Talk to me about motel noise

Noise wise, it's fine. Price wise, you might as well flush your money down the toilet. You don't get your money's worth at ALL at that hotel.

lol I know, this is what I've heard.

The Westin is not that much more for what I've booked but not sure about the distance.

A few years ago we went to DL Parks and stayed onsite and had about a 15 min walk to the park. It wasn't horrible, but would have been nice to be closer.

lol I know, this is what I've heard.

The Westin is not that much more for what I've booked but not sure about the distance.

A few years ago we went to DL Parks and stayed onsite and had about a 15 min walk to the park. It wasn't horrible, but would have been nice to be closer.

Book the Westin. It's literally a block from PPH. The walk from Westin is probably 15-20 min depending on pace.

If that's too long, literally get an Uber to drop you at the Harbor entrance. It will cost like $5.

I agree with the Westin, definitely over PPH unless they bring back some kind of perks of being on site and reopen some dining in that hotel... and maybe not even then. I found the walk didn't feel too terrible since it was through DTD (though the construction now at the west end might change that a bit) and I really liked not having to go through Harbor security.

The hotel itself is beautiful and very quiet.

I agree with the Westin, definitely over PPH unless they bring back some kind of perks of being on site and reopen some dining in that hotel... and maybe not even then. I found the walk didn't feel too terrible since it was through DTD (though the construction now at the west end might change that a bit) and I really liked not having to go through Harbor security.

The hotel itself is beautiful and very quiet.

Yeah the lack of onsite benefits at the same price as before is ridiculous.

Two words: ear plugs.

I’m also a very light sleeper. Several years ago I started experimenting with different brands because A. DH snores and B. I never sleep well in a new place the first night, esp when it’s noisy. I suggest you get used to using them well before your trip. Try different kinds for a good fit, because they do take some getting used to. But once you you do, and you’re putting them in correctly, the difference in sleep quality is amazing. I now wear them almost all the time. When our cats decide to serenade us outside our bedroom door at 2 am, I don’t hear it. And I’ve found on trips, that as long as the bed is comfy, once I have my ear plugs in, it feels very familiar and comfortable to me and I can fall asleep much more easily. I stayed at BWPPI last September, the room right behind the office, and it was super noisy from passers-by. But once I put my ear plugs in I couldn’t hear a thing.

There are several kinds; I use soft foam ear plugs. There are smaller ones for kids or if you have small ear canals, different densities of foam- the very dense industrial type hurt my ears, but softer ones don’t. Don’t wear a pair more than a few times, so they are clean and spring back correctly.

One of my DDs can’t get used to them, but she does all right with a small fan (sometimes the hotels have ones you can use) or a white noise app or machine.

When I have stayed in hotels the worst thing for me is never getting any rest because every time I try to sleep I wake up to thumping noises and when I hear thumping it reminds me of dinosaurs stomping the earth. Another thing I dislike is having to have another door in your room next to yours and you hear your neighbor snoring that echoes the whole room. I witnessed this when Mom and I tried to sleep and we couldn't because our neighbor was breathing loud and snoring and for one minute I thought Darth Vader was next to us. Hotels should have a quiet time like hospitals do with patients so guests can get some sleep without being disturbed because you go to a hotel for a comfortable rest in a comfortable bed not to be disturbed by stomping and snoring and a quiet time would work for hotels

Two words: ear plugs.

I’m also a very light sleeper. Several years ago I started experimenting with different brands because A. DH snores and B. I never sleep well in a new place the first night, esp when it’s noisy. I suggest you get used to using them well before your trip. Try different kinds for a good fit, because they do take some getting used to. But once you you do, and you’re putting them in correctly, the difference in sleep quality is amazing. I now wear them almost all the time. When our cats decide to serenade us outside our bedroom door at 2 am, I don’t hear it. And I’ve found on trips, that as long as the bed is comfy, once I have my ear plugs in, it feels very familiar and comfortable to me and I can fall asleep much more easily. I stayed at BWPPI last September, the room right behind the office, and it was super noisy from passers-by. But once I put my ear plugs in I couldn’t hear a thing.

There are several kinds; I use soft foam ear plugs. There are smaller ones for kids or if you have small ear canals, different densities of foam- the very dense industrial type hurt my ears, but softer ones don’t. Don’t wear a pair more than a few times, so they are clean and spring back correctly.

One of my DDs can’t get used to them, but she does all right with a small fan (sometimes the hotels have ones you can use) or a white noise app or machine.

Do you ever worry about not being able to hear fire alarms/distress calls? I used earplugs when I’d sleep during the day (after night shifts) but I was always uneasy with them, especially if my family left the house midday without me. That worry almost overrode all the benefit I got from using them, so I ended up switching to a white noise machine instead.

Hotels should have a quiet time like hospitals do with patients so guests can get some sleep without being disturbed because you go to a hotel for a comfortable rest in a comfortable bed not to be disturbed by stomping and snoring and a quiet time would work for hotels

Ok, “stomping” I can see limiting.

But snoring is a bodily function that in many cases cannot be helped. How are they going to control that???

(And FWIW, I have had more noise from NON-connecting rooms than I ever have connecting rooms.)

When I have stayed in hotels the worst thing for me is never getting any rest because every time I try to sleep I wake up to thumping noises and when I hear thumping it reminds me of dinosaurs stomping the earth. Another thing I dislike is having to have another door in your room next to yours and you hear your neighbor snoring that echoes the whole room. I witnessed this when Mom and I tried to sleep and we couldn't because our neighbor was breathing loud and snoring and for one minute I thought Darth Vader was next to us. Hotels should have a quiet time like hospitals do with patients so guests can get some sleep without being disturbed because you go to a hotel for a comfortable rest in a comfortable bed not to be disturbed by stomping and snoring and a quiet time would work for hotels

No, they wouldn't. Maybe quiet time for excessive noise, but given that your examples include snoring and breathing loudly, there is no way your idea would work.

Do you ever worry about not being able to hear fire alarms/distress calls? I used earplugs when I’d sleep during the day (after night shifts) but I was always uneasy with them, especially if my family left the house midday without me. That worry almost overrode all the benefit I got from using them, so I ended up switching to a white noise machine instead.
No, I can hear something loud like that. If the power goes out at our house, our fire alarm chirps briefly, and I can hear that. It’s just that most normal noise is reduced to sort of a background, faint murmur. Where I’d startle awake if someone overhead was stomping around, with the earplugs it’s faint or nonexistent.
ETA: also I wear a Fitbit, and it vibrates if I’m getting a call, or if I’ve set an alarm, and that gives me peace of mind that I wouldn’t miss an important call at night.

No, I can hear something loud like that. If the power goes out at our house, our fire alarm chirps briefly, and I can hear that. It’s just that most normal noise is reduced to sort of a background, faint murmur. Where I’d startle awake if someone overhead was stomping around, with the earplugs it’s faint or nonexistent.
ETA: also I wear a Fitbit, and it vibrates if I’m getting a call, or if I’ve set an alarm, and that gives me peace of mind that I wouldn’t miss an important call at night.

Oh good -- I actually have not tested the fire alarms with ear plugs in, but I feel like the combination of ears plugged + deep sleep might not roust me in time. I also wear an Apple Watch to sleep as my alarm, but it took some finessing of the notifications to avoid text messages, DIS board emails (hah!), and other distractions.

I've been wearing Leight Sleepers earplugs for over 20 years. I have successfully raised 2 kids to ages 15 and 17 so far, and have always heard what needed to be heard at night. I cannot fall asleep unless there is dead silence. Earplugs help to primarily block low frequency sounds, but they still allow you to hear sudden loud noises or high frequency sounds, as well as someone talking to you. I have photos of me holding my newborn baby, asleep on my glider with earplugs in. I have always woken up when my babies cried and when they got older, walked into my bedroom saying "mommy." I've never slept through an alarm. I hear all that stuff.

The earplugs drown out the sound of our fan so I can actually get to sleep. Yes, I'm such a light sleeper that even white noise keeps me awake.

I’m a light sleeper so I’m second guessing staying at the BW Park Place Inn. I imagine all the motel style places are going to be noisy. I’m starting to think I might want to book an actual hotel and walking a bit further isn’t a big deal.

So what do you think about the noise at BWPPI? What hotels in the area would you suggest if we truly wanted quiet?

I don't remember noise at BWPPI but I was on the Outside of the building and towards the back. But I'm not bothered by noise so unless it was something really loud I might not have noticed.

I did have an incident where I slept through a fire alarm when staying in a hostel. I was in a room by myself with ear plugs in and was shocked the next day when everyone was talking about being woken up and evacuated at 3 am. I slept through the whole thing (and there was an actual fire in planter not that far from my room.

It was an older building and I'm not sure where the alarm was in proximity to my room or how loud it was. But now when I'm in a hotel room alone I don't use my ear plugs or only put one in. And I think a lot more about hotel safety in general!

I've been wearing Leight Sleepers earplugs for over 20 years. I have successfully raised 2 kids to ages 15 and 17 so far, and have always heard what needed to be heard at night. I cannot fall asleep unless there is dead silence. Earplugs help to primarily block low frequency sounds, but they still allow you to hear sudden loud noises or high frequency sounds, as well as someone talking to you. I have photos of me holding my newborn baby, asleep on my glider with earplugs in. I have always woken up when my babies cried and when they got older, walked into my bedroom saying "mommy." I've never slept through an alarm. I hear all that stuff.

The earplugs drown out the sound of our fan so I can actually get to sleep. Yes, I'm such a light sleeper that even white noise keeps me awake.

I really think I'm at the point where I need to start looking into using those on occassions like this. The older I get the harder it is to sleep.

There’s a cheap/free solution to this. Download a white noise app to your phone. Then go to sleep to your favorite white noise. We do this all the time. It’s very effective.

There’s a cheap/free solution to this. Download a white noise app to your phone. Then go to sleep to your favorite white noise. We do this all the time. It’s very effective.
It really helps. The white noise apps used to cycle (where there's a pause in the recording, so it can repeat the loop), so I couldn't use them because the pause in the noise would wake me up. So I had to travel with a white noise machine (always a fun time at TSA... they think it's a bomb... that you plug in... lol). But, these days they've improved some of the apps to exclude the looping! Yay!

The best sleep I've ever had at a hotel was at the Disneyland Hotel. I fell right to sleep and slept all night, which is unheard of for me at a hotel. I usually wake up 5-6 times a night, especially the first few nights in a new place. I consider myself lucky if I get 3 hours of solid sleep at hotels.

When we stayed at Hojo the noise wasn't bad. We were in building 2, in a back corner so we didn't hear the highway.

I don't remember the noise being especially bad at Candy Cane Inn, except a few times when people walked by with their rolling luggage or if they were talking right outside our room. I didn't like the slats in the blinds there, though, because I like it very dark.

Last time we stayed at Hyatt House and it was quiet at night. That was about a 20 minute walk for us.

I'm looking at the Courtyard Marriott or Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn for our split stay in May. The rest of the nights we'll be back at DLH.

I've started bringing a small fan with me when I travel, or buying one when I arrive. I like them better than a white noise machine because all the ones I've used have a timer, and when they turn off it wakes me up and I have to start all over again. I've tried using earplugs but I don't really like wearing them.

So....I reserved the Fairfield by Marriott which is just down the road from that BWPPI and also a motel style property. To add insult to injury, it's $300+taxes per night for our dates, which just seems ridiculous! The Courtyard next door was $400+ per night and is now sold out now. I REALLY want that location though because not only is it super close to the main entrance, but there's a Panera Bread and a McDonald's right beside the motel's parking lot. The convenience is just too critical!

I would keep checking the Marriott site daily. When I booked Courtyard Marriott for my last trip they were sold out at first, but rooms popped up when people cancel. I booked that huge suite with a king bed, second bedroom with 2 bunk beds, and a big living room area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter