• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Talk to me about longer stays

ClapYourHands

DIS Veteran
We’ve been to UO once for 4 days. We had EP, and found that we got through everything we wanted to do at least once in the first two days, and still had time to spare for the pool. We spent the last two days re-riding our favorites and getting in some pool time.

We are now booked for 6 days in August, and I’m wondering how best to fill that time or if it’s too much. The current plan is for a split stay with RPR and CBBR. So we will have pool hopping ability and EE the whole time, but only have EP on 2 or possibly 3 of the days. We didn’t care for VB last trip, so not getting tix for that this time.

We are hoping to get a chance to ride Hagrid’s coaster daily, but we’re pretty flexible in the rest. We will not have a car, but are open to going offsite via Uber or I think I read you can catch the I Drive trolly near the new ES resort, but don’t know what’s worth seeing. I’m trying to keep this a semi-budget trip, so not looking for things that would add a lot of cost; RPR is my splurge for the EP.

Travelers are me and my two boys, 10 and 12.

Suggestions welcome!

ETA -ideally I’d like to find things to do on property that are free or low cost. I know we can visit other pools. Are there other activities or amenities I could explore at the resorts?

Last edited:
There are things to do on I-Drive for kids, they would all be extra costs.

The Orlando Eye is there with a sealife centre and Madame Tussauds. We have only done the Eye there and it is good to see for miles around.

There`s also Andretti`s Indoor Karting further down closer to the Convention Centre on Universal Blvd. They have so much more than Karting. Bowling and seemingly endless games. We went in December and loved it and I think boys that age would be able to spend all day there! I know my husband and son would have been there all day if I had agreed.

What sort of things do they like?

Mini golf courses are down there too, but there are two fabulous mini golf courses at Citywalk. I have no idea of prices for outside mini golf.

Escape rooms??

There`s a chocolate museum and cafe further down I-Drive too. Never been to that one as I don`t like chocolate very much.

We do always have longer trips, but we always have a car and wander offsite a lot, but, I doubt what we do would interest your kids much.....lol....it`s been a long time since my son was that age!

Maybe someone with kids that age knows of anywhere that they may enjoy too. There are things that are further afield, but maybe a little too far.

We're struggling with the same right now. On our typical trips, we'll do 7 days at WDW and 3 at Universal which is perfect for us. There have been times when we've done 4 days at Universal and as two adults who don't drink much, we lacked for things to do at times after we've had our fill of the parks. Swimming/pool hopping is always an option, and mini golf and the movie theater are there too, although I'm not sure if they've re-opened yet or what the plan is for them.

We're booked for 3 days at Universal and 7 at WDW in October, and considering canceling WDW and extending Universal by a couple days. We would plan to Uber to Disney Springs one day to get our fill of something Disney, plus they have great dining options. We're also throwing around the idea of renting a car for a day to go to Cocoa Beach. Or possibly staying 3-4 days at Universal, and then 2-3 days in Clearwater.

Do your boys have any interest in Legoland? I know nothing about it, but I know (as of now) masks are only required there rather than recommended. My SIL took her kids to Sea World last year and they loved it. No idea how prices are there. Uber is an option, and I'd also suggest Tony Hinds for transportation. My SIL used him last year and it was seamless. Tony has also driven us out to Port Canaveral for a cruise, so I bet he'd be willing to do a drop off/pick up in the Cocoa Beach area if the beach is of any interest and you don't want to rent a car.

We're struggling with the same right now. On our typical trips, we'll do 7 days at WDW and 3 at Universal which is perfect for us. There have been times when we've done 4 days at Universal and as two adults who don't drink much, we lacked for things to do at times after we've had our fill of the parks. Swimming/pool hopping is always an option, and mini golf and the movie theater are there too, although I'm not sure if they've re-opened yet or what the plan is for them.

We're booked for 3 days at Universal and 7 at WDW in October, and considering canceling WDW and extending Universal by a couple days. We would plan to Uber to Disney Springs one day to get our fill of something Disney, plus they have great dining options. We're also throwing around the idea of renting a car for a day to go to Cocoa Beach. Or possibly staying 3-4 days at Universal, and then 2-3 days in Clearwater.

Do your boys have any interest in Legoland? I know nothing about it, but I know (as of now) masks are only required there rather than recommended. My SIL took her kids to Sea World last year and they loved it. No idea how prices are there. Uber is an option, and I'd also suggest Tony Hinds for transportation. My SIL used him last year and it was seamless. Tony has also driven us out to Port Canaveral for a cruise, so I bet he'd be willing to do a drop off/pick up in the Cocoa Beach area if the beach is of any interest and you don't want to rent a car.
Those are all good suggestions, but I’m trying to avoid paying for a second amusement park or having to travel very far. I have heard good things about Tony Hinds, but he is a bit out of my price range. I’m comfortable driving; it’s the financial aspect that prevents me from renting when I don’t need to.

Last year, I drove when I took my boys and their younger sister to Legoland, and also did some DS and resort hopping. My oldest says it’s too much of a tease to be that close to Disney and not go to the parks. I personally loved getting my “lite” Disney fix for free, though.

I’m researching I Drive activities, and some of those seem fun and reasonably priced. It looks like there are passes to bundle different Orlando attractions for a reduced rate. We might also go with something like a dinner show, if those are up and running by August.

I totally forgot about the Mini Golf and movies at City Walk. We’ll see if they are open in August.

We switched from Disney to Universal for our weeklong trip. Kind of heart breaking, but the price was so much better to do 4 day and 7 nights at Universal than Disney for a more limited experience. We plan on 3 days in the parks, 1 day at volcano bay. The customer services rep said last night they are now booking Horror night VIP tours, and that regular tickets should be on sale too again soon, so we plan on that. One day for lounging at the pool and going to Disney Springs for dinner and shopping- for our Disney fix. If we don’t do Horror nights we plan on renting a car for one day to go to cocoa beach. It’s going to be a more relaxing trip than Disney, and I’m actually looking forward to that.

you could go to the Hard Rock Cafe and see part of the Berlin Wall and also walk all around looking at the different mementos in the restaurant. At least I assume you can still do that but maybe not with social distancing.

At your age of the boys I’d plan for more pool time at Cabana Bay! My then 13 year old loved it last year, and with a pool that has a slide and the lazy river no need to pool hop. Cabana Bay also has the bowling alley- it is kinda pricey but it’s fun!

At your age of the boys I’d plan for more pool time at Cabana Bay! My then 13 year old loved it last year, and with a pool that has a slide and the lazy river no need to pool hop. Cabana Bay also has the bowling alley- it is kinda pricey but it’s fun!

If they still have it still, the prices for bowling were much cheaper before 4:00 pm. If I recall, it was half price or less during the day. But it's been a few years since I was last at CB

For august at cabana bay that slide and pool is closed until further notice.

We did 7 days in January. We spent Sun Mon Tues in the parks. Took it slow and really soaked it all in. Then Wed we rented a car, I think it around $50 (maybe even less) and spent the day at Kennedy Space center. On the way back we stopped at Disney Springs and had dinner at Raglan Road. It was a really great day. Then we spent Th Fr Sat at the parks. Thursday we slept in and then hit the water rides all day! we finally had time to do Fear Factor and the horror show. It was sooooo nice to NOT rush ! My daughter is ten. I know with a COVID things may be different but a longer trip really allows for relaxation and decreases the stress! Even if one of the days you all relax In the room and watch movies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter