• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Talk to me about Coral Reef

luvmyguyz

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

We are planning our next trip to WDW in August. We have free dining because we booked a bounce back last year. We'll be traveling with our two sons (12 and 9 at time of travel) and my mom, and we'll be celebrating my 40th birthday this year.

Since we always seem to eat at the same places (Ohana, Tusker House, Garden Grill, Be Our Guest, to name a few), we want to try some new restaurants this time. DH and I love seafood, but we're definitely not food snobs - we enjoy chains like Red Lobster as much as we do more expensive restaurants.

Last year we went to Cape May Cafe and really enjoyed it. This year we are thinking we may like to try Coral Reef because it seems really cool to eat with that huge aquarium to look at, but the reviews are often so bad for the restaurant.

Have you eaten at Coral Reef recently? What was your impression of it? Is it worth trying, particularly with free dining? Is there another 1 credit table service restaurant that serves seafood that we should try instead on our Epcot day?

I appreciate your help!

Is there another 1 credit table service restaurant that serves seafood that we should try instead on our Epcot day?

Coral Reef is more about the ambiance and scenery than the food. I've never found the food to be bad (we even have an ADR their for our May trip, BUT we are going because of the 20% off AP discount this year), but it isnt in my top 5 in Epcot for sure. Captain's Grille has better food in my opinion, but nowhere near the ambiance.

Last edited:
I think that reviews run both ways for a lot of restaurants. I find CR hit or miss, but with kids, I would book it anyway. It is a fun place to have dinner.

There are so many great restaurants at Epcot that Coral Reef falls to the bottom of the list. I'm not a big fan of consuming poorly-prepared seafood while watching fish swim by.

The Flying Fish is much better seafood, and if you haven't been to the Boardwalk, it can be relaxing later afternoon/early evening watching the boardwalk performers. I'd recommend maybe planning the Boardwalk time on the same day as HS time, because you can easily get there by boat from HS and HS has less to do with all the construction going on.

The Flying Fish is much better seafood, and if you haven't been to the Boardwalk, it can be relaxing later afternoon/early evening watching the boardwalk performers. I'd recommend maybe planning the Boardwalk time on the same day as HS time, because you can easily get there by boat from HS and HS has less to do with all the construction going on.
Flying Fish is a signature location = 2 dining credits

I went to the Coral Reef for Christmas in 2015 for the Candlelight Processional and thought the food was good. When I was a kid, we always ate at Coral Reef because I loved watching the marine life. I was fascinated by the ocean, so if your children enjoy aquariums, then the restaurant would be a good experience. I think the food is much better than Red Lobster.

My husband would like to try the Flying Fish, but I don't think I want to use 2 credits - not when we're there with our kids, one of whom is the world's pickiest eater. Lol! We'll save that for a trip where it's just the two of us.

Hi everyone,

We are planning our next trip to WDW in August. We have free dining because we booked a bounce back last year. We'll be traveling with our two sons (12 and 9 at time of travel) and my mom, and we'll be celebrating my 40th birthday this year.

Since we always seem to eat at the same places (Ohana, Tusker House, Garden Grill, Be Our Guest, to name a few), we want to try some new restaurants this time. DH and I love seafood, but we're definitely not food snobs - we enjoy chains like Red Lobster as much as we do more expensive restaurants.

Last year we went to Cape May Cafe and really enjoyed it. This year we are thinking we may like to try Coral Reef because it seems really cool to eat with that huge aquarium to look at, but the reviews are often so bad for the restaurant.

Have you eaten at Coral Reef recently? What was your impression of it? Is it worth trying, particularly with free dining? Is there another 1 credit table service restaurant that serves seafood that we should try instead on our Epcot day?

I appreciate your help!
We very much enjoy Coral Reef, but the seafood-centric menu is too hit-or-miss for some people. But the room is a memory.

With two boys, a fun place is Biergarten.

Can't go wrong in France.

Spice Table is certainly something different for most people.

Coral Reef is an old favorite of mine. I have a detailed review of it with pictures posted in my dining report linked at the bottom of my signature. I just went in early december. You can click on the link on the first page so you don't have to endure my blathering about everything else to find it.

My son is asking me to go back on our next trip!

Last trip we had a reservation at Coral Reef, but then canceled it. The menu makes me sad. It's a seafood restaurant in Florida, and the seafood choices are terrible. Being located in Florida, it should be able to easily, and inexpensively feature local seafood like snapper and grouper, and dolphin, but instead it sticks to run of the mill, anywhere in middle America fish and meat choices.

Coral Reef is definitely meh. Had one good meal in there, probably because we were seated right next to the aquarium window. Gave it 2 more go's and was not great either time, and the service is really not good.

We've been there once and we're going back in March. Definitely not my favorite, but kids LOVE it and the food was fine. We had no problems with the service either. The aquarium aspect is just SO cool! HAVE FUN!

The Coral Reef is a long-time and long-standing "must do" restaurant for my wife and I. We've never had a bad meal there, and quite enjoy the entrees and desserts. The atmosphere is fantastic, especially if you get seated in the very front right next to the aquarium. I'm not a seafood eater so I generally get the chicken each time and each time, it's been terrific. For dessert, I usually get the Jack Daniels Mousse. Our last trip was about 4 years ago so I'm not sure if the menu's changed in that time.

However, as much as we love TCR and will always go back, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the service can be a bit spotty at times. Most of the time, it's fair or ok. On one occasion, the waitress seemed to give a bit of an attitude when we asked for a different drink. By and large, though, we've pretty much always had a good experience here and the food has always impressed.

(EDIT) I did just remember one thing that I did NOT like, and it was their pomegranate lemonade. It was just disgusting. I don't know if it's still on their menu, but if it is, please don't get it. And for Coral Reef management, please lose it in favor of straight-up lemonade.

Last edited:
I have eaten at quiet a few 1 credit TS restaurants and I always pick the Seafood choice on the menu.
Most all 1 credit TS restaurants have a Seafood (fish or Shrimp) entree choice and they have all been very good.
So I think it worth trying Coral Reef, you may like the atmosphere.
The reason we have not tried Coral Reef, is because we have a restaurant that looks like Coral Reef in our local Aquarium.

We enjoy Coral Reef we like sitting on the "second level" great views and nobody is trying to squeeze around you to close to the tank. The food has always been good. Not a must do for us but we enjoy it every few trips.

Kae

I went there 2 years ago on my Honeymoon and loved it (we also did the aqua seas tour later on our trip which was why we ate there in the first place). We are going back to CR in May for my birthday and fingers crossed we will love it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter