Talk to me about Indiana Jones Adventure

It’s the best! When I told my teenage daughter that it might be under refurbishment during our November trip she said, “You might as well throw away the whole park.” Yes, that was a bit dramatic, but it’s her favorite. Luckily it does come out of refurbishment before we get there.

• Haha
Reactions: EmJ
You cannot miss it! It’s amazing! I remember growing up in the 90s and my dad and I would wake up early to be at the gates every single day and just ride it again and again. It was as popular then as it is now! Love that ride so much. My son was so obsessed after his first trip that he was Indiana Jones for Halloween after and then had an Indiana Jones themed birthday party. All because of that ride!

The ride is AMAZING, and the bumpiness only adds to the thrill. HIGHLY recommend.

That being said, if your kids are sensitive to scary images, it might be a bit much. I remember as a kid I was absolutely terrified of this ride because of all the skeletons, bugs and pitch-blackness. I even had to close my eyes during the walk-through since I was so afraid. But on the flip side, I know some kids can't get enough of that kind of stuff, so it's really how well your child deals with that sort of thing.

The ride is AMAZING, and the bumpiness only adds to the thrill. HIGHLY recommend.

That being said, if your kids are sensitive to scary images, it might be a bit much. I remember as a kid I was absolutely terrified of this ride because of all the skeletons, bugs and pitch-blackness. I even had to close my eyes during the walk-through since I was so afraid. But on the flip side, I know some kids can't get enough of that kind of stuff, so it's really how well your child deals with that sort of thing.
Thanks! He's too short to ride this year (43" now, might be 44" by March), but he could be tall enough by our 2021 trip.

He is a pretty adventurous kid. He isn't afraid of the dark, spooky Halloween decorations, anything in a costume (Things In Costumes are his favorite; even as a baby, he couldn't get enough Santa Claus, lol), or physical thrills. The only theme park he's ever been to is Legoland, which I know is tame in comparison, but his favorite rides are Ninjago 3D and the Technic Coaster. I've been showing him ride-throughs videos of Disney attractions, and he is very excited to see a skeleton shoot a canon in Pirates. We talk a lot about how it is not real, nothing can touch him, and he can't touch it. We watch ride-throughs where you can see people getting on and off the ride vehicle, so he can see they were safe getting off, and how other people are excited for their turn. The only thing he doesn't like is getting wet, which is why I basically bought a tiny baby hazmat suit to get him on Splash 😂

The rider swap for IJ is different from the rest of the park (as of a couple of weeks ago) in that they just give you a paper FP ticket to return anytime during that day. So very convenient to rider swap, unlike other rides where they load it electronically onto your ticket and it is good for an hour or so. For IJ you could ride it alone in the morning, and the other adult could return later that evening to ride. Worth it to rider swap. And you must ride it at least once. The trip is not just for the kids! And no guarantees your kid will ride it in 2021... my little guy (whose absolute FAVORITE ride is Guardians of the Galaxy, loves Space etc) was just tall enough this trip and was completely terrified.

It's my favorite ride in the park! I personally don't find it all that jerky, but I don't have a bad back/neck or anything else really. I'd say it's not anywhere near as bumpy as the Matterhorn. But if you don't like being tossed around a bit you might not like it. It's just beautifully themed and so much fun.

I also wanted to add that the first time we took our kids on IJ when they were finally big enough to go on it, they were really scared. Had their eyes closed for more than half the time. Then about a year later, we tried again and the kids ended up LOVING it.

Try it at least once because it really is that good. Yes, it's loud and bumpy -- but in a really good way! I always wear ear plugs, even for the queue. If you and/or your son are sensitive to loud noises, ear plugs or headphones can help. Make sure that your son (when he is ready to ride) sits in one of the inner seats -- kids can bounce around a LOT on this ride, so it can bring you peace of mind to know that you or your DH are in the outer seat. DH won't let me sit in the outer seat because he says watching me bounce around all over the place (my feet don't firmly touch the floor on this ride) makes him nervous!

The rider swap for IJ is different from the rest of the park (as of a couple of weeks ago) in that they just give you a paper FP ticket to return anytime during that day. So very convenient to rider swap, unlike other rides where they load it electronically onto your ticket and it is good for an hour or so. For IJ you could ride it alone in the morning, and the other adult could return later that evening to ride. Worth it to rider swap. And you must ride it at least once. The trip is not just for the kids! And no guarantees your kid will ride it in 2021... my little guy (whose absolute FAVORITE ride is Guardians of the Galaxy, loves Space etc) was just tall enough this trip and was completely terrified.
Well this sounds perfect! I wonder why they changed it for just IJA? In any event, I hope they’re still doing this when we get there!

OP - try targeting to go on it in the morning (like before 11 am) to minimize the possibility of ride break downs.
The current plan is Jungle Cruise at rope drop, which will likely be 9:00 am based on historical park hours, then Pirates, then Indiana Jones. So I don't know what time that would be, but surely (hopefully?) before 11:00!

How does the jerkiness compare to DINOSAUR!? Indy was closed on my first DLR visit, and we just did DINOSAUR! at WDW and it was very jerky; my 3 year old was enjoying the dinosaurs but eventually went fetal to deal with the constant jerks. I also found it jerky to the point of detrimental to the fun; I don't think it helped that we were in the last row. I'm trying to determine whether it makes sense to bring my son on IJA.

Try it at least once because it really is that good. Yes, it's loud and bumpy -- but in a really good way! I always wear ear plugs, even for the queue. If you and/or your son are sensitive to loud noises, ear plugs or headphones can help. Make sure that your son (when he is ready to ride) sits in one of the inner seats -- kids can bounce around a LOT on this ride, so it can bring you peace of mind to know that you or your DH are in the outer seat. DH won't let me sit in the outer seat because he says watching me bounce around all over the place (my feet don't firmly touch the floor on this ride) makes him nervous!
I need to start bringing earplugs. The lightning and thunder inside the line gets louder every time it seems

A note to add about IJ breaking down frequently-- Even if you plan to do single rider, I like getting FPs for Indy because a good percentage of the time it breaks down sometime during our return window. When this happens, your FP will convert to a "multi-experience" FP, which means you can use the FP on a number of other rides in DL at any time that day. That can come in SO HANDY because often we could come back and do Indy single rider, and then use the multi-experience for something else, later in the day, that normally we wouldn't be able to snag FPs for, like an extra ride on Space or BTMRR. We did this at least twice on our trip a few weeks ago.

A note to add about IJ breaking down frequently-- Even if you plan to do single rider, I like getting FPs for Indy because a good percentage of the time it breaks down sometime during our return window. When this happens, your FP will convert to a "multi-experience" FP, which means you can use the FP on a number of other rides in DL at any time that day. That can come in SO HANDY because often we could come back and do Indy single rider, and then use the multi-experience for something else, later in the day, that normally we wouldn't be able to snag FPs for, like an extra ride on Space or BTMRR. We did this at least twice on our trip a few weeks ago.
LOL! I do this. Like I said, it's down every two hours so you might as well take the fastpass to a different ride

It was my 7 year old's favorite ride in DL. We rode it multiple times over the 3 days we were there, and he requested it to be our very last ride of the trip. Yes, it's bumpy, and could be scary for some, but it's a must for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter