Talk me into/out of buying RIV direct...

You definitely need to see it in person, apart from Topolinos it’s a very average resort in a strange location, looking down at Caribbean Beach

Not worth the point chart imo
To each their own, we like that it’s situated between Epcot and HS. I’ll admit it’s location isn’t as good as either BC/BW’s but we prefer the style of Riviera’s rooms to the other 2 and in 2042, only one of these resorts will still have contracts. BC/BW point charts are better, but you’re also paying more per point per year at BC/BW. If you don’t think you’ll survive, want to keep your DVC or want to pass down your contracts to your kids after 2042 then by all means pick BC/BW and be done with it. But if you pick RIV there’s nothing that says you cant use your RIV points at BW/BC and utilize those more friendly point charts until 2042 and likely less friendly points charts after 2042. BC is a lot less likely to get into but BW has been available for the most part at 7 months assuming you’re okay with staying in a P/G view. Just really depends on what you value more.

Last edited:
Another thought.... I'm kind of in the same boat. We are BWV lovers but own AKL and VDH direct, aulani resale. We used to do studios but now we are spoiled 1 bedroom people (it's all about the laundry and having a door to close so kids/DH can sleep when I get up at 230 am for rundisney events). We are a family of 4 but my SIL joins us a lot for run weekends. The BWV and BC 1 beds only sleep 4 and it is killing me this trip because that is our go to resort but my kids are now out of the pack and play. I'm looking at RIV as the 5th sleeper only option for Epcot and it kills me. We need another 150 direct points to round out our ownership and I was thinking Poly tower but booked RIV for this November to check it out. I can usually book BWV one bedrooms race weekends but RIV is always sold out. That home advantage might be better at RIV than poly if we like it there... though let's be honest incentives will also drive the decision.

The reason the choice is difficult is that there is no right or wrong answer. Do what feels best for you.

If you love Beach Club or Boardwalk, you still get 18 years there on the contracts. That's still a long time! Plus take into account that the point charts there are much lower than Riviera. Some room categories are a steal if you can get them, but would absolutely need the 11 month advantage.

I own at Riviera, mainly because we are a young family and I wanted the longest contract possible. Don't get me wrong, we love the resort but use the direct points to try other places when possible. However, those point charts at Riviera are high! If your plan is to use them at Riviera between Christmas and New Years, the most expensive week of the year, a standard studio runs over 200 points for the week, if you can get it. 255 points for the "preferred" view. Boardwalk, for comparison, would be 158 points for the standard view, and 198 for the preferred view. Ultimately, if the reason for not buying where you want to be, either Boardwalk or Beach Club, is the cost with the shorter expiration date, don't forget to factor in the cost of needing to buy 50+ more points at Riviera for a comparable room. At that point, buying that fixed week seems almost necessary for the peace of mind of getting cheaper room without the hassle.

The reason the choice is difficult is that there is no right or wrong answer. Do what feels best for you.

If you love Beach Club or Boardwalk, you still get 18 years there on the contracts. That's still a long time! Plus take into account that the point charts there are much lower than Riviera. Some room categories are a steal if you can get them, but would absolutely need the 11 month advantage.

I own at Riviera, mainly because we are a young family and I wanted the longest contract possible. Don't get me wrong, we love the resort but use the direct points to try other places when possible. However, those point charts at Riviera are high! If your plan is to use them at Riviera between Christmas and New Years, the most expensive week of the year, a standard studio runs over 200 points for the week, if you can get it. 255 points for the "preferred" view. Boardwalk, for comparison, would be 158 points for the standard view, and 198 for the preferred view. Ultimately, if the reason for not buying where you want to be, either Boardwalk or Beach Club, is the cost with the shorter expiration date, don't forget to factor in the cost of needing to buy 50+ more points at Riviera for a comparable room. At that point, buying that fixed week seems almost necessary for the peace of mind of getting cheaper room without the hassle.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts/family’s perspective. I think my original post may have been a bit confusing re: traveling Christmas - NYE. I already own a resale GW for the last week in December at CCV, so would not need RIV for that. My point was that because I always travel that week, getting the reduced rate annual pass benefit by buying direct is moot bc I’d always need the Incredipass due to blackout periods … so it was more so whether buying resale vs direct RIV made more sense for travel at less crowded times throughout the year.

I do absolutely see the benefit of being able to use other resorts by buying direct - especially BWV - through 2042 and use RIV more exclusively post 2042.

We’re actually in WDW now and there’s no denying that Crescent Lake properties are my fave. We did spend some time at RIV yesterday and I can absolutely see why folks love it - it’s beautiful. We especially loved Primo Piatto - what a gem.

Just spent 3 nights at BCV and 3 nights in BWV.. actually still in a BW view studio as I’m typing this but after this trip it’s made me feel reaffirmed in my decision to own RIV. Don’t get me wrong, the views and location here are amazing but IDK something to think about for the studios is the studios at Riviera have the extra shower. I feel like I’ve been pretty unlucky with my room locations at BW because it always feels like a trek. I did end up dropping the 4 nights I had in a BW view studio during the Typhoon Lagoon Moonlight Magic in July while on this trip and probably made someone very happy because we decided we’d rather be at Riviera and get the extra shower with 4 adults. The point difference between RIV and the BW room was only 1 point more per night and we decided that was worth it. We actually did appreciate BCV being a little bit closer to Epcot than BWV and of course Stormalong Bay access but I did not think SAB was really all it was hyped up to be. The lazy river was a little too deep for my partner who isn’t the best of swimmers. Other than that though, will continue to happily use our resale points on BCV/BWV and feel content knowing our RIV points will keep us in the Epcot/HS area for a long time :)

IMG_6626.jpeg

Last edited:

Wow, great shot, i didn't realize you could see the ball from BWV.!!

Fireworks too :). Like I said, it’s a great resort with a great location. As much as I love it, I’m happy snagging 7 month availability during less desirable travel periods and staying here once a year or so and staying at RIV for the other trips.

IMG_6651.png

Last edited:
Just spent 3 nights at BCV and 3 nights in BWV.. actually still in a BW view studio as I’m typing this but after this trip it’s made me feel reaffirmed in my decision to own RIV. Don’t get me wrong, the views and location here are amazing but IDK something to think about for the studios is the studios at Riviera have the extra shower. I feel like I’ve been pretty unlucky with my room locations at BW because it always feels like a trek. I did end up dropping the 4 nights I had in a BW view studio during the Typhoon Lagoon Moonlight Magic in July while on this trip and probably made someone very happy because we decided we’d rather be at Riviera and get the extra shower with 4 adults. The point difference between RIV and the BW room was only 1 point more per night and we decided that was worth it. We actually did appreciate BCV being a little bit closer to Epcot than BWV and of course Stormalong Bay access but I did not think SAB was really all it was hyped up to be. The lazy river was a little too deep for my partner who isn’t the best of swimmers. Other than that though, will continue to happily use our resale points on BCV/BWV and feel content knowing our RIV points will keep us in the Epcot/HS area for a long time :)

View attachment 844483
Yep - I think this will end up being our approach as well. I will admit that my bias towards BCV and BWC have actually nothing to do with the resort rooms/amenities themselves - I’m not even a fan of SAB. I just value the proximity - and most importantly the walking access - to EPCOT and HS. I prefer walking in the heat, in the cold, with a stroller - even some days in the rain! To me not having to be dependent on a mode of transportation on vacation helps me de-stress. 🤷‍♀️

We have been beyond happy with Riviera as a home resort. We have traveled every other year with extended family ranging in age from 6 months to 80s and have stayed at almost all the DVC properties except AKL and OKW. On our last trip RIV was everyone’s new favorite and they mentioned several times when we switched to our split stay at BC and GFV that they liked RIV most. In our upcoming trip they unanimously asked if we can stay at RIV the whole time instead of doing a split stay like we have enjoyed doing in the past.

We also really like having the ability to walk, although we really enjoy the skyliner too. What we have done is take the skyliner to the park when there is no essentially no wait, but then at EPCOT park close we walk to either BCV or BWV and just take an Uber/Lyft back to RIV. We can order the ride as we are walking back and it has arrived just as we are walking up every time. It’s about a 3 min and $12 ride and has made all the difference when everyone is tired and doesn’t want to wait another 20 min. Given how much we spend overall on DVC and Disney once we are there, the occasional Lyft/Uber ride is well worth the price of convenience!

Yep - I think this will end up being our approach as well. I will admit that my bias towards BCV and BWC have actually nothing to do with the resort rooms/amenities themselves - I’m not even a fan of SAB. I just value the proximity - and most importantly the walking access - to EPCOT and HS. I prefer walking in the heat, in the cold, with a stroller - even some days in the rain! To me not having to be dependent on a mode of transportation on vacation helps me de-stress. 🤷‍♀️
Based on that, i would say buy BW/BC, because the skyliner can go down, & the walk is definitely further from RIV. ;)

We have been beyond happy with Riviera as a home resort. We have traveled every other year with extended family ranging in age from 6 months to 80s and have stayed at almost all the DVC properties except AKL and OKW. On our last trip RIV was everyone’s new favorite and they mentioned several times when we switched to our split stay at BC and GFV that they liked RIV most. In our upcoming trip they unanimously asked if we can stay at RIV the whole time instead of doing a split stay like we have enjoyed doing in the past.

We also really like having the ability to walk, although we really enjoy the skyliner too. What we have done is take the skyliner to the park when there is no essentially no wait, but then at EPCOT park close we walk to either BCV or BWV and just take an Uber/Lyft back to RIV. We can order the ride as we are walking back and it has arrived just as we are walking up every time. It’s about a 3 min and $12 ride and has made all the difference when everyone is tired and doesn’t want to wait another 20 min. Given how much we spend overall on DVC and Disney once we are there, the occasional Lyft/Uber ride is well worth the price of convenience!
Uber has really changed the game for us at WDW. If you don't need a car seat or ECVs it's so nice. We've done the same thing of walking out of Epcot and catching a ride to our resort at BCV. I'm surprised it's not more popular. Maybe just the psychological thing of paying for something Disney provides for free. But like you said in the total cost of a WDW trip a few Uber rides is negligible.

Fireworks too :). Like I said, it’s a great resort with a great location. As much as I love it, I’m happy snagging 7 month availability during less desirable travel periods and staying here once a year or so and staying at RIV for the other trips.

View attachment 844488
Absolutely love that view. Rest of my family stayed the hotel side while we had the BWV Boardwalk view. They came to visit our room several nights. Kids watched both MK and Epcot fireworks from the balcony. To this day, family members call it one of the best times they have ever had at Disney. (Pretty cool for a family that started going to DL in the 60s and been to WDW too many times to count starting in 73 or 74).

Uber has really changed the game for us at WDW. If you don't need a car seat or ECVs it's so nice. We've done the same thing of walking out of Epcot and catching a ride to our resort at BCV. I'm surprised it's not more popular. Maybe just the psychological thing of paying for something Disney provides for free. But like you said in the total cost of a WDW trip a few Uber rides is negligible.
You take an Uber/Lyft from Epcot to Beach Club??

If you really don’t want to worry about skyliner and that’s a big enough dealbreaker then I would go with BC/BW. They do run buses from where the skyliner entrance is at International Gateway when the skyliner is down to RIV but if it’s walk or bust then it has to be BC or BW.

If you really don’t want to worry about skyliner and that’s a big enough dealbreaker then I would go with BC/BW. They do run buses from where the skyliner entrance is at International Gateway when the skyliner is down to RIV but if it’s walk or bust then it has to be BC or BW.
They run buses from Intl Gateway to RIV when the skyliner is down? I always thought you needed to go to the front entrance of Epcot for the bus. This is great news!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter