Taking the kids without your spouse?

I'd have no issue with my wife and kids went to Disney without me, jealous yes, but that's it. During my work career my wife and boys have taken half dozen trips without me. She's a teacher, I'm not so summer means work.

I say go have fun with your kids!

Go! I've done it with all three kids from birth onward. I've even gone with just one child and left the others at home with Dad. Hubby and I have gone without the kids too. I don't regret any of those trips. Children are only kids for so long take advantage of making memories while you are able because before you know it they will be moving on to adulthood. Seize the day while the still opportunity presents itself.

I remember taking my 3 year old son and my 82 year old grandmother! Lots of fun but completely exhausting experience! Luckily I was young. My H always considered going more than every 4 years a chore. Because of schedules and a nine year difference in our children's ages, I took him many times alone! Amazing trips, one had more magic than you could ever imagine! Take that trip with your kids! Enjoy them thoroughly!!! By the way, since the addition of our grandson, my husband has completely changed his stance on the every four years rule! Now it's becoming once a year and the conversation is much different! "We should plan a trip to WDW for GS!" Husband, "book it!" "We should stay at the Poly, we'd have the monorail and a view of the fireworks before we tuck him in!" Husband, "book it!" "We should do ppo character breakfasts each day that we can!" DH, "book it!"
Yeah, it never went like that before!

My husband isn’t fond of Disney as well.
I took my twins by myself when they were 4 years old and we had a great time together enjoying our love for Disney. Once I decide I want to shell out that kind of money for a vacation I don’t care about buying popcorn for the kids or do a character meal.

Next time he came along was cranky yelled at me for wanting to buy a dole whip and not allowing the kids to have snacks. It took a lot of fun away for us 3.
We all love him dearly but next time we’ll go without him again
Equally I don’t join them on their camping trips

My girls and I travel to WDW and the cruise without DH. First time was when the were 2&3 years old. He has an unpredictable work schedule and now that the kids are older, we are limited to school breaks and his work schedule just has not cooperated the last few times. Also he refuses to go on the cruise and says to go and have fun without him. It is not weird at all. Just because you are married does not mean you are attached to a person. We all like different things. And he would NEVER want us to miss out on a vacation just because he can not go. Life is short. Do not miss out on these experiences with your children. Take them when you can get them.

My husband does not like Disney and is unable to get the same vacations as me. I have taken the kids a few times by myself. We all love it!

I did this last Feb. Loved it so much I'm doing it again in November. For me, since my hubby also likes but not loves Disney, we get to geek out and do things I wouldn't normally do while trying to make sure hubby enjoys himself. I actually preferred going without him.

I’ve taken two kids twice (with my mom), taken a mother daughter trip with our DD and am currently booked to bring my 13 year old son alone in September.

DH and I were just there two weeks ago and he’s okay with not going. He’ll usually travel with his brother somewhere when I go to Disney without him.....sometimes a fishing trip, once a short cruise. If it was the only vacation we were taking that year I’d never go without him, and I even asked him to take DS but he wasn’t cracked about the idea. We are okay with vacationing apart occasionally because we have different passions. He likes Disney and we had a great adults only trip this month, but it’s not his first choice if where to go

Absolutely, do it!

In December 2017 I went to WDW with my DS and left my DH at home! He had just started a new job and it wasn't the best idea to pull him away a week into his new job, plus he had no interest in joining us. We were not totally alone, as my Dad and Aunt came along... but DH wasn't there. We had a fantastic time, honestly I think that we had a better time than we would haveif DH would have come along.

We are planning a big family trip for December 2019, and DH will be accompanying us as well as my DSS - and I hope we have as good a time together as DS and I did without them! :D:D:D

Last edited:
I've taken my oldest to WDW just the two of us three times (twice before he had a sibling, once after), and I took both kids to Disneyland last year partly without DH (we went out there five days earlier, including three days in the parks, and then DH joined us for other California touring plus a last day at DL). DH enjoys Disney every few years, I am happiest if I get to go yearly, so mixing whole family trips and just-mom trips makes everyone happy. I did feel a little guilty about taking just the 8 yo this year and leaving the 3 yo at home, but we had a ball and got to do so much more (and have so many more real conversations) than if we'd had a preschooler tagging along.

I’m looking forward for a mommy/daughter trip this week. My husband is staying home and working “in the air conditioning”. We just went the beginning of June for a week with the extended family. I’m off this week and mentioned I would like to go back while we were on our way home from the June trip. He was quick to tell me to go. But he wanted to stay home. So we are going with another mommy/daughter.

We are all annual pass holders and can drive, so it’s a cheap trip for us. We are trying an off site stay. Hopefully it goes smoothly. We are all excited to go.

I took the kids myself when they were 3 and 4, we're doing it again this summer 10 years later, they're 13 and 14 now. My DH hates Disney (he'll cruise but doesn't like crowds so the parks are torture for him). He's also a different sort of traveler, like long, sit down meals, which the rest of us view as a waste of time, so it makes it a lot easier to go without him!

To get in an extra trip to Disney, go for it!! I would go without my husband, but he's as much of a fan as I am and there is no way I could convince him to let us go. 8 is such a fun age too, it'll be a blast! Have a great time!!

I would definitely go for it. I am taking my oldest who is 8 on a Mother/Daughter trip this summer and leaving my 3 year old with Grandma for a few days.

I've been taking my kids on Mommy and Me trips now for the last 4 or 5 years. DH isn't as into Disney as we are so I take them one at a time. If I could manage all three on my own I'd go for it, but my 6 year old twins are more than a handful so I'd need the extra adult. If you are comfortable I say go for it!

My hubby and I very rarely are able to take the same time periods off work. I won't say we don't vacation together if we can, but... I take our kid on vacations. He takes our kid on vacations. She gets double the trips AND alone time with a parent. We've been doing this since she was in kindergarten.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter