Taking the kids without your spouse?

I'm similar to you; DH likes Disney just fine, but hasn't always enjoyed it quite as much as the kids & I did. So, one year when we had AP's, I found a great rate at AKL & booked it for 4 nights. Kids were 4 and 6 (and travelled well; we travel all the time since they were infants. First time I flew alone with both of them youngest was 3 months old, oldest was just 2 years old, busy but totally fine).

We had a blast! I watched them swim, we did a few hours a day at the parks, they took turns in our stroller (I brought a really good lightweight reclining single one). That year we took 3 trips to Disney, two with DH and one alone.

Since then I took them solo almost every year. DH joins us every couple years or so too.

We take family vacations, adult only ones (now more often as the kids are older, back when they were younger it was more weekends here and there), and also my youngest and I take trips just the two of us sometimes.

Vacations are not just for the whole family. They are what you want to do and have the time for. I'm a SAHM, my husband has a demanding job, but makes very good money so vacations are something we can afford to do often. Matter of fact, now I am gone pretty much every 2-3 months somewhere.

I found at 4 and 6, the kids were at a very easy age! For meals, we only did counter service. I'd sit them at a table to wait for me, and then I'd go get the food and bring the tray (I could always see them). They simply didn't want to sit for too long eating, and that was cheap too. We did have a few rules, like when someone had to go to the bathroom, we ALL went in together (and in a large stall or family restroom if possible), and we ALL had to try to go potty. That cut down on "I gotta go" times! And we would also be back in the room by early evening, 7pm or so, so they'd get baths and have time to wind down before normal bedtime.

It was fun for me, since I just had them pick what rides they wanted to do. I was happy just being there and hanging out!

Vacations are for famlies - i woudln't go without yrou DH

That is crazy. My husband has gone on trips with his guy friends, and I've gone on many with girls as well as my sister and mom as a married mother myself.

So you're saying you would never go away without your spouse? I do it all the time. With him, and without him.

Kids grow too quickly! We've reached the point where we've outgrown "family" vacations; both my kids work full time, one is also in college full time (working for the summer on research), and now have different interests. Last summer we took what is likely our last family vacation.

I'm similar to you; DH likes Disney just fine, but hasn't always enjoyed it quite as much as the kids & I did. So, one year when we had AP's, I found a great rate at AKL & booked it for 4 nights. Kids were 4 and 6 (and travelled well; we travel all the time since they were infants. First time I flew alone with both of them youngest was 3 months old, oldest was just 2 years old, busy but totally fine).

We had a blast! I watched them swim, we did a few hours a day at the parks, they took turns in our stroller (I brought a really good lightweight reclining single one). That year we took 3 trips to Disney, two with DH and one alone.

Since then I took them solo almost every year. DH joins us every couple years or so too.

We take family vacations, adult only ones (now more often as the kids are older, back when they were younger it was more weekends here and there), and also my youngest and I take trips just the two of us sometimes.

Vacations are not just for the whole family. They are what you want to do and have the time for. I'm a SAHM, my husband has a demanding job, but makes very good money so vacations are something we can afford to do often. Matter of fact, now I am gone pretty much every 2-3 months somewhere.

I found at 4 and 6, the kids were at a very easy age! For meals, we only did counter service. I'd sit them at a table to wait for me, and then I'd go get the food and bring the tray (I could always see them). They simply didn't want to sit for too long eating, and that was cheap too. We did have a few rules, like when someone had to go to the bathroom, we ALL went in together (and in a large stall or family restroom if possible), and we ALL had to try to go potty. That cut down on "I gotta go" times! And we would also be back in the room by early evening, 7pm or so, so they'd get baths and have time to wind down before normal bedtime.

It was fun for me, since I just had them pick what rides they wanted to do. I was happy just being there and hanging out!

How cool! I know that the three of us could manage, it would just be strange without him. BUT, pretty sure being st Disney would center my thoughts!

That is crazy. My husband has gone on trips with his guy friends, and I've gone on many with girls as well as my sister and mom as a married mother myself.

So you're saying you would never go away without your spouse? I do it all the time. With him, and without him.

Kids grow too quickly! We've reached the point where we've outgrown "family" vacations; both my kids work full time, one is also in college full time (working for the summer on research), and now have different interests. Last summer we took what is likely our last family vacation.

I agee. I just haven't done it yet! Lol

[QUOTE="happymommy, post: 59430582, member: 103849" So you're saying you would never go away without your spouse?[/QUOTE]

Exactly - unless we are at work or he is gone for military, we are always together - we don't do ANYTHING separate

Apropos of this topic the man is now at WDW with the kids and no me. A death in the family caused me not to leave today. Good thing DGD downloaded the Disney app on her phone since her grandfather will have NOTHING to do w/ such modern foolishness;). At least somebody besides me now knows the week's itinerary.

My DD and I are about to go on our 3rd trip sans hubby. (She is 6) My DH doesn’t love it as much as I do so he tells us to go with out him. Plus my dd loves having a special girls trip !

To make it easy on myself, I always stay onsite. We fly and I don’t want to deal with rental car. I also order food for the room - milk, fruit, granola bars. Just don’t want to have to worry about needing to leave the room when my kiddo doesn’t want to or sleeping. I also try and book non-character meals. I think character meal buffets are really stressful with only parent. I also tend to make the trip entirely about my kid and what she wants to do.... versus our family trips where it’s about trying to do stuff that the whole family enjoys.

Have fun!!!

[QUOTE="happymommy, post: 59430582, member: 103849" So you're saying you would never go away without your spouse?

Exactly - unless we are at work or he is gone for military, we are always together - we don't do ANYTHING separate[/QUOTE]

Wow! My husband was military as well, a JAG officer with the Marines in Hawaii.

We have together time (more now that the kids are older and we can relax some; as you know when kids are little they need such supervision) and also alone time as we are separate people with some unique interests. I don't bike, but he did a Napa Valley wine bike tour for his 50th birthday (knock yourself out, Honey, I ain't biking 50 miles a day), while for my 50th, I did a girls' trip to Mexico at a very high end resort with my BFF since 4th grade and my sister.

Exactly - unless we are at work or he is gone for military, we are always together - we don't do ANYTHING separate

Wow! My husband was military as well, a JAG officer with the Marines in Hawaii.

We have together time (more now that the kids are older and we can relax some; as you know when kids are little they need such supervision) and also alone time as we are separate people with some unique interests. I don't bike, but he did a Napa Valley wine bike tour for his 50th birthday (knock yourself out, Honey, I ain't biking 50 miles a day), while for my 50th, I did a girls' trip to Mexico at a very high end resort with my BFF since 4th grade and my sister.
There you are... 2 versions of long term relationships and they both work for the participants:cool2:.

My DH will be gone for a few weeks in September. He likes Disney but doesn't love to the way the kids and I do. We have a long weekend when he's gone. I'm thinking of taking them for a quick trip. He said he's okay with it. We just went a few weeks ago but I want to go again! We would keep the trip as inexpensive as possible. WWYD? FYI, my kids are both 8. Never traveled alone with them before.

You'll be fine, especially at your kids ages. My husband is military and gone often, and really I've always travelled alone with mine (I have 3), and have travelled from ages of 4 weeks up through now my oldest is 16. We've done Disney a handful of times, along with others. Go and have fun. At 8 years old for both you guys will have a great time.

I went in 2008 when my girls were 3 and 5. DH went with his brother on a 2-week elk hunting trip in Montana so I decided that instead of sitting home, I would take the girls to WDW while he was gone. I brought a friend with me to help with strollers and such and we had a blast. DH is still not a big Disney fan and has made it very clear that 2016 was going to be his last visit "for a long time", but we are free to go without him. So, this October, the girls (who are now 13 and 15) will be taking our first vacation without DH. We are looking forward to our "Girls Only" trip, and DH is ecstatic that he gets to stay home with the dogs for an entire week and have the house all to himself...estrogen-free!:rotfl:

In November, hubby goes up to our property in Northern Michigan and goes deer hunting for 3-5 days. The girls are always invited (our younger daughter got her first deer last year during the youth hunt!) but they usually opt to stay home. I have no desire to get up before dawn and sit out in the freezing cold woods. That's not my idea of a good time, which is probably the same way DH feels about WDW. I don't go hunting, he doesn't go to WDW and we are both happy:goodvibes.

I went in April with my (then) 8 and 10 year olds for a week. Left husband and 2 year old at home. It was a unique situation and what worked best for our family, and it was go then or don't go. We had a blast and travelling with them was no issue at all. The only problem we ran into was the 8 year old doesn't love coasters so while we got her on most everything we wanted to ride (including RNRC) she wouldn't budge on Everest. Technically the 10 year old could have gone herself but she didn't want to, and honestly we had encountered so many ride break-downs that I wasn't super into sending her on there without me. Other than that, the trip was awesome!

I would love to plan a trip like this! My DH recently began his travels internationally for work, so he is getting to see the world. Of course the kids and I can't go! It would be lovely to be able to plan something like a short trip for us when he is away. Unfortunately, he doesn't want to miss any vacation time or trips with the kids, so we just have to wait for him. Take advantage of the time you get to create fun memories whenever you can!! :)

Heck yes. My DH tolerates WDW, but would prefer to go elsewhere. I started taking DS on my own when he was 3 1/2. We now do WDW alone together on a yearly basis (sometimes more than once a year) and will going alone together again in August. My DS (who is now 10) loves these trips! (so do I!). We have our own traditions that we do on each trip and we have such a great time. DS calls it our special bonding time and DH is more than happy to simply stay home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter