characteristics, but would actually be talking about kids in their late teens or early twenties.

I am firmly an X and it lot made sense when I realized it. Born in 63 I used to hear I was the last of the Boomers, but I never felt like that fit. The vast horde had long moved through the landscape before we arrived to the barren leftovers. The timing has seemed off my entire life.

Dh was born in 1981 and I was born in 1982. I feel like we don’t identify with millennials at all. I tend to even forget that our years fall in that period. We have more of a generation x childhood. I agree with @Diznygrl about being a “xennial”.

Last edited:
As a Gen X, this made me want to fight someone when I read it :rotfl2:

• The Baby Boomer Generation – born 1946-1969.. Middle age to nearly dead.
  • Generation X – born 1970-1993.. Middle age and younger
  • Millennials – born 1994-2017.. Which should make "MIlls" the current leaders and shakers.
  • Generation Z – born 2018-2041.. At most right now should be no more than 5 years old.
  • Gen Alpha – doesn't even become a thing until 2042.

I think there is a geographical element, too. The big cities on the coast are 5-10 years different from the so called "fly-over" states.

I grew up in small city in rural south. After I married, parents retired and moved to a farm to finish raising my brothers. I raised my kids in suburbs of major East Coast City, brothers' kids were raised on the farm. Their whole ways of thinking, working, education levels are as different as night and day. Now all the kids have kids and again, major differences in occupation, work styles, child raising, faith expression. One example, a nephew who is LGBTQ+ is basically ostracized from rural southern family. My kids and grands welcome him without a blink of the eye.

The whole "generations" thing wears me out. One constantly hears "don't label me," "don't judge me," "I'm an individual" and all that, but then they happily paint decades full of people by their age/generation. I mean... who cares???

70s and 80s music wins.
50's and 60's...

Electric guitar
45's records, 8 tracks, cassettes
Rhythm and blues
Rock and Roll
Doo wop
Elvis
American Bandstand
Motown
Dylan
Beatles, Stones, and all the other British Invasion
Monterey Pop/ Woodstock

...and so many others

:cool2:

50's and 60's...

Electric guitar
45's records, 8 tracks, cassettes
Rhythm and blues
Rock and Roll
Doo wop
Elvis
American Bandstand
Motown
Dylan
Beatles, Stones, and all the other British Invasion
Monterey Pop/ Woodstock

...and so many others

:cool2:
The 60s has great music, most of the 50s not so much...

This is a darker way of grouping it, but:

Gen Z does not remember 9/11 or was born after
Millennials remember 9/11 but were still in school, whether that's elementary, middle, or high school
Gen X were young adults when it happened, living on their own but not having kids yet
Boomers had families with varying children ages by the time it happened
Greatest Generation were grandparents at the time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter